Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #285 on: June 08, 2016, 05:11:29 AM »
It just seems so... not like it was. I want to say the writing focus has shifted, but it might just be the plotting has accelerated greatly. Nuance seems to have gone by the wayside and fine grain detail has disappeared. I have no examples to back up this impression.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #286 on: June 08, 2016, 06:16:11 AM »

« Reply #287 on: June 08, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »

« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2016, 03:42:35 AM »
New Dawn Fades - Moby

"Listen, all I'm saying is then, if we're just information... just noise in the system... we might as well be a symphony." - /

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
Just started watching Season 6 of the Walking Dead.  So far, the zombies are doing a great job convincing the living to change sides. uuuuuuuuuu

And, also watched Episode one Childhood's End.  I was worried they'd find a way to botch this from the start, but so far it's being reasonably faithful to the spirit of the novel while still finding excuses to spend a small fortune on special effects.  I may have to go on a digging expedition through my library to find my copy and reread it.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
What is going on with this show? Last night on Game of Thrones, along with guest spots from the Terminator and Jason Voorhees, basically one thing happened. The rest seemed like fluff.

I only complain because the vibe of these recent episodes seems to me so un-GoT that I'd like to know what's going on.

Also, personally speaking, one of the enduring wtf things in the books is Lady Stoneheart, and in the tv show.... pffft.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »
What is going on with this show? Last night on Game of Thrones, along with guest spots from the Terminator and Jason Voorhees, basically one thing happened. The rest seemed like fluff.

I only complain because the vibe of these recent episodes seems to me so un-GoT that I'd like to know what's going on.

Also, personally speaking, one of the enduring wtf things in the books is Lady Stoneheart, and in the tv show.... pffft.

And at the end of the season, it turns out the whole season was just a bad dream. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
I legit do want to know wtf Lady Stoneheart is. I know who she is, and it's a book spoiler, I guess, so I'll leave it to the end, but the idea she was going to turn up leading the Brotherhood Without Banners was going to be one of the benefits of having the show outpace the books.

But then, in the show, people keep dying and coming back to life and everyone's like whatevs man. They're scared of the Night King and all his zombies, but some dude who resurrects from time to time is like okay lets move on? Pffft.

Book Spoiler-ish:
Lady Stoneheart is the undead Catelyn Stark. The Brotherhood Without Banners found her three days after the Red Wedding and Beric Dondarrion put all of his own resurrections into her, which brought her back and left him expired for real for once. But Dondarrion is still alive in the show so one supposes Cat isn't coming back.

« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
I have watched the first four episodes of Preacher and so far I am not sure what it is supposed to be about. The rather odd thing about this show is that I find the Irish vampire way more interesting than the titular character. Four episodes, things happen in them and yet it feels like nothing happened. I do like it but I hope it picks up the pace otherwise it will get cancelled. As for GoT, episode 9 was a very good apology for what I would term one of the least interesting seasons so far. Plot wise in that show, I am somewhat confused. I will refrain from discussing the plot here until later this week, so as to not spoil anything for anyone. But do not cry spoilers on Thursday, The episode aired on Sunday, four days is plenty of time to watch a tv show.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
Pretty sure Preacher is firmly within the Southern Gothic tradition, and as such is about people being flawed, disturbing or eccentric in a context of sinister or grotesque events relating to or stemming from poverty, alienation, crime, or violence. (Cribbed from Wikipedia.) Where, say, True Detective despairs of people and leads with nihilism, in Preacher there's a strong undercurrent of amusement or enjoyment in people being weird. We the viewer have the God's eye view. And as the show goes on, I expect we're going to shuffle between views. That's to say, I'm moderately sure the show is about temptation.

« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »
Oh, yes, I get that. It is simply that after four episodes we have been introduced to a plethora of strange characters, some rather confusing flashbacks and have as such gotten not an inkling of understanding of any of them. This is, to me anyway, very much a show that seems to be driven by characters, not themes. But the characters are, so far, rather flat.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
Yeah, they are a bit flat. Except for the vampire (and Tulip) who have flair. It occurs to me I was thinking the other day I didn't know what the show was about either, but that it seemed to me each new episode promised something even more outrageous than the last, be it in terms of violence or mythical creatures, and as such each new episode is entertaining. It's not all about extremes though. There are some subtle outrages in there too - like for instance the angel at the vending machine. So I'm finding it fun, if a bit puzzling.

« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »
I agree with all that. Though the angels are the most confusing. if they made a show just about the life of the Irish vampire I would watch that in a heartbeat.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #298 on: June 22, 2016, 03:36:39 PM »
Despite my plans to go through Season 1 of Childhood's End and Season 6 of Walking Dead, my lovely wife vetoed and we're working through Season 2 of Gotham.  New villains are being introduced, but so far Penguin remains the most entertaining character.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:42:03 PM by Escaped Lunatic »
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2016, 06:31:40 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

The one dude who uploads HD episodes of Wentworth has ragequit Kickass

That's it, man. That's it. game over.