Freedom to celebrate??

• 21 replies

Vegemite

Freedom to celebrate??
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:42:53 PM »
Some NZers are celebrating Hitler's birthday today...

Hitler party 'distasteful and offensive'
The Dominion Post | Saturday, 21 April 2007

White supremacists are holding a rock concert in Wellington tonight to commemorate Adolf Hitler's birthday.

The plan has appalled Jewish and anti-racist groups but they say, though the event is offensive, it is not illegal.

The concert, organised by local branches of skinhead gang Hammerskins and neo-Nazi organisation Blood and Honour - which has been banned in parts of Europe, will bring Australian "viking rock" band Blood Red Eagle to play in Wellington tonight. Adolf Hitler was born on April 20.

It is understood the gig was scheduled to play at the Berhampore headquarters of motorcycle gang Satan's Slaves, but Hammerskins this week announced a secret venue change "due to differences". Sources believe Satan's Slaves may have fallen out with event organisers.

Race Relations Commissioner Joris de Bres said the plans, while offensive to many, were not illegal. "Mercifully, there aren't many people in New Zealand happy to celebrate Hitler's birthday. I don't think it's going to be a very big party."

Wellington Jewish community leader and Israeli honorary consul David Zwartz said it was "distasteful and offensive", but racism was an unfortunate part of many Western societies now. "I think that will just continue as long as there are some people who live with the obsessions that these people have, which are racist and hateful." Anti-racist groups are also appalled at the move.

"I find it disturbing that people belonging to two organisations internationally known (and even banned) for inciting race hate and committing attacks and murders should be organising here," one campaigner told The Dominion Post.

Wellington police said they were aware of the event, but were not expecting any trouble.

I was appalled when I read this. There are so many 'supposed' anti-terror laws now that limit many rights...yet these people can still celebrate Hitler's birthday.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Re: Freedom to celebrate??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »
Anti-terror laws aside...people should be able  to celebrate the birthday of anyone they choose so long as nobody gets hurt.Like the man said...racism is a part of western society.Oppressing it will not make it go away.If anything it only encourages it and places racists in the percieved role of "victim".

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
It's freedom of speech innit...
It is too early to say.

AMonk

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »
...which our Dear, Departed Uncle Addy was NOT in favour of.  He took extremely strict measures against it, as I recall...

Please note...I am being facetious and ironic.
Moderation....in most things...

Vegemite

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 03:33:50 AM »
Anti-terror laws aside...people should be able  to celebrate the birthday of anyone they choose so long as nobody gets hurt.Like the man said...racism is a part of western society.Oppressing it will not make it go away.If anything it only encourages it and places racists in the percieved role of "victim".

In this global world I just find it a hypocrisy that so many rights seem to be getting trampled on but that party's allowed to go ahead.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 06:45:11 AM »
Hypocrisy it is...but mamma always told me two wrongs don't make a right.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 07:57:42 AM »
people should be able  to celebrate the birthday of anyone they choose so long as nobody gets hurt.
Oy! What did I ever do to you?

I agree that people should be able to celebrate it. Don't forget that most would do it as a kind of joke or kind of kink rather than celebrating something like "the man and his method". I mean, look at Goths and celebrating vampirism. They don't actually turn into vampires.

I think celebrating weird things is more like a fashion statement for the majority.

I also think it is hilarious that many of the people who are neo-nazis would have been first against the wall back then.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »
 cecececece Happy birthday, you weak, brittle, megalomaniacal, mommy-loving, one-testicled, poo-sports-loving, quarter-Jewish Jew hater.  Way to invade Russia.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 09:25:33 PM »
thankyou
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 02:24:07 AM »
 bkbkbkbkbk bkbkbkbkbk
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 02:41:54 AM »
Hmmmm. You perplexed me. But then again you said you wanted to have babies with noles and called him with my name.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 03:01:07 AM »
Hmmmm. You perplexed me. But then again you said you wanted to have babies with noles and called him with my name.
who said what?  aoaoaoaoao

anyways, I do believe that sometimes, there is such a thing as too much freedom..... When someone wants the right to say that they want to clean the face of the earth from everybody who's not a mirror image...  asasasasas
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 05:49:09 AM »
Con did .... aeaeaeaeae

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 12:58:43 AM »
And the Swiss, with all their tunnels.. tttttttttt
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »
I would have zero problems with executing child molesters, rapists, and those who commit serious crimes against people and suffer a mental condition known as borderline personality disorder (basically they don't give a shit and have no conscience). 

Would I prevent anyone celebrating the life and times of these rejects of humanity?  No. 
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)