anyone know about the health check?

• 14 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
anyone know about the health check?
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
I just had to do my health check and I don't look too healthy. Everything is ok except my blood test has high liver enzymes, this is a serious thing I'm addressing but I have my visa check on monday and have a bad report to hand in.

I'm pretty worried about failing my visa because that, you know, fucks my whole life up....

Does anyone know any details about how strict they are? what i can do etc

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
Re: anyone know about the health check?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
Not too strict, in my experience. As long as a person passes the AIDS test, no problem.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
Did you get it done in China? If so, I wouldn't be TOO worried about it. I'm sure they test differently, either using different methods of scales which actually make the results worse than they really are. It's frustrating- I got a medical done here in Shenzhen a couple of months back, says I have an abnormal spine, bordering on high blood pressure and something (not too serious) wrong with my heart!!! When I had to redo the entire medical again a couple of weeks ago back in Australia, I got the doctor to compare the results. Nothing wrong, other than the wierd eye (which has been all my life)! Doc put it down to different scaling for foreigners here or something.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

jpd01

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
Yeah they can be a little inaccurate at times because doctors here in still labor until the myth that the great han race has a different physiology than all the other people of the world.
Seriously, they actually believe that they descended from a different branch of the human family to the rest of the world even though this belief has been dis-proven by western and Chinese anthropologists alike time and time again. 
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
They told me my liver was "fatty".  I told them that my liver was quite comfortable with its size and felt that this was an insensitive way to discuss it's issue.

They decided to let me in. agagagagag
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
The first thing the Chinese are looking for with these various health checks is major communicable diseases...AIDS and tuberculosis and hepatitis being the main big ones. We certainly don't want filthy foreigners infecting clean, hard-working Chinese people! aoaoaoaoao

Next priority is major indicators of your health...the homeys don't want the inconvenience arising if you die or develop life-threatening conditions while in China.

Whether these things will bar you or not depends upon the condition and the nature and extent of the problem. For example, diabetics are often admitted as long as it seems to be under control. If your blood sugar tests at something absurd or dangerous, you'll probably be turned away.

The Chinese do seem to be more concerned with liver-related stuff than Western doctors. But in general, it comes down to whether the doctor thinks you are in danger or a danger to others. In most cases, if it's bad enough to get you blocked, it's bad enough that you either know about it or NEED to know about it.

A mild jump in liver enzymes, with a clean check for hepatitis, is probably not going to be a problem. kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:54:44 AM »
It's by Dutch doctors not Chinese, I did it in China last time and just got 'slight fatty liver'

The thing I'm worried about is that I have the sheet with my scores on and they are quite high, everything to do with my liver is above what is recommended. I wonder if i can find out what scores they will accept....

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
Well, Kitano, if this is the VISA health check, I would not be too concerned. The scores are just a bunch of numbers. Really all they look at is the form that your doctor signed telling them that you don't have tuberculosis, is mentally deranged or carrying any kind of uber-contagious illness like STD's. leprosy or the Plague.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »
Well, now you're kinda worrying me, Kitano. Do the Dutch doctors proffer an opinion on why they're that high?

Either way, it's a Chinese doctor who makes the final opinions. Who knows what standards, if any, they follow. aoaoaoaoao
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 01:25:27 AM »
The people who did it said that it should be fine but that he wasn't allowed to offer a professional opinion because they were a private place that just did the tests

The form is fine, but I'm just worried that the visa people have some guidelines on the report sheets with some number for these numbers i have from my bloodtest. Everything else is fine, but you know there might be some thing....

I'm seriously considering 'forgetting' to put the sheet in with those scores on

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 06:32:11 AM »
This is just an FYI. It doesn't relate too much to the question of the OP, but for general knowledge it is helpful.

They check all of those things on the Health Check that you think is normal like blood type, surgical scars, vision, blood pressure, height weight, etc. Some things that I have never heard of before they check: Genitourinary, Thoraic Shape, Muscles Tonicity and Rombergs. Have no idea what those things are.

For STD's there are sections on my exam results for Anti-HIV 1/2, HIV-Ag, (TPPA) Syphilis screen, HBsAG, Anti-HCV and ALT(GPT). I have no idea what any of them mean. Then in a separate box it seems that the have a section saying what diseases were not present in patient, I suppose these are the ones they are really concerned about. It lists cholera, Yellow fever, Plague, Leprosy, Venereal Disease, Opening Lung Tuberculosis and Pyschosis.

Hopefully, someone in the coming years or months can find this post helpful. Whether a current member or a 'guest' off the street looking for some guidance.

Another question, is this health check the same in all provinces across China or do certain cities/provinces have different things they test for?

NATO

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
diabetics are often admitted as long as it seems to be under control. If your blood sugar tests at something absurd or dangerous, you'll probably be turned away.

I'm not sure they pay very close attention to this. I have type 1 diabetes - over the past two years I'd say my diabetes has not been as well controlled as it should be but I haven't had any problems with visas (in Chengdu or Hangzhou) and have never fielded any questions about my diabetes beyond "you have diabetes?" "yes". I don't recall any results for blood sugar being posted on either of my two check up exam forms either. I don't know how much the process varies though; I had both mine done in Chengdu.

xwarrior

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Another question, is this health check the same in all provinces across China or do certain cities/provinces have different things they test for?

I have been tested in three provinces and the procedure seems to be standardised. If there is any difference it is in the form and degree of detail recorded in the certificate (booklet) that is issued.

Last year I had the check done by a doctor in New Zealand, according to a form issued from the embassy:
  http://www.chinaembassy.org.nz/eng/gdtp/P020050929246696561278.pdf
It gives a good idea of the information required by the authorities in China.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »
To finish the story for future reference, when I took my test to the consulate the guy at the desk looked at it very quickly, smiled and put a big red ring around the disease bit. I got the visa no problem

The blood test part of the process seems to be just to look for HIV and suchlike.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
Yes xwarrior that is the exact form I received after I finished my health check. All that HIV 1/2...ALT stuff was in the Serodiagnosis field.

Good look!