Poll

It's 2011. What's the current state of the art in most of your everyday classroom?

Classroom Computer running WIndows 7/Vista
3 (2.9%)
Classroom Computer running Windows XP
12 (11.4%)
Classroom Computer connected to Internet
9 (8.6%)
Classroom Computer-no Internet connection
5 (4.8%)
Ceiling-mounted Projector
13 (12.4%)
Ceiling-mounted Projector with connector for your own laptop
8 (7.6%)
Internet connector for your own laptop
3 (2.9%)
Speaker System
11 (10.5%)
Speaker System connector for your own laptop
3 (2.9%)
Opaque Projector
1 (1%)
TV
2 (1.9%)
Black/Green board + Chalk
17 (16.2%)
Whiteboard + Marker
6 (5.7%)
Smartboard (Interactive Whiteboards)
1 (1%)
Portable Projector
1 (1%)
Separate DVD Player
4 (3.8%)
Complete A/V system cabinet (Computer, Projectors, etc.)
6 (5.7%)
Other - please specify in the comments
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: May 16, 2012, 04:09:21 AM

How Much Tech in Your Classroom?

• 13 replies

old34

How Much Tech in Your Classroom?
« on: May 17, 2011, 04:09:22 AM »
In very recent times, even the shabbiest old classrooms have become better equipped. One of the ways the Chinese government spent its way through the financial crisis was through educational infrastructure and spreading around gobs of money to schools to update the tech in the classrooms.

There are lots of stories out there about how shabby your classroom was, but it's 2011 and, though the classrooms may still be shabby, the bells and whistles at the front of the room seem to have improved remarkably.

Elsewhere here at the Saloon, people are discussing what devices to get (if they're here already) or what to bring with them (if they're not). Old advice is not good advice on this subject. So, for the Saloonies who are presently on the ground and teaching here, I thought it would be useful to those not yet here and those no longer here if we ran off a checklist of what Chinese classrooms these days seem to have.

If I set up the poll right, you should be able to check-off each thing you have in your classroom (possible total of 18 choices).

I'm quasi-serious about this poll because I have to present at an upcoming conference on the subject of technology in the Chinese classroom and I'd like to show the conferees, most of whom will be Chinese and not a few of them deans and decision-makers, how (a) they can get more and better use of their newly-equipped classrooms; or (b) why they should upgrade what they have. So please take the time to read through the choices and check-off each of the items that apply today. To you.

YOU MAY CHECK-OFF EVERY OPTION THAT'S APPLICABLE TO YOUR SITUATION.
For example, my classroom computer is connected to the Internet, but the A/V cabinet also has connectors running of it which I can use to connect my laptop to (a) the Internet, (b) the Projector, and (c) the Sound System. So I can check-off all those choices.

Snarky responses (yes, I'm looking at you EL) and "back in the day" stories ... please start your own thread/poll.

For the Saloonies, I think the results will help inform some as to what devices they might want to bring/get before they come here and what it is possible to use in the classrooms here in 2011.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:28:57 AM by old34 »
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Re: How Much Tech in Your Classroom?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 04:37:02 AM »
In my high school classroom (at my previous job, where I did a 3 year run) we had computers, a sound system, and interactive whiteboards that could slide out to reveal whiteboards behind them installed at the end of my 2nd year. We had the internet and there was a panel on the desk where we could switch back and forth between inputs for the whiteboard -- class computer, laptop or overhead. The panel also had volume controls for the sound system.

It was all quite high tech but I have to say it was rather prone to glitches and when I left at least two classrooms had recurring problems with the connection between the computer and the whiteboard crapping out a lot, which would make the whole entire setup useless, as in you couldn't even do a listening exercize because you'd have no display on the computer at all. The problem was with the panel somehow, and they'd send guys out to fix it repeatedly but it would always happen again and again anyhow. A lot of the teachers and students felt that while the new toys were nice, it was kind of worthless when you couldn't do your planned lesson because you couldn't get the whiteboard to work or even get the computer turned on.

Currently I'm working at a Montessori school (teaching kiddos) and we also have an interactive whiteboard and a classroom computer hooked up to the internet. Each teacher is also given a laptop to use. We don't have a regular whiteboard/blackboard and the interactive whiteboard really only gets maybe 1/2 an hour of use each day. The setup is not as fancy as what we had at the high school but it is fine for our purposes.

I should say that both of these schools are rather expensive private international or quasi-international schools. I think for the money the parents are paying they expect state of the art classrooms not a blackboard and chalk type deal.

old34

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:43:44 AM »
and there was a panel on the desk where we could switch back and forth between inputs for the whiteboard -- class computer, laptop or overhead. The panel also had volume controls for the sound system.

