A Special Greeting For Those Still Outside China (not for the squeamish...)

• 61 replies
Let's put it this way:
China was sort of forced first to stay underdeveloped and then - to develop really fast. Technical progress is prevailing over the moral (%% wise).
It is happening in India as well. Of course two countries are very different!

As Missi said: we like it here despite all those things that normally make us shrug. Things that they were/are taught to be normal and we are taught to be abnormal.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Urine is sterile. It's probably the cleanest the code reader has ever been. (maybe the check out girl too.)

Yes, Stil. You are mostly welcome to start practicing urinotheraphy  agagagagag

Let's put it this way:
China was sort of forced first to stay underdeveloped and then - to develop really fast. Technical progress is prevailing over the moral (%% wise).
It is happening in India as well. Of course two countries are very different!

As Missi said: we like it here despite all those things that normally make us shrug. Things that they were/are taught to be normal and we are taught to be abnormal.

Yes.  Thing is, India has many things that are extremely familiar, like English speaking people, democracy, freedom of speech, etc, all of which are the result of the British rule.  On the other hand it has poverty the like of which I have never seen in China, even in the most rundown parts.

To go back to the bog theme, the Indians would never countenace the sort of communal bogs the chinese have.  Even though they are always squats, there is always your own, private cubicle...
It is too early to say.

Vegemite

Urine is sterile. It's probably the cleanest the code reader has ever been. (maybe the check out girl too.)

Very sterile - when swimming if you get stung by a jelly-fish you have to get someone to piddle on it ASAP. bbbbbbbbbb

Stil

• ChangshaNotes

Very sterile - when swimming if you get stung by a jelly-fish you have to get someone to piddle on it ASAP. bbbbbbbbbb

Yes. Being a good samaritan I pee on everybody I see swimming just in case they get stung by a jellyfish.

The people at my local pool don't seem to reconise how generous I am.

Vegemite

No jelly-fish in indoor pools Stil...you're better just peeing outside.

Is the pooping and peeing in public places common in most parts of China? We have a regular pooper and peeer who does his morning business just in front of our apartments, a lovely old man who sometimes has difficulty squatting properly.
And it's not only in front of our apartment - walking through the park can be an interesting experience at times, and in winter it wasn't even just the park but the street gutters as well.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
Urine is sterile if the person is healthy. Cleaner than tap water in this respect, if less congenial in terms of nitrates etc.

Pissing on people is considered antisocial. Those who wish to consider it should perhaps carry a box jelly fish to facilitate their personal interactions.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Vegemite

Pissing on people is considered antisocial. Those who wish to consider it should perhaps carry a box jelly fish to facilitate their personal interactions.

Or you become a teacher on an island...where it says in the first aid kit that if a student is stung by a jellyfish, you must urinate on them.

Mimi

In high school, I worked in wardrobe at a diving show.  When the divers would get out of the water, they would all blow their noses on the ground in a very grand and noisy way.  I never, ever got used to it.  I suppose I won't in China either.

That picture actually gave me nightmares, but I think I can handle it :)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
That picture IS the nightmare...unfortunately one that's too often real. aoaoaoaoao

No, wait...Gerge's lecture on self-control, seen early in the thread...THAT'S the real  nightmare. apapapapap
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Borkya

Jeez, thanks for resurrecting this older thread Raoul so us newbies would make sure not to miss it.  aaaaaaaaaa

Schnerby

You know you're in China when you see this thread and just say, "yeah, I've seen worse."

aoaoaoaoao

I still love telling people about my toilet adventures in China. The expression on their faces by the end of the story is priceless...can't wait to see my friends I haven't seen in 4 years this weekend so I can tell all my wonderful horror stories.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
I think I told this story on a previous incarnation of Raoul's, but I'll tell it again.

I was travelling from singsongbanana (xixiangbana? something like that) back to Kunming on a sleeper bus. The bus pulled up at a toilet. We all got out, stretch legs, some people smoking etc as per usual. There was garbage piled in mounds around the entrance to the toilet. I was dubious. It looked bad from the outside. I pondered whether to go now, or wait until the next stop. I watched as a guy went in, walked quickly and immediately back out, then pissed down the hill instead. Some toilets even the locals can't stand.

I decided to wait until the next stop, got back on the bus and went back to sleep.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.