Sports Day in China - let the Parade begin

• 10 replies

xwarrior

Sports Day in China - let the Parade begin
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Around this time of the year, Spring, most colleges and universities have a Sports Day. This year our college has 3 days of sports - actually 2, because the first day is given over to the Opening Parade.

I have heard it said that the Beijing Olympics triggered  off  a requirement that all sports days have an Opening Ceremony with a parade but that is not the case. The first Opening Ceremony I attended was in 2000 and  I have a feeling that they go way back to the 1950's.

What brought this topic to mind was that on Monday morning  a class of 60 girls started dance practice for the parade to be held next week ... outside my apartment.  Dance? Yes, because every class will have to take part in the march-past and stop en route (in front of the Leaders seated in the grandstand) to perform an item.

They have been practicing after class every day this week   I am starting to get used to the one track of music they play.

It is times like this that you see Chinese students at their best. One of the girls taught the others a really complex routine. She was organised, methodical and never had to raise her voice all day. The other girls were focussed and picked it up the Chinese way - yi, er, san, si!!

These photos of the 2010 parade give some idea of the event:

Some photos from practice for the 2011 parade:

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

AMonk

Re: Sports Day in China - let the Parade begin
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »

akakakakak  W  ! !
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
Thanks xwarrior! That must be every guy's dream, to have 60 dancing ladies outside his apartment. bfbfbfbfbf afafafafaf

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
Hey X, you live in Shaanxi right?
I love those Shanbei drummers with the towels on their heads, really brings me back to my time taching in Xi'an.

Nice one!  agagagagag
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

xwarrior

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:51:48 AM »
you live in Shaanxi right?

Yep! In Baoji (Shaanxi). People here love their music - many groups every day in Yandi Park play and sing just for themselves.

There is a women's drum group that seems to perform at every event, including opening of any new big shop.

I love watching the student's group in action - full of life and energy!
- Bette Midler

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
Great work, xwar...a great capture of an endlessly weird yet universal and inevitable Chinese event! agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

xwarrior

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
Sports Day Opening Ceremony - 2011

The band led off and competed with a march being played at maximum volume on the sound system. After 2 minutes, and with the band approaching the finish line, the sound system conceded defeat.     

Some things make me think of China in 1950.

A student demonstrating good leadership skills

Some pony-tails in the parade

Eyes right!

The trainee electrical workers put on a great dance routine. They were actually very good ... in a Marxist/Village People sort of way

They sure can march - but it is a style that does not sit comfortably with Australasians.

This is more our style of marching

China - bloody butterflies everywhere

China - and bloody sunflowers

Regimental Sergeant Major Mei Li reporting for duty

Bring on the dancing girls

Nursing students anywhere are amazing - whatever they do they aim to do to the best of their ability.
The Opening Ceremony was held on 25 April, which was Anzac Day in New Zealand and Australia. The sight of these girls marching in perfect formation, with a red flower on their uniform, reminded of previous generations marching off to war ... and I found it very moving.

The End

- Bette Midler

AMonk

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 12:19:58 AM »
 agagagagag A very nice parade, by the looks of it ababababab
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »
I love chipao!! agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
Hey Raoul, I just saw some blokes with hard hats and spanners etc. Perhaps some of them might be available to come to your party? Leave those blokes alone Casnadra and mkate, or at least let's get them to the Boss's Birthday party first. uuuuuuuuuu afafafafaf bfbfbfbfbf agagagagag

Sorry xwarrior, I got off track there. Thanks for the great photos. By the way, we ladies do appreciate the extra effort that you put into choosing such interesting subjects. afafafafaf  agagagagag

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
Dude these are awesome pics!