What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #1035 on: July 07, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »
What was I reading? I tried to read the official novelization of Alien: Covenant by Alan Dean Foster. Reportedly it is both faithful to the movie and features inner voices thus adding a valuable layer. However... and I don't know what it is... but there's just something missing. I did used to read Alan Dean Foster books. I know I've read some of his Alien novelizations before (notably, to my immediate recollection, his Alien 4 version), but this one... not working out for me. Sorry Alan.

I did like his novelization of Dark Star, but otherwise, I've never really been all that impressed with his writing.  I will admit I haven't ready too many of his other books, but somehow, those I read . . . I think I have to agree with "there's just something missing."
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1036 on: July 07, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
I am finally reading The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money, by John Maynard Keynes. An excellent read. Highly recommended.

In other news, I'm flying home today. Yayyyyy!

ababababab

Some people have a different concept of "a little light reading" than others. ahahahahah

Flying home as in back to where you came from or flying home as in coming back to China?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1037 on: July 09, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »
I am finally reading The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money, by John Maynard Keynes. An excellent read. Highly recommended.

In other news, I'm flying home today. Yayyyyy!

ababababab

Some people have a different concept of "a little light reading" than others. ahahahahah

Flying home as in back to where you came from or flying home as in coming back to China?

True, it's not light reading like Harry Potter, for example, but it is so much fun.

Home as in home, not as in China, where I work. Others' views may differ.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1038 on: July 11, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »
Home as in home, not as in China, where I work. Others' views may differ.

Oh, as in Earth, as opposed to Planet China. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

AMonk

« Reply #1039 on: July 12, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »
Summer reading = Anne McCaffrey
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1040 on: July 13, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
Finished Alien: Covenant, the novelization. In book form, [spoiler]the ending is even less satisfactory[/spoiler]

Currently...

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1041 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
Got distracted by Lovecraft's The Curious Case of Charles Dexter Ward, but have returned to reading Fred Saberhagan's Berserkers in the order they were published.

Finished the 2nd book - Brother Assassin and am currently on Berserker's Planet.

Brother Assassin is unique in the books (unless there's something like this in one of the few stories I haven't read yet) by combining Berserkers with one of Saberhagan's other obsessions - Time travel.  It's got 3 main stories.  My only complaint is common to most SciFi writers of the period showing some other planet where humans had to work their way up from the stone age to modern technology. - When it's time to show some historical events, it's amazing just how painfully close they are to very specific incidents in Earth's history.  The names are changed, but the events and people are far far too close to the originals.  If this flaw in the book can be ignored, it's well worth reading.
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1042 on: July 20, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
Finished Berserker's Planet.  Sadly, the one detail I remembered from reading this a very very long time ago was how the final victory at the end of the book was done.  Other than having remembered that massive spoiler, it was fun to read again. agagagagag

Just started reading Berserker Man.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1043 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1044 on: August 02, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »
Berserker Man - Think I started reading this one a long time ago and got distracted.  The first chapter seemed familiar, but everything else seemed completely new.

If you want a classic legend of an abandoned child growing up to save the universe, you'll like this one.  Personally, it didn't grab me nearly as much as some of the short stories in the first Berserker book.  It's worth a read, but it's definitely not the best Berserker story that Fred Saberhagan wrote.

Planning to finish some HP Lovecraft short stories and will then dig into the library to find the next Berserker book.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1045 on: August 09, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
The Power by Naomi Alderman

Excellent book. I very much approve of the fact that the central conceit finally exists. It is an excellent idea generator, and the novel brings a very large number of those big ideas to the fore in actually entertaining and revelatory story form. I'll be suggesting this novel to everyone I meet.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

The Power by Naomi Alderman review – if girls ruled the world

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1046 on: August 18, 2017, 11:02:39 PM »
I recently finished reading Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth.  It turns out there's a music video version which covers all the major plotpoints in less than 2 minutes.

Fishmen - Something to give HP Lovecraft himself nightmares. ahahahahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1047 on: August 26, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »

Not reeeaaal sure about post-alien invasion apocalypse teenage girls still having their social anxiety about the hot jock but the story rips along anyway and seems right on in a number of other kid aspects so I liked it anyway.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1048 on: August 28, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »
The Berserker rampage continues.

Ultimate Enemy - Overall good, but some of the stories are a little hit or miss.  Some Events at the Templar Radiant stands out as one of the best.

Berserker Base - Saberhagan invited some friends to come and play in his universe.  Every other story is by Saberhagan, linking longer stories by other authors.  Sounds weird, but it works.  I've always had mixed feelings on Zelazny, but I read Itself Surprised in Omni before it took its place in this collection.  Itself Surprised is probably the most outstanding Berserker story not written by Saberhagan himself.

Currently, I'm about half way through The Berserker Throne.  Since Berserker stories range over a span of at least a thousand years, recurring characters are exceedingly rare and recurring locations (except as passing mentions) don't happen (note that the linking stories in Berserker Base are in the same location).  Seeing a location from a much older story pop up again was surprising.  This time, instead of a short story at the Templar Radiant, we've jumped ahead over 200 years for a full length novel exploring the Radiant and those who live there.  For me, this is even better, because somehow this book got misfiled a couple of decades back and was lucky to have been found in time to go in the same plastic bin as the rest of my Saberhagan collection when I moved here. - I've never read it.

EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1049 on: August 30, 2017, 10:42:45 PM »