Funshion

• 20 replies

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
Funshion
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:09 AM »
I'm curious....does anyone else use this amazing website/program for watching movies? It's WAY faster than streaming video sites like Youku, Tudou, ect and they are pretty up to date as well. It's been a lifesaver for me, living without a TV or DVD player. They also lots of TV series as well, such as Weeds, Dexter, Californication, Walking Dead and so on.

You can download it from their English website here: www.funshion.com/english

Re: Funshion
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:11:52 AM »
I had been using PPS to watch movies and tv shows up until this week when the tv shows disappeared on me. I am going to download this one and check it out. Thanks Decurso. agagagagag

Borkya

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:37:58 AM »
Nice Decurso! Of course all my favorite shows just ended, but I will check this out! Been hearin' a lot of good things about Dexter...

BrandeX

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »
No I don't, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else does on their home PC either. I had never heard of it, so I d/l and installed it in a seperate container in a Wine environment under Linux. It is apparently a modification of the open-source Mozilla browser code. It doesn't render properly under Linux and you can see some of the browser parts. So if it's a web browser, why can't you just use a regular browser!? If you visit the Chinese version of the website, what is displayed is virtually identical to the "Funshion program/web browser", however movies won't play as it is attempting to detect a memory resident program that is launched along with the Funshion EXE. (It's flash movies by the looks, and the software itself has no bearing on watching the films in that case, it really is just loading Malware.

After a quick peek on the net, the purpose of this software (which is just a browser, but required to load their resident tracking software if you wanna use their service), is to give you spam pop-ups. (In China, really?!?) (Sorry I detest nearly all Chinese apps.) The TSR loaded monitors your ports, and web traffic, then redirects browsing habits to their servers, which in turn injects targeted pop-up advertising right to your desktop. It's not like it's a virus, but it certainly is "scumware" and classified as adware and a trojan.

external sources:
http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=9e686bb889b0fd8f1a15cba56fdfc33e
http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php?name=Adware.Funshion
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Adware.Win32.Funshion

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »
I used this all the time when I was in China and it worked fine, but I only ran it on the desktop the school gave me. If you have your own personal laptop, I would not use it. For some reason I never had an pop-up issues but I just assume all Chinese programs are trying to give me viruses. So pretty much it works great but just don't use your own computer.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 05:29:52 AM »
The pop ups only come up if you you use the software for watching the movies. However, it downloads the videos directly to your hard drive, so you can use Real Player, VLC ect and skip the pop ups.

The only complaint I have is that once you download a film, it stays in your que until you manually delete it. So if you watch a movie and then delete it, it will automatically download again if it is in your que.

Chinese websites are the best when it comes to getting free shit.  bjbjbjbjbj

Paul

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
I use Funshion and find it far better than Youku or Tudou, but it sometimes causes my laptop to crash and my AV programs consider it to be virus-laden.  The quality of the movies is usually very good, as is the download speed.

xwarrior

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 03:29:35 AM »
I installed Funshion yesterday. A student told me to get rid of it because of the problems it had caused her system - said it would be almost impossible to remove everything.

I decided it was not for me and uninstalled it. It had spread itself through so many places in my system that I ended up with Windows crashing ... and requiring re-installation. I am not happy!

While I try to find an English version of Windows in this city I am forced to use a computer with Chinese everything... so please excuse my $@%*!#^ English 

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Paul

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 05:04:20 AM »

It does cause problems but, on my laptop, nothing I can't undo.  You should be able to get a fake copy of English Windows free or cheap in just about any computer shop.  Go for XP then get it unfaked, so you can download security updates etc.  If you're computer savvy but stuck with Chinese Windows it's a bugger.

I use Funshion because it gives me much higher quality, unlimited, free movies than anything else I've found online.  So every now and then I need to clean up after it - a price I'm willing to pay.

Happy Christmas to anyone else who's here right now (poor family gits like me, poor FTs who are living in villages, etc.) by the way!

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 10:52:29 PM »
Has anyone found a mac version of Funshion I saw this on my friends computer and fell in love but it wont work on my mac  asasasasas

BrandeX

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 04:53:49 AM »
He was probably using something like Wine or Crossover.

Paul

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 03:50:43 AM »
Follow up - I just had to uninstall it.  It started to crash more and more often, till it got to be unusable.

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
Been using Funshion for a while now. I like it 'cause I can find lots of my favourite movies with Chinese subtitles to show to my non-English-speaking friends. Seems like much software in China come with a certain amount of annoyances, such as ads or popups. This is true even for the most popular ones such as QQ. However, I have never had any biblical calamity strike my computer due to any of them and, with the exception of one who's name I can't remember now, I never had any problems uninstalling anything either.

If you're really afraid that a program will obliterate your hard drive, steal your identity and bomb your house, you probably just shouldn't install anything in China.
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“

BrandeX

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »
you probably just shouldn't install anything from China.

Fixed.  bjbjbjbjbj
No typical Chinese sofware is allowed on my PC's at home, even the IME (using Google's instead of that one everyone uses here, I forget the name), and QQ via the website interface only. Every Chinese (persons) PC I have used here is full of crap, spyware, and outright viruses. They usually all have some kind of Chinese made ant-virus "protection" software too. Imagine that.

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 08:24:37 AM »
Their computers are full of crap because, just like my mother and countless other people, many users are computer literate but not information literate, so they indiscriminately install anything that's in front of them. Nothing to do with the software being "Chinese."
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“