Jinggangshan University, Jiangxi

• 8 replies
Jinggangshan University, Jiangxi
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:31:03 AM »
Hello!

Has anybody had any experiences or heard of anything regarding Jinggangshan University in Ji'an, Jiangxi Province?

And does anybody know if any folks who traffic this board live down that-a-way? It seems pretty remote, given the small body of writing readily available online regarding the area. http://www.answers.com/topic/ji-an

As for contract, they're offering 4500-5000 rmb/month and providing accomodation (much more reasonable than other offers I've been given)

Thanks again!

Re: Jinggangshan University, Jiangxi
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:36:14 AM »
In addition, I should ask: does this sound about normal for such university posts? Can anyone 'de-code' what a lot of this actually means?

http://www.jgsu.edu.cn/english/international%20teachers/2006_07_07_627.html

Matters for Attention

Ladies and Gentlemen:

We welcome you to Jinggangshan University.For your convenience in living and working here,we offer you some matters for your attention and hope they will be helpful to you:

1.You shall observe the laws,decrees and relevant regulations enacted by the Chinese government and shall not interfere in China’S internal affairs.You shall respect the Chinese people's moral standards and customs.

2.You shall observe our work system and regulations concerning administration of foreign experts and shall accept our arrangement,direction,supervision and evaluation in regard to your work. Without our consent,you shall not render service elsewhere or hold concurrently any post unrelated to the work agreed on by us.

3.You shall complete the tasks agreed to, on schedule, and guarantee the quality of work.

4.We will not interfere with your own religious belief and your religious activities,but you are not allowed to proselytize your religion and develop followers among Chinese people in any forms or on any occasions.

5. Please respect the staff,respect and love your students. Any words and behaviors which cause harm and insult to the students are not allowed.No students shall be permitted to stay in the international teacher’s apartment at night.

6. You can travel in your spare time, or on your holidays, but not during Working time.Please do not enter closed areas in China in order to avoid troubles.P1ease inform the International Relations Department of Jinggangshan University about your traveling schedule before setting out.

7.Within one week after arrival at Jinggangshan University,please hand in your passport, medical tests,pictures(6 copies), and traveling tickets to the International Relations Department,so that we can make required certificates and handle relevant affairs for you.

8.If you want to return home for a holiday or after fulfilling the contract, and are required to make a visa or returning visa, the International Relations Department will offer you related certificates and help you to make the procedures.

9.When finishing the contract work,please inform the International Relations Department in advance stating what kind of transport tickets you want to order, and indicate the route,the destination, and the departure time, so that we can make the reservation in time. If traveling by yourself during the holidays,you will order and buy the tickets yourself.If having difficulties, the International Relations Department can help you and you should pay the related fee.

10.If you want to go to downtown to Ji’an City for private affairs,please arrange it during your spare time, or on the weekends. When going shopping,visiting friends, and dealing with business downtown,please take care of your safety concerning traffic and food.

11. No accommodating any other people(especially students of Jinggangshan University)for the night. If your friends and relatives call you and want to stay on the campus over night,please let the International Relations Department know in advance.

12.The school or the department you work for will be in charge of your teaching and scientific work.They will assist you to solve problems in your work.

13.The International Relations Department is an organization in charge of external affairs,mainly responsible for your arrival to our university and your living arrangements. We are willing to be cooperative with you and try our best to offer you help.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:03:49 AM »
Does this sound about normal for such university posts? Can anyone 'de-code' what a lot of this actually means?

Sure. Most of this is pretty routine. Some of it is kinda nice...

1.You shall observe the laws,decrees and relevant regulations enacted by the Chinese government and shall not interfere in China’S internal affairs.You shall respect the Chinese people's moral standards and customs.

This is probably in every teaher's contract. It means "You are not a lawless freak, nor are you here to "straighten us out." If you come here you're expected to behave yourself."

2.You shall observe our work system and regulations concerning administration of foreign experts and shall accept our arrangement,direction,supervision and evaluation in regard to your work. Without our consent,you shall not render service elsewhere or hold concurrently any post unrelated to the work agreed on by us.

Very standard. "You work for us. We have the same rights to manage you as any other company would have. We are the boss. And you can't take another job and compete with us for your own personal gain."

3.You shall complete the tasks agreed to, on schedule, and guarantee the quality of work.

"Do your job."

4.We will not interfere with your own religious belief and your religious activities,but you are not allowed to proselytize your religion and develop followers among Chinese people in any forms or on any occasions.

Very standard. "We respect your personal religious beliefs. However, you are not welcome to come over here and attempt to nail those personal beliefs onto any of us."

5. Please respect the staff,respect and love your students. Any words and behaviors which cause harm and insult to the students are not allowed.No students shall be permitted to stay in the international teacher’s apartment at night.

"Be nice to us. We are people too, and you are not free to walk around verbally abusing us even if you are very angry. Oh...you also aren't allowed to bone the students. Or, at least, you'll have to get a hotel room if you plan to do it all night."

6. You can travel in your spare time, or on your holidays, but not during Working time.Please do not enter closed areas in China in order to avoid troubles.P1ease inform the International Relations Department of Jinggangshan University about your traveling schedule before setting out.

"You can go places and stuff, but for God's sake be in class when you're supposed to be teaching. Don't go sauntering onto army bases. Let us know if you're going to be traveling."
BTW, my take on this last one varies with the nature of the travel. If you're going to go explore the hinterlands or if you're going to be gone a long time, it might indeed be wise to let people know where you're heading. If you're going into Shanghai for a 36-hour drinking binge, it's pretty much none of their f*cking business.

