• Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 2698 times)

AMonk

• Global Moderator
HELP
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
ok, SO i PRESSED dOWN ON MY sHIFT KEY, for TOO LONG and now my keyboard is all messed up....My caps lock is Not and I can't get my Enter key to work for messages in FB and I keep getting highlighted sections and extra windows opening.  How do I stop this craziness?
Moderation....in most things...

jpd01

• Barfly
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
Have you tried another keyboard yet? I didnt see if you had tried it with a new one or not yet. Sometimes when you switch parts out then back again it will nullify the changes previously made.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

AMonk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »
Can't change keyboards. bibibibibi it's a laptop

teacheraus

• Barfly
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:05:26 PM »
If you happen to have another keyboard that connects via USB drive you may be able to try it.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

Day Dreamer

• Barfly
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »
This may sound silly, but, remove the keypad and clean out the junk. Sometime, something may just be stuck
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• Barfly
    • ChangshaNotes
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
The Canadian way to fix it would be to hit it with a hockey stick. Maybe you could use a cricket bat. Failing that, cleaning it might work. compressed air or even a vacuum cleaner can dislodge grit if you are uncomfortable with taking the keyboard off.

old34

• Barfly
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Stil

• Barfly
    • ChangshaNotes
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
Solved:
http://word.tips.net/Pages/T000144_Strange_Shift_Key_Behavior.html

Pfft, you can trust that site if you want AMonk, I still hitting it with a hockey stick is your best bet.

AMonk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:22:26 PM »
Hockey stick mmmmmmmmmm  Might work bfbfbfbfbf  D@mn thing righted itself within 1/2 hour llllllllll  But I'll know whAT TO Do next time bcbcbcbcbc

Thanks, Everyone agagagagag  You're the bestest akakakakak

Foscolo

• Barfly
  • Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 12:13:03 AM »
Mrs Foscolo was social-networking drunk and tipped a glass of booze into her laptop keyboard (that's the kind of gal she is, and why I married her). It was straightforward to order a replacement, unscrew the wrecked one and replace it. Perhaps not a job for the complete technical novice, but anybody who has basic familiarity with DIY repairs could do it.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

xwarrior

• Barfly
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »
straightforward to order a replacement, unscrew the wrecked one and replace it.

I have just lost the use of the ESC key on my keyboard. About how much did it cost for your keyboard? ...... and is Mrs Foscolo available to install it for me too?   agagagagag
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

old34

• Barfly
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »
Mrs Foscolo was social-networking drunk and tipped a glass of booze into her laptop keyboard (that's the kind of gal she is, and why I married her). It was straightforward to order a replacement, unscrew the wrecked one and replace it.

Sorry. "The wrecked one" you replaced refers to what/whom?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Foscolo

• Barfly
  • Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »
Sorry. "The wrecked one" you replaced refers to what/whom?

Old34: You should have a career in comedy. In 1973.

Xwarrior: The keyboard cost about sixty of our British silver-pound-groats. That's about one hundred of your USanian buckbacks, or whatever money you use. Robbery, really, when you consider that a plug-in keyboard costs a quarter of that, but still worth it to save an otherwise OK laptop. The computer in question is a Dell, so the part came direct from their website, but for other manufacturers there are numerous online spare parts suppliers.

Foscolo

• Barfly
  • Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 11:46:53 PM »

I have just lost the use of the ESC key on my keyboard.

Waiddaminute... ESC key? I've been using a computer almost daily for ten years and never once preseed the ESC key. What's it for exactly? Is it the same as Control+Alt+Delete, which is way of shutting down your computer to get it out of freeze?

xwarrior

• Barfly
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 01:04:18 AM »
the ESC key. What's it for exactly?

I am not sure of the 'exactly' part but I use it to get out of Full Screen view when watching movies on KM Player. I do that because it tells me to. Think I also use it on Powerpoint for the same reason. There may be another way to do it.

Anyway, I lost the pad part of the ESC key some time ago and since then have used something sharp, eg point of a key, to depress the key.

Two days ago that method stopped working. This morning I turned my laptop upside down and the usual heap of dust, cigarette ash etc dropped out ... and ESC started working again.

PS I have never used the Fn key or the one with the Windows logo - btwn ctrl and alt. Maybe I should!     
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler