Converting MOBI format to ordinary PDF?

• 5 replies
Converting MOBI format to ordinary PDF?
« on: February 03, 2011, 03:43:32 AM »
Hi guys, so I am sitting here with about 500 books that I would love to hand out in an electronic version to my darling students, only thing is all these works are in MOBI format, good for Kindle-owners like me but useless to students. Now, can anyone tell, in the most dumbed-down fashion possible how to turn these texts into ordinary PDF files that any computer can read?  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Converting MOBI format to ordinary PDF?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:10:16 AM »

http://calibre-ebook.com/

It's a good free conversion tool for many formats but I haven't tried the mobi to pdf function. If you have paid for the kindle books then they mobi files will have an added layer of DRM (digital rights management) to get rid of before you'll be able to convert them but if you stole downloaded the books from another source, then the DRM was probably previously removed.

If the pdfs don't turn out well, try converting to ePub. It's an open standard that all the students will be able to use, including on their phones. Pdfs are actually proprietary but everyone usually has software to read them.

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »
Guys, I am just a newbie on this, but I am currently reading .mobi files on my laptop with the Mobi reader. Is it necessary to convert to PDF?

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:23:30 AM »
No reason to change that randyjac. The Danish squirrel wants to give his students a more familiar format for them is all.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »
The Canadian God of Nightmares is right, Randyjac. I can read the MOBI things too, but students can't. Figured out how to do the PDF conversion. Tried EPub but my computer won't open EPub files.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

BrandeX

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »