• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Beware WECL Xiamen!!  (Read 7130 times)

openup

Beware WECL Xiamen!!
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I just wanted to inform anyone looking for a teaching job in this great city to beware of this school.  There have been lies, deception, gossip, mistrust and attempts at sabotaging teachers reputations.  I have taught at this WECL for fall semester and I will NOT be going back and I would not suggest it to anyone.  Your contract will say up to 20 classes in various subjects.  I was told I would never have 20 classes and its just in the contract as a backup.  I had 20 classes.  I was also told I would not work on the weekends, I worked on Sundays.  I was given seven different class subjects to teach and to do preparation for at four different levels of English.  This is too much.  Especially considering the low salary of 5000.   You will spend much of your free time preparing.  The books they gave us were trash, boring and not enough to last the semester.  You will not only work during the day 8:30-4:30, but you will have to come back and teach at night at least two times a week.  You will also have much less time off for holidays than most of the teachers at other schools in the city.  The majority of the students at the school are high school drop outs who really lack motivation and by the end of the semester will simply stop showing up for class or leave before they have to take the exam.  Most of this is not told to you before you arrive.  Most of the foreign teachers who work there are not happy but they are afraid to say anything because the don't want to make waves or have bad relations.  I am on my way out so I don't care anymore.  I am going to tell it like it really is so some sucker doesn't get roped into the same lousy situation.  I am not the only one leaving.  Also, they give you an apartment nearby.  However, you are required to pay the 100rmb per month for unreliable internet, plus a share of the utilities too.  Most schools pay this for you.  WECL subtracts it from your pay.  There is also a very old Canadian lead teacher who is supposed to be there to help with problems and concerns between teachers and the Chinese management.  He basically does nothing for foreign teachers and bends to every wish of the Chinese management.  He will say he is there to help you, but whenever there was a problem or concern nothing changed.  He sided with management.  If you get on the wrong side with him from the beginning, he will make your time there very miserable.  I did not like him and he did not like me.  He also forgets many things that you discuss with him.  After he found out I was leaving, he purposely tried to sabotage my attempts at finding a better teaching job in the city.  It did not work because it was all lies and sour grapes.  I now have a much better teaching job.  WECL gave me my recommendation letter and we parted ways, thank God.  My contract was ending anyway.  If you think you would be happy with this type of situation, then I wish you all the luck in the world.  You will need it!  Maybe its OK for someone who wants to teach in China and have no LIFE outside of the job.  This does not describe me or the majority of people who come to China to live and teach.  We want to meet new people, travel, go shopping, have dinners, pubs, visit the attractions, enjoy China, etc.  By the way, there was another WECL in this city that closed recently due to all of these same issues.                 

Fozzwaldus

• Barfly
Re: Beware WECL Xiamen!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
what does WECL stand for?
what type of school is it?
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

rollerboogie

• Barfly
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
There used to be a blog from a married couple that chronicled their WECL nightmares. This was from around two years ago. I wish I still had it bookmarked. bibibibibi I lost it when my computer hard drive at the time crashed.

randyjac

• Barfly
  • 老骥伏枥
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:32 AM »
what does WECL stand for?
what type of school is it?
WECL(World Exchange College of Language) is basically an English language training school.

openup

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
Yes, its an English training school where they pay big money to attend.  But, unlike Web, EF and such it is not a nice, clean, business like school.  We had blackboards with chalk and thats all!  Really crappy!