Skype - HELP

• 26 replies

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
Re: Skype - HELP
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
I got the same error message as DS and a couple of my friends here have as well. It is not a blanket problem but it is causing problems for a lot of people. I was finally able to download skype again last night but as of 10 minutes ago it was still not working for me. This is crazy.
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 06:59:48 PM »

It's a worldwide thing folks: SKype hit by global crash

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/367636/skype-hit-by-global-crash

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Borkya

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
For all the lazy people that didn't click through the article that Nolefan linked to, here are the directions to get your skype working (from Skype.) Luckily mine seems to be unaffected, but I don't really use it that often.

A small number of you may have had problems signing in to Skype. This predominantly affects people using Skype for Windows. We have identified the problem and will issue a fix in the next few hours.

In the meantime, you can follow the steps below to fix the problem manually.

Windows

If the Skype icon is displayed in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen, right-click it and select Quit.

Click Start, type "run" and press Enter. (On Windows XP: Click Start and then Run.)

Type "%appdata%\skype" and click OK.

Locate and delete the file shared.xml. The file may be displayed as shared if file extensions are not displayed by default on your computer. 

If you cannot find this file:

Click Start, type "run" and press Enter. (On Windows XP: Click Start and then Run.)

Type "control folders" and click OK.

In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled.

Repeat the instructions from the beginning.

Restart Skype.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
I did that and the file shared.xml, wasn't in my computer.  I did it two or three time.

Had a friend come over with a torrent copy of Skype on his stick.  Same exact problem.

Re-deleted it.

Next step tomorrow will be to re-install Windows 7, a NON-PIRATE version.  If that doesn't work I am screwed.  

Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

old34

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:50 PM »
Do you have Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled? Show Extensions enabled?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 11:59:15 PM »
Old 34

:respect:

I had the Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled.  Didn't have Show Extensions enabled.  Did it, found it and it WORKED  akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »
Skype down again.  llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll

xwarrior

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 01:42:45 AM »
English Skype no need for any circumvention tricks to acquire:

Getting Skype is not the problem - getting a version that has nothing to do with Tom is the problem.

The link goes to Cnet (good) which then (eventually) transfers to bloody Tom ... when in China.

Are you saying that Tom will give me an English version without all the pop-ups and other crap?
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 01:52:21 AM »
I have a 'non-Tom' version.  Had to use a vpn to download it.

No pop-ups

But apparently according to twitter - Skype is saying a 'small number' of users are having trouble logging on again.

They are trying to resolve the issue.  Doesn't help me tonight when I am supposed to be teaching.  llllllllll llllllllll

Borkya

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 02:58:05 AM »
Also down for me. :(

xwarrior

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 03:36:29 AM »
The link goes to Cnet (good) which then (eventually) transfers to bloody Tom ... when in China.
Are you saying that Tom will give me an English version without all the pop-ups and other crap?

Forget everything I posted on this today. By mistake I opened the thread on p1, and by chance Brandex's post was the last entry on the page. My response was to that.

I would like to think I will not make the same mistake again ... but I will   bibibibibi
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 04:04:53 AM »
Grrrrr, no Skype for me tonight.  I click on the shortcut, and it appears to open, but I appear to be not online, and none of my friends show up as online!!

Any ideas?  I am not getting any error messages, or such like, just an open page, with me supposedly offline, and none of my friends showing up either.

Chinalin
Zhaoqing, Guangdong.

bxbxbxbxbx