Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #375 on: November 25, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
Piglet, that is why I was wondering about how the young Chinese folk think. bjbjbjbjbj I keep wondering how long it will be before English becomes the second language in Oz. ananananan

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #376 on: November 25, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
You can never prepare for enough Chinese.  kkkkkkkkkk
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #377 on: December 06, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
2018, Feb 2 - Altered Carbon on Netflix
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #378 on: January 05, 2018, 07:57:32 PM »
The X-Files - season freakin' 11

almost like a return to zero - Scully in a hospital bed, Mulder doing faux-philosophical voiceovers that really just announce how little he's willing to know, bad guys who speak in riddles and no one shoots them for it. If Scully and Mulder were real people, they'd be exhausted by now with how little they listen to each other and how rarely either one can count on growth in the other. And for the love of god, Skinner being shifty again and Mudler being suspicious? IT'S BEEN ELEVEN SEASONS FFS!

And now that the show is rich, they had a car chase. In lieu of actual action, a freakin car chase!

This first episode catered to the mythology crowd and as such was tired, confusing, and slow. Next week, when we are more or less guaranteed little to no mythology, we might get a decent monster-of-the-week episode. As little as I like the X-files when they do that, it's 2018 now and they might have something good up their sleeves this time. Because otherwise, they're sucking pretty hard right now.

/imo

« Reply #379 on: February 20, 2018, 05:06:31 AM »
안투라지 (Anturaji), the Korean remake of HBO's Entourage

Watching mostly for Amber, but also kinda interesting for a k-show.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2018, 02:16:33 PM »

« Reply #381 on: March 10, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
The Negotiator - 谈判官 - (2018)

Supposedly the top rated drama at the moment, but I watched Entourage (Anturaji) and am watching Goblin (Dokkaebi) and right out of the gate this Negotiator has all the weaknesses of every c-drama I've ever looked at: an intro sequence of plot point clips from the show itself, one-note foreigner characters transparently overacting, and - worse - major characters introduced sitting down talking. All of that in the first five minutes and a sheen of cheap tv soap production values. There's really no life in these kinds of shows and you have to wonder what it reflects really. I may try a little further and see if it continues as shit as it starts out.

« Reply #382 on: March 10, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
btw, that Goblin show - Guardian: the Lonely and Great God  - (쓸쓸하고 찬란하神 – 도깨비) - is, well, the middle aged rich man plus fantasy-prone high school girls from disadvantaged background thing aside, really very compelling as a drama. Production values through the roof, tremendous characters and character interactions, arch humour, lots of pathos. I'm three episodes in and enjoying it.

Also, I wasn't expecting much from Entourage (Anturaji) inasmuch as I never liked the original HBO series, but the kdrama remake turned out worthwhile, I think. The characters, for one thing, are basically likeable. I suspect I missed a certain amount of characterisation inasmuch as none of the cursing made it into the subtitles and I'm aware Kim Eun Gab in particular was supposed to be "a psycho", but whatevs.

For reference, if anyone's measuring my taste in kdrama, Anturaji was a flop in Korea and Dokkaebi was the second highest rated cable drama of all time - in Korea - and became "a cultural phenomenon". Woo

« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2018, 02:43:24 AM »
The Negotiator - 谈判官 - (2018)

Yeah, it's shit. By the end of episode 2 it still contains no drama nor any characterisations of note. It's just memes and hair. They do kinda nail the idea of recent college graduates being cartoon characters, but that's it. The rest is serial repetition of the same message points. They literally say the drama points rather than have any action to enact them.

Still looking for a c-drama that isn't some cheap and nasty plastic replica.

« Reply #384 on: March 14, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »
Is this an actual thing, no one in asia uploading dvd or bluray copies of tv shows? Weird complaint, I suppose, but there it is. I keep looking for 1080p versions of these shows that aren't hdtv rips and not finding them. I can cope with logos and scrolling crap and popups near the end of the episodes if I have to, but good lord, people pay for this?

And for Chinese shows, why is it all 720p? When there is 1080p versions, they're all massively compressed, which kinda defeats the purpose of hi dpi in the first place, wth? What are people watching these videos on, their phones?

Possibly shouldn't complain, but how can one not be a quality queen from time to time?

/vent

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #385 on: March 16, 2018, 04:29:17 AM »

i'm able to find them just fine... on the right pirate bay
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #386 on: March 16, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
I mean the original video encoding sources.

For US drama there's usually a relatively crappy hdtv rip as soon as some episode airs but these days there'll also be a Netflix or Amazon rip sometime in the next twelve hours. Amazon 1080p video appears usually with a bitrate of 10Mbps or so. I don't know if that's a product of good encoding practice or just what Amazon puts out as raw video, but it's definitely hi def. Season blurays usually appear fairly promptly too, and they'll be 10-15Mbps.

For recent Korean drama though, I'm really only finding HDTV rips of cable broadcast. The best available for Goblin at the moment appears to be a 60fps 1080p hdtv rip, which really is very attractive to look at, but it's still only about 5Mbps bitrate (and has cable tv logos and watermarks). Given the movie-like production levels of that show, one keeps wishing for better and better free stuff.

Chinese drama encodes appear to be worse in every way too. It seems like every show is available only as highly compressed 1080p web rip with like 2-3Mbps only, which means you start seeing artefacting and a general loss of detail.

High bitrate isn't everything, of course. But given a good source video, the higher the bitrate of the encode, the more detail you see on the screen. My eyesight is crappy enough already. I want sharply detailed video, goddammit.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:09:22 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2018, 12:39:25 AM »
Also, and I'm probably missing some nuance, but I don't think the actors in Chinese dramas act. They perform stylised impressions of caricatures, not people. I suppose there is the various opera traditions to contend with in tv drama, but Chinese movies are not without a more authentic person, so why can't the tv shows be?

I was thinking on my claim that Chinese dramas entirely overuse the device of two people doing nothing other than talking plot points at each other, and comparing that to my experience of this Goblin tv show, because in Goblin there's a lot of talking too. There are a tremendous number of scenes featuring nothing more than two people talking in fact. And I find it takes about 90 minutes to watch a 60 minute episode because I'm so often watching scenes twice, once for the subtitles, and a second time for the faces. And I don't watch c-dramas that way. Basically because there's so little to see in the actors faces. That's kind of alarming, and I hope it's sort of not true, but it does really look like Chinese actors spend a lot of time being non-expressive compared to Korean actors. Different traditions, maybe.

Would love to be directed to a Chinese drama that proves me wrong.

old34

« Reply #388 on: March 18, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

« Reply #389 on: March 19, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
Bingeing on this Japanese drama/mystery. http://asianwiki.com/Million_Yen_Women

It's packs a lot of stuff. Cute women, young authors, young call-girls, a few plot whodunnits, a few red herrings. Each episode is only 23 minutes, so it moves along pretty quickly.

it's currently on Netflix. Not sure how else you can get it, but worth an evening of bingeing if you can.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.