Lucky International English Centre (Tianjin & Dalian)?

• 14 replies
Lucky International English Centre (Tianjin & Dalian)?
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
Hi all,

Am wondering if any fellow members have any info on this company? Was offered a job with them a while back, great salary (12,500 rmb) and things looked quite peachy.

Unfortunately, could not take up their offer in the end due to personal problems back home. Did I make a huge mistake not going?

Many thanks and I look forward to your comments.

Best,

Peter

P.S. The only info I've been able to find on Lucky International English Centre are 5 negative reviews, stored I think in the archives of eslschoolreview.com, if memory serves. Just notification of the 5 negative reviews though, not the reviews themselves.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Lucky International English Centre (Tianjin & Dalian)?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
Sheesh, I wish I could help more but don't know the school.
Personally, a name like "Lucky Int'l English" gives me the creeps all by itself. This is a wildly unscientific conclusion, of course, but it often seems to be true.

The only info I've been able to find on Lucky International English Centre are 5 negative reviews, stored I think in the archives of eslschoolreview.com, if memory serves. Just notification of the 5 negative reviews though, not the reviews themselves.

I know we're on shaky ground from the scarcity of info, but if you find only bad reviews- not even one positive or neutral review- I would be EXTREMELY careful in even considering a job there. This is especially true when those reviews come from different sources and time periods.
When all you have is the writing on the wall, I tend to read it...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »
Many thanks Raoul - will take heed of your advice! Best till next time... The Truth & all
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:50:23 AM by The Truth »

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
Hey The Truth, I just accepted a job with that school. The name was a little off-putting to me as well, but I remember from when I was in China before how strangely things can sometimes be named. I was told that the school in Dalian is brand new, so hopefully that means those negative reviews don't apply! Apparently Lucky International English is a division of the company Federal Education Group. Does anyone know if that particular organization has a bad reputation? Anyways, I'm going for it lol, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Re: Lucky International English Centre (Taiyuan)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:02:49 AM »
Hey everyone,

Anyone heard anything about this branch? I have been told that Taiyuan is brutal but am wondering about the school itself. It seems weird that I can't find any information about the place aside from Leftybadeye. Google is not cooperating.

I'm in Canada. Anyone have any info? Would be much appreciated

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 01:34:23 PM »
Any new info/feedback on the Dalian branch???

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
I can't find any feedback on any branch of this school. Sometimes, with English schools, no news can be taken as good news. You might try seeing if they will give you some e-mail addresses for former (not current) teachers.

And yes, Taiyuan IS brutals. aaaaaaaaaa
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:17:26 AM »
I work for Lucky at the Dalian branch. I started back in October and overall it's been good so far. It's still a Chinese run company, so inefficiency and chaos abound, but I haven't been screwed over or anything (yet). I figure it's like most other schools..... you sit around and get paid to have Chinese people stare/poke you and tell you your handsome  ababababab

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 01:56:48 AM »
Greetings all!

New poster here! I hope to be able to contribute to the esl discussions on the forum.

I too am interested in hearing more about this school.

I've recently received an offer for their Taiyuan branch (I've just read that some consider it quite "brutal" anyone care to elaborate?). Their job package seems solid and the people I talked to during the interview process were quite helpful.

If anyone could share any more info about their experiences it would be great!

Merry Xmas!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »
Welcome, Pedro!

Taiyuan is heavily industrialized and near coal-mining country...and it burns a lot of that coal (mostly soft, yucky, high-sulfur coal) for heat and cooking and industry. All this means that it's seriously polluted, especially in the winter.

It's also very, very cold in the winter.

It's relatively isolated, very provincial, boring, and full of slack-jawed yokels that will affix their x-ray stares on you everywhere you go.

These descriptions can be applied to many northern-China cities, but Taiyuan IMHO gets the strongest dose of all of them. As I've often said..."If they were ever going to give China an enema, they would stick the nozzle in Taiyuan."
Just one man's opinion. bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »
Certainly informative! I've received similar feedback from other people... by the way just a note for posters here... I've found that couchsurfing website has been a great tool to find people living in all these different chinese cities willing to share their experiences and thoughts about life and work!

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »
Anyone have any further up-to-date info on this school? (Tianjin)

I managed to find one good and one bad review, although the bad review was a typical mini-rant without any details or examples.
I guess 'no news', or at least little news, is a good thing.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 03:23:22 AM »
Xiao Baba, I have left Lucky  a month ago after a year and a half. There are a lot of foreign teachers who have either left or are planning on leaving before the end of the year. I could tell you a lot but in a nutshell - anyone thinking of accepting a job with this company - DON'T DO IT!
It seems that "Homo Sapiens" is becoming an endangered species due to a massive increase in "Imbecillius Moronii"...

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 03:30:42 AM »
If you're in tianjin, try the 'other' language mills, I know people at kings, and wall street, EF are here if you're desperate!

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 05:24:33 AM »
Apologies for the late reply - I have been very busy this semester.

I left Lucky to take up a job at a college in TJ - big drop in income so I took on a second college this semester. Next semester I will be teaching English and Accounting there (one of my majors at university) - I am 1000 times happier working at the college.

An update on Lucky - they have closed their second centre (that I can confirm) in the space of just over 6 months, one of the remaining centres got downgraded (not taking new students) and there is a possibility a third centre in TJ has closed/is closing (but this is not confirmed through my sources).

My advice to anyone even THINKING of working for them is to avoid them like the plague.  The writing is on the wall there.
It seems that "Homo Sapiens" is becoming an endangered species due to a massive increase in "Imbecillius Moronii"...