What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies
Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #990 on: November 02, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman.

The novel uses two alternating first person narratives. One narrative is told from the point of view of Fatale, a female cyborg who is recruited by the superhero group The New Champions as they investigate the disappearance of superhero CoreFire. The other narrative is told from the point of view of Dr. Impossible, a supervillain who possesses super-human strength and intellect and suffers from Malign Hypercognition Disorder ("evil genius" syndrome), as he escapes from jail and makes his thirteenth attempt at taking over the world.

bfbfbfbfbf ahahahahah bfbfbfbfbf

Also Beasts of No Nation by Uzodinma Iweala, a first person account by a boy of civil war in West Africa as he becomes a child soldier, and Binti, an odd future space fantasy novella by Nnedi Okorafor of a girl going to university.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #991 on: November 09, 2015, 07:32:10 PM »
The Warriors - Sol Yurick.

Big fan of the movie. Turns out the book uses elements of Anabasis by Xenophon. Might try reading that next.

« Reply #992 on: November 12, 2015, 05:18:48 AM »
Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls by Alissa Nutting. The best short story collection in the universe! I love it so much.

« Reply #993 on: November 16, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

The problem I have with fantasy is I don't know why I'm caring about Dust or daemons or the Master or some gloomy British college. We'll see if I can get past chapter 3.

« Reply #994 on: November 28, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

The second book in Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. The Golden Compass turned out far more engaging than I originally expected, mostly because Lyra Belacqua is such an engaging character. The Subtle Knife seems like it'll be strong too. Will Parry is a grand addition to the stories.

« Reply #995 on: December 02, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
Are any of these banned or controversial?

The best Chinese fiction books of the last century

- Available in English
- Published after 1900
- Written by a Mainland or Greater China-born author.

20 Becoming Madame Mao
19 The Vagrants
18 The Man With the Compound Eyes
17 When Red is Black
16 Decoded
15 Empire of the Sun
14 A Dictionary of Maqiao
13 Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
12 The Book of Sins
11 Northern Girls
10 The Noodle Maker
9 Dream of Ding Village
8 The Good Earth
7 Cat Country
6 Last Quarter of the Moon
5 Fortress Besieged
4 Red Sorghum
3 Love in a Fallen City
2 To Live
1 The Real Story of Ah Q and Other Tales of China

(Meaning: if I give that list to students....)

« Reply #996 on: December 09, 2015, 12:28:29 PM »
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson  - serious Sci-Fi - this guy seems an expert on Mars geology and topography.

« Reply #997 on: February 01, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
So many books, nothing to read.  ananananan

I like zombies, but I've read all the survival horror I can for a while. I like scifi, but maybe Ancillary Justice was enough. And apparently we're leaving dystopias and swinging back to triumphalist, happy endings now (I'm possibly looking at you Kim Stanley Robinson, though I haven't read 2312 yet). I, to my surprise, like fantasy too, but His Dark Materials filled up that cup fairly to brimming. What I did just finish reading was Archivist Wasp by Nicole Kornher-Stace, and that book had it all! A post-apocalyptic technoghost story with archaic worldviews and journeys to unreal dimensions! Fantasy meets scifi in a big booyah bang with a muscular girl hero. Enjoyed it!

Now I have nothing left.

« Reply #998 on: February 22, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
How I live Now by Meg Rosoff (2004)

I love this book with all of my little tiny heart. It's YA, and Chinese book info sites list it as a "children's book", and I'll be 50 soon. So, Elizabeth/"Daisy", fifteen, escapes her father and stepmother by travelling to England to live outside London with her real mother's sister's family. Real mother's sister is a bigwig and often not present because everyone's been Living With The Threat Of War for a long while now. In fact, she leaves the day before a series of large explosions cripple London. The war is noticed by Daisy and the cousins only as a loss of electricity, phones, and as time wears on, food. What the movie of this book didn't quite get is it's the characters and the relationships this story is about, along with the roles of privation and plenty.

YA's not for everyone, I suppose, but I liked this one.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #999 on: February 23, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »
Dracula by some unknown guy.  Brad Stokeman or something like that.

Damn is the pace slow.  Dozens of pages in before the first drop of blood gets spilled.  Think I may die of boredom before the plot gets moving  Seems like the sort of book ETR would like. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1000 on: February 23, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »
It is the sort I would like. Unfortunately, the numerous hollywood adaptations has ruined this fantastic novel for people. It is meant to be slow. Dracula is hardly in it. The novel is about pretty much everything else than a vampire. It is trying to tackle things like science v. religion, women's rights, The New Woman, Atavism, fear of invasion, jingoism, British class system, the burgeoning popularity of Alienist (early term for psychology) just to mention a few themes.

I am currently reading "The Open Veins of Latin America" by Eduardo Galeano. Ripping good history book.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1001 on: April 30, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »

« Reply #1002 on: May 31, 2016, 02:06:52 AM »

Weird, cold book. But honest-to-god hard scifi.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1003 on: June 07, 2016, 12:08:59 AM »
The Chinese Government is Setting Up Its Own Major Science Fiction Award

This is pretty interesting: during the latest national congress of the China Association for Science and Technology, chairman Han Qide announced that the country would be setting up a program to promote science fiction and fantasy, including the creation of a new major award.

Throughout much of its genre’s history, China’s science fiction has had a legacy of usefulness, often promoted to educate readers in concepts relating to science and technology. This new award will be accompanied by an “international sci-fi festival” and other initiatives to promote the creation of new stories.

In the last couple of decades, China has enjoyed an unprecedented boom when it comes to science fiction. Since the 1990s, dozens of authors have broken out and written a number of high profile books, creating a viable community. Every year, Chinese science fiction magazine Science Fiction World issues its own major award, the Galaxy.

This is particularly exciting news, given the increases that we’ve seen in science fiction coming from China. Authors such as Liu Cixin, Chen Quifan, Xia Jia, and others have had their works translated into English frequently, while Liu Cixin’s novel The Three Body Problem earned the Hugo Award for Best Novel last year.

With more works coming to English readers this year, such as Death’s End - the concluding volume of the Three Body trilogy - and Ken Liu’s anthology of translated stories Invisible Planets, greater support for science fiction will hopefully translate into a wealth of new stories.

Given the quality of the stories that have been written already, this could be the start of a promising new wave of exciting new fiction for readers across the world.

« Reply #1004 on: June 14, 2016, 01:55:02 AM »