Re: Tv
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2013, 04:43:22 AM »
I don't see F-Troop on that list.  ananananan

A-Train

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2013, 04:56:50 AM »

I didn't recognize your avatar until now.  Nice to see you again Corporal Agarn!
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:01 AM »
LOL!!!

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »
I never watched F Troop. At first I thought you were talking about The Rat Patrol. So I downloaded the show and watched a few episodes. I can see why it was popular a thousand years when it was on. My God, what a lame and racist show. It reminds me of a western Gilligan's Island. Funny at times

I don't recall it ever appearing in Canada, maybe out west. Any other Canuck see it either in first run or syndication?
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
F troop was popular back in the day. It either preceded or was right after giligans island both back east in Ottawa and out west in BC when i was a kid. Watched it regularly after school.

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »
I've been watching the show, funny at times. Nice to see some of the old time actors. But wow, didn't the writers or producers have access to a history book, almanac, anything that had facts.  The jokes got stale quick. The hot Native girls were something.

One thing I never liked about pre-80's American television and movies was the use of non-real or authentic people representing the characters. John Wayne as Ghengis Khan, David Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine, you get the picture (haha, after television and movie, I said picture)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2013, 02:08:52 AM »
Just finished watching Hatfields & McCoys (miniseries).

Surprisingly good.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:51 PM »
A Touch of Cloth is a British television comedy police procedural series created and written by Charlie Brooker and Daniel Maier. It is a parody of British detective and crime dramas, and stars John Hannah and Suranne Jones. The title is a play on the title of another detective series, A Touch of Frost, as well as the vulgar British euphemism "to touch cloth".

Funniest show I've seen in quite awhile. Clever and stupid, just plain bonkers.

Borkya

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
Orange is the New Black is a great series. It's one of those netflix series so all 13 episodes for season 1 were released at the same time. It's about a upper-middle class white New Yorker who goes to a womans prison for something she did 10 years prior. It's quite funny and has a very diverse female cast which is not so common in today's TV landscape.

I would totally recommend it. 

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »
Someone mentioned Trailer Park Boys:  my brother turned me onto that one this summer on Netflix. I only saw a few episodes but feel hooked. 

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:44 AM »
Breaking Bad is great. I will watch it through to the end. But what they're doing with it now... is it just me, or has it been just so by the numbers for everyone? The second half of season five has been like it's some other show.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »
Breaking Bad is great. I will watch it through to the end. But what they're doing with it now... is it just me, or has it been just so by the numbers for everyone? The second half of season five has been like it's some other show.

Wow, I'd have thought your was a minority opinion, (although you do say that you think the show is great). Incidentally, I'm not going to give any spoilers.

This final season (both halves) has leaned on the suspense that comes form the audience knowing things that the characters don't, in large part because of the flash forwards.

As an article I read recently pointed out, some stories rely on surprise and plot twists, but the whole modus operandi of BB is tension and suspense. There's never really been any secret how the show would end. It's a tragedy, like King Lear.

So, yes, it's fairly easy to predict what will happen in the final two episodes. I could write the basic episode plots now, (because of the flash forwards), but I think that this is continuing to be a masterpiece right to the end.

In order to undercut myself, may I say, I loved the second season of 'The Newsroom'. I understand why the critics hate it. I even agree with their criticisms, but I still enjoy the show. It's like chocolate. I know it's crap, but I like it anyway.

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
Yeah, it does seem to be a minority opinion, but particularly for this second half of the fifth season, the episodes seem rote. I'm sure there's tension in there, but how they're building it and what they're having people do in response is just... pedestrian. That is, compared to other seasons. The tricks and twists just feel empty now. There isn't any complexity. (I may be overstating--this is all just a narrative feeling I have.) Jesse's character is a tour-de-force. But Walt...

That said, I will be watching this week episode again tonight. There's always gems in there. (The first episode of the second half of season 5 is a perfect example of this: boring episode, but then "tread lightly". And this week... I want to watch that telephone call again.)

I compare it a bit to Dexter. Dexter is winding up as well, but I still find the narrative thrilling.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Weeds, a screamingly funny look at the suburbs.

The creator is now busy with Orange is the New Black.

Here's an obscure one to check out:  Please Like Me.  Australian, offbeat, hilarious.

I just completed Six Feet Under.  Masterpiece.

I'm into Elementary, Sherlock and House; they are all contemporary retellings of the same classic.

And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:56 AM »
Weeds petered out quickly