Health care in the "little island that could"

• 4 replies

A-Train

Health care in the "little island that could"
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
This is wayyyyy off topic, but I'm trying to confirm something about living in the U.K.  Does an ex-pat living there and working only part time receive full health care coverage?  My limited research tells me that anyone holding a work permit receives national health care, but I'm looking for confirmation that a part-time worker does indeed receive that benefit.  Unlike the U.S., of course, where a part-timer is treated like so much pond scum.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

AMonk

Re: Health care in the "little island that could"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »
Don't know about part-time, expat today, but 40 years ago I was a student there and got my care for nowt.
Moderation....in most things...

NATO

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 04:25:53 AM »
I think you will be entitled. If you are living and working in the UK then you are paying tax to the government - this entitles you to access to things such as healthcare. Just as everyone living and working in say China, for example, is subject to the chosen system of healthcare, so you by virtue of living and working in the Uk are subject to our system of healthcare - just so happens this is largely free. God bless the welfare-state - I hope it survives the recession intact.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:32:26 AM by NATO »

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 04:50:31 AM »
The GP (General practitioner ie. Family Doctor) is allowed to charge you 25 pounds (250 RMB) for a visit but they rarely do. Especially if you are there legally and have your papers in order.

You do have to pay for medication though in the UK, unless you fit into one of these categories: http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

7.20 per prescription.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »
i think it's up to 7.40 now