Bring Chinese girlfriend to the UK for a visit. 50,000 RMB you say???

• 52 replies

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
Re: Bring Chinese girlfriend to the UK for a visit. 50,000 RMB you say???
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2011, 01:36:06 AM »
Assuming it's 6 months or 1 year, what sort of durations of stay are granted?  Currently, we're plotting 2 weeks, but could consider going for 3.  If we come in with a return ticket 3 weeks out, it would truly suck if she were only allowed to stay in for 2 weeks.
We stayed one month. One thing puzzled me, namely complete lack of immigration processing leaving LAX on the way back to China. We just hopped on AA183 leaving from Terminal 4.

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 02:31:14 AM »
New question - Does a Chinese citizen need some sort of visa or other paperwork to change planes at the Narita Airport in Japan?

Do you mean just changing planes without leaving the airport?

If you are a transit passenger and not planning on leaving the airport then it is not going to be a problem. The problems and complications would come if you needed to leave the airport.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »
Got her passport back with a shiny new visa.  For some reason, it's good for 361 days. mmmmmmmmmm

Now to see about booking some tickets.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
Congratulations. Have a great trip.

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »
Got her passport back with a shiny new visa.  For some reason, it's good for 361 days. mmmmmmmmmm

The other days will be the days that they spent putting the visa into the passport. I noticed the same thing when I got my z visa a couple of years ago. It was valid for 3 months but the 3 month period started the day I had submitted the application not the day I could actually go and pick it up with the visa - so I effectively lost 4-5 days.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
Well that was fun.  A side-trip to California on the way out SAVED me some money on the tickets. mmmmmmmmmm  Guess I should have studied 12 dimensional transcendental aircraft economics calculations in college to figure out how that happened. Paying was a royal pain.  For some reason, it kept erroring on PayPal (worked fine the last few times I used to on the airline's site and there's plenty of money in the linked bank account) and then took 5 tries to convince it to accept a credit card (had to warn my ex about the bill heading her way ahahahahah).

Turns out we're not going through Japan, so that's one less complication.  All the international connections are HK-US, but there's a LOT of flights inside the USA.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

seanf

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
Well, as I promised back in July I am here to update this thread.  My girlfriend and I applied for her UK Tourist Visa in early October and a couple of weeks later it was approved bfbfbfbfbf  Very swift and efficient process and all of the Visa staff along the way have been incredibly helpful.  I want to thank everybody for their help and comments

Sean akakakakak

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »
I hope you have a wonderful time.