Dual Passport Problems?

• 10 replies

piglet

• Piglet's House
Dual Passport Problems?
« on: August 21, 2011, 01:34:47 AM »
Ok so now I am really getting confused. I am leaving TEl Aviv and my Visa for China is in my British Passport. Am I right in thinking it's okay to leave Israel on my Israeli passport and then arrive in China and present them with my British Passport?
And of course we are going through Frankfurt. Do I have to show any passport there and if so which one?? Sorry if I am panicking but this is a bit more complicated than my regular 2 week trip abroad.  ananananan
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Re: Dual Passport Problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 02:24:09 AM »
Ok so now I am really getting confused. I am leaving TEl Aviv and my Visa for China is in my British Passport. Am I right in thinking it's okay to leave Israel on my Israeli passport and then arrive in China and present them with my British Passport?
And of course we are going through Frankfurt. Do I have to show any passport there and if so which one?? Sorry if I am panicking but this is a bit more complicated than my regular 2 week trip abroad.  ananananan

It's fairly simple. The rule of thumb is that you use the same passport to exit a country as you did to enter it. So, you should exit Israel on the same passport you entered the country, and then use your British passport to enter China.

As a rule (and in some countries as the law) if you enter or leave one of the countries where you have citizenship (in your case the UK or Israel), you should use that country's passport. I presume you last entered israel using the Israeli passport.

Hope this makes things clear for you.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 03:17:35 AM »
Yes thanks Mr Benn that was what I assumed but nice to have confirmation from My Learned Friend  bjbjbjbjbj

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »
Just confirming the confirmation. JLMB is on the nosey. bfbfbfbfbf
You should always enter and leave a country on the same passport. But leaving one place on one passport, then entering another on a different passport is no problem.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:08:32 AM »
thank you oh wise one. I shall blame you when I get arrested at the border  :wtf:

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
If you do want to switch and don' want to leave Israel on the UK passport, see if they'll let you leave Germany on the UK passport.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Shhh don't mention the war

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:50:02 AM »
Shhh don't mention the war

ahahahahah You can only say that on BBC. bibibibibi

This is no help, but my ex-wife was born in HK. She moved to Taipei, pre-1997 and had two passports: British National Overseas (no right of abode in Great Britain) and a ROC. We got married in Canada and I decided the honeymoon cruise was from Bangkok to San Francisco. Two 'ports of call' were HK & Shanghai - the ultimate visa nightmare!

In the end it all worked out... but only because I threatend to start a war... and had lots of money (I think the latter). I almost spent my honeymoon alone... LOL.

I will pray for you by doing this at the base of the temple.  llllllllll

Good luck!  bfbfbfbfbf
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 03:17:38 AM »
Thank you cruisemonkey you have been most (un)helpful  bjbjbjbjbj

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
You're welcome... I'm always glad to be unhelpful.  ahahahahah

My current situation is beyond bizzare. If everything works the way it should, I'll depart K-land for Denmark, jump on a ship bound for Ft. Lauderdale through: Norway, Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, & Canada. I'll make my way back up to Canada from Florida (hopefully).  ababababab
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
My current situation is beyond bizzare. If everything works the way it should, I'll depart K-land for Denmark, jump on a ship bound for Ft. Lauderdale through: Norway, Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland, & Canada. I'll make my way back up to Canada from Florida (hopefully).  ababababab

One wrong turn and you can get an all-expense paid vacation at the Guantanamo Resort. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com