7. Within one week after arrival at Jinggangshan University,please hand in your passport, medical tests,pictures(6 copies), and traveling tickets to the International Relations Department,so that we can make required certificates and handle relevant affairs for you.

"If you want us to get you the promised documents needed to let you live here, then you need to give us the documents we asked you to bring for this purpose."
BTW, the photo size is very strict. I don't recall the dimensions but I'll look them up.

8.If you want to return home for a holiday or after fulfilling the contract, and are required to make a visa or returning visa, the International Relations Department will offer you related certificates and help you to make the procedures.

"We will help you with your travel arrangements, even if you've finished the contract and are now leaving."

9.When finishing the contract work,please inform the International Relations Department in advance stating what kind of transport tickets you want to order, and indicate the route,the destination, and the departure time, so that we can make the reservation in time. If traveling by yourself during the holidays,you will order and buy the tickets yourself.If having difficulties, the International Relations Department can help you and you should pay the related fee.

"After the contract, if you're traveling and you want tickets for a certain date, you need to tell us early enough to have a chance to get what you want. If you're just traveling on holiday during your contract, we'll still help you but you'll have to pay things like travel agent fees."

10.If you want to go to downtown to Ji’an City for private affairs,please arrange it during your spare time, or on the weekends. When going shopping,visiting friends, and dealing with business downtown,please take care of your safety concerning traffic and food.

"Again, for the love of Pete be in the classroom at your scheduled times. If you go into Nowheresville for a good time, don't walk into traffic or eat unrefrigerated chicken."

11. No accommodating any other people(especially students of Jinggangshan University)for the night. If your friends and relatives call you and want to stay on the campus over night,please let the International Relations Department know in advance.

"This is a university campus, and you can't have people staying in your room for the purpose of loud, screaming, moaning, thumping, all-night hot monkey lovin'. This goes at least double for students, even the really hot ones. You CAN arrange to have legit visitors if you tell us they're coming."

12.The school or the department you work for will be in charge of your teaching and scientific work.They will assist you to solve problems in your work.

"Your bosses are, uh, your bosses. At least in theory, given half a chance they'll try to help you solve work-related problems."

13.The International Relations Department is an organization in charge of external affairs,mainly responsible for your arrival to our university and your living arrangements. We are willing to be cooperative with you and try our best to offer you help.

"The people giving you this document are charged with getting you here, making you legal, getting you a place to live, and trying to insulate the populace and our society against being damaged too much by your presence here. If you ask us for help, we will try and provide it."

I love legalese. ajajajajaj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:23 AM »
I see a couple of red flags there.

Is there a curfew at the Uni as you will be living on campus.  What type of transportation is available to go downtown and if buses how late do they run?  What is the average cost of a taxi downtown?

What do they mean about not going anywhere during working time?  What is working time?  How many hours are you expected to be on campus? 

What do they mean about fees for booking tickets?  Most places have someone who can book tickets for you whenever you want to travel.

What type of visa are they getting you?  The needing another visa if you leave the country doesn't sound right, unless as Raoul said you have finished your contract.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:22:06 AM »

Thia one actually means you won't try to convert anyone to any specific religion.   NO PROSELYTIZING!!  Also political beliefs - no trying to convert to democracy or capitalism. And they also hope it means you won't try to bed the wo/men without marrying them. 

Ticket booking fees are normal unless you are prepared to stand for hours waiting in line to book train tickets.  Pay the fee - approx 35Y.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:17:20 AM »
DS raises some excellent questions. I didn't really see red flags in here (except of course the glorious banner of the People's Proletarian Revolution, which as we all know always flies in our minds and hearts. This cannot be doubted.) and my interpretations reflect a more benign assumption.

If there were a curfew you'd think it'd be in there, but it never hurts to be sure with this one. Curfews suck SERIOUS  amounts of ass.

I also think they're probably just making it so clear that even a foreigner can grasp it that you can't travel or run errands during your scheduled class times. But clarifying that definition couldn't hurt a bit.

The visa thing is actually good, and a heads-up most places don't bother giving you: If you leave China- even just to go to Hong Kong or Macau- with the intention of coming back in, you need to make sure you have a re-entry visa. Many residence permits now come with this automatically.

For the travel booking fees...I really think they're just saying, "We'll book your tickets here and back at no extra cost, but we won't be your free travel agency for the next full year."
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
Does travelling tickets mean they want your return flight ticket?  I'd be a little wary of handing that over.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 03:44:12 PM »
Thanks guys!

I'll be sure to raise questions about some of these questionable points--the curfew, the transportation into town, their definition of 'travelling tickets'...armed with these points, Raoul's famous job checklist, and another checklist from a book I have ("The World is a Class" by Caleb Powell), I'm gonna try to be as sure as possible that this contract is all on the straight and narrow. At least, as straight and narrow as I can make it!

I'll let you know if anything more pops up. Cheers!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 06:23:48 PM »
I think the "travelling tickets" refers to the stubs of the tickets that brought you in. Useful for verifying your entry date and port. They are, after all, offering to buy your return ticket for you...

itslate, sounds like you're going into this well-armed with information. This is a big part of what the Saloon's about, and I'm really glad to see it. Happy negotiating! aoaoaoaoao