This what I meant in the option entitled "Complete A/V system cabinet (Computer, Projectors, etc.)"

Thanks for your response.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:46:05 AM »
We got some chalk and black/green boards. Sometimes there's even colored chalk, which is really a treat! I like it this way and don't really want it to change, except I'd REALLY, REALLY prefer a whiteboard. I have to bring in my own speakers and MP4 or my computer for some things. It's all good.

Honestly I'm thrilled that they fixed the fans in one of my rooms, since neither were working.

The fancier newer classes with all the amenities either aren't for English majors or not for Oral English. They have a disadvantage in that the seats are bolted down which make it more difficult to have students get in groups and whatnot.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

NATO

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:14:34 AM »
Who's got a whiteboard  ffffffffff . Get so annoyed with getting chalk everywhere. Also get disappointed when there is only white chalk. Love a bit of colour coordinating and remember when I was a student that I found it pleasing as well. Then again I am 27 now and still fascinated by my mum's keys when she waves them in front of me.

BrandeX

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 05:32:10 AM »
Wow, there must be some nation wide regulation regarding this. Nearly everyone is voting for the same things.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:40:10 AM »
Who's got a whiteboard  ffffffffff . Get so annoyed with getting chalk everywhere.

The last training school I worked at had a portable whiteboard I used to drag in my classes, which just had small chalk boards in them. I had to supply my own markers because the Fuhrer Lao Ban had a cheapness disease was modestly frugal and could snap a jiao in two with his pincer claws knew how to save money. He argued that nobody in this city uses whiteboards, and ignored my counter argument that if that was true they probably wouldn't sell them in the supermarkets.

xwarrior

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:29:14 AM »
Wow, there must be some nation wide regulation regarding this. Nearly everyone is voting for the same things.

Around 2003 the govt pumped untold millions into providing schools with AV equipment.

That is why in even the most dilapidated classroom you will see a projector suspended from the ceiling.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »

Around 2003 the govt pumped untold millions into providing schools with AV equipment.

That is why in even the most dilapidated classroom you will see a projector suspended from the ceiling.

Not to be contradictory or anything, but, maybe in the 2nd most dilapidated they have projectors. I'm pretty damned sure mine just have ceiling fans. There's nothing to project on either, except the blackboard. I'll double check that tomorrow, but I think I'd have noticed something like a projector.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
My regular classroom has a chalkboard and nothing else. There are other classrooms that are very well equipped but to use them would give me scheduling problems with other teachers.

I choose the bare-bones classroom and so have four days off a week instead of two.

Unfortunately I don't get to waste half my class time trying to get equipment to work.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
The "portable projector" that the assistant principal brought back from the UK has fried two laptops already. Fortunately, my dinosaur quit communicating with it before it started destroying the other teacher's computers.

Borkya

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
Every classroom in my building has the whole kit and kaboddle. Podiums with computers, overhead projectors, input for your own computer, screen that goes down and up, ceiling projectors, internet.

It sounds nice but of course, the reality is different. Things are glitchy, the projector is usually too dim, or slightly off-color, internet works for about 5 minutes tops. But still, it is nice.

And speaking of chalk and blackboards you should see ErictheRed after a class. He often wears black and he is covered with white afterwards. And even worse, somehow he manages to cover the entire podium with a fine layer of chalk as well, so teaching after him gets one pretty messy!  ahahahahah

xwarrior

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »

When asked for advice by my classes of student teachers I say:

No.1 rule is that No.1 Technology for a teacher is CHALK:

I say that for a number of reasons based on experience, and the experiences of others who have posted here give some idea of why I think it is No.1.

As a teacher you can:

- spend hours preparing a state-of-the-art Powerpoint for your lesson
- spend more hours downloading media (video etc) to enhance the points you want to make
- transfer everything on to a FlashDisk/USB/MP5
- take the time in the classroom to load everything into the system and ensure that it is functioning

......... and the power goes off.

In that situation (similar to that of a beached whale) you can improvise by using a WHITEBOARD.

- you had better make sure you have your own pen because any in the room dried out a long time ago

- the board you are going to use is usually more of a Greyboard because of a film that has accumulated over time so be prepared for large areas being unusable

- if you are given a mobile whiteboard be prepared to chase it a round the room as you write

Chalk may not be perfect as a teaching tool but, as Churchill nearly said, it is better than any other.     

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

old34

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 01:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far in the poll.

Just bumping this poll back up to the top.