Best free windows utilities of 2010

• 7 replies

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
Best free windows utilities of 2010
« on: December 15, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »

Lifehacker just came out with their roundup of top ten best free utilities for windows.
Some of these puppies are real gems that I would pay for.

http://lifehacker.com/5713569/most-popular-free-windows-downloads-of-2010

Good stuff in there!
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Monkey King

Re: Best free windows utilities of 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:03 AM »
Nice, I'm having a look now.

ToneCheck is an Outlook plug-in that checks the tone and word selection of your email and warns you before you fire off an email you might regret.

This one sounds like a joke from the Onion or something - interesting for the language teachers!

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »
Hmmm...I can't seem to open it.  llllllllll

xwarrior

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:03:08 AM »
ToneCheck is an Outlook plug-in that checks the tone and word selection of your email and warns you before you fire off an email you might regret.

This one sounds like a joke from the Onion or something - interesting for the language teachers!

Could it be adapted for the Saloon?  :wtf: With a few things that have been going down in the Saloon the last few months  asasasasas tttttttttt  qqqqqqqqqq  bcbcbcbcbc  ffffffffff  bababababa  asasasasas it could be useful  agagagagag
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:58 PM »
Well, not sure I understand. mmmmmmmmmm
There are ALWAYS frictions whenever groups of people are brought together; at least we try to be pretty good about getting them settled one way or another. If you compare The Saloon to most other competing forums I think we look pretty damn good in this regard.

Personally, since we booted some certain notorious long-term shit-stirrers, I've found the tone of most discussions to be much more genial the last few months than they have been for a long while... bfbfbfbfbf

And anyway, this is an on-topic area, and we waaaaaaay offtopic
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »
That Pale Moon browser is very nice on my windows box. It's a quick fox. I prefer Chrome but I have loads crashing problems with it.

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 06:34:18 AM »
Another great alternative browser based on Mozilla (like Firefox and Pale Moon) is SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org . It's really lightweight (just 10mb to download), very fast and includes an email app, address book/organiser and even an HTML editor. Makes you wonder why the others have to be so bloated. An excellent choice for a cranky old computer that's getting slow, or to show the world you're a geek who care about this stuff. (I am!)

EDIT
An afterthought: if you really want to prove your geek credentials, you could try K-Meleon: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/. It's another good Mozilla-based browser (also very lightweight and fast), and you can be almost sure nobody else in the playground will have one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:24:07 AM by Foscolo »
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

Monkey King

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
Will have a look at these.  I had been using Firefox for years but recently it has made my laptop sluggish to unusable even after a re-install (Firefox was the only thing i could identify that seemed to be causing it), so have just switched to Chrome.