What Are You Reading??

• 1074 replies

Borkya

Re: What Are You Reading??
« Reply #840 on: August 28, 2013, 01:38:08 AM »
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Actually I had no idea what this book was about. It was just sitting on my kindle for weeks and I wanted to read a long book. But it's really good!

« Reply #841 on: August 29, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »
"Wodehouse on Wodehouse" a collection of P.G. Wodehouse's three autobbiographies. This is not a book to read anywhere near people, as you sudden and uncontrolable burst of laughter might annoy them  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #842 on: August 30, 2013, 02:16:54 AM »
@Borkya yes loved that book too.So well written.There is another one by him but I forgot what it was.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #843 on: August 30, 2013, 02:46:13 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:37:13 AM by Isidnar »

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #844 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:31 AM »
This has got to be my next one the very wonderful Margared Atwood with zombies
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/margaret-atwood-s-zombies-the-present-state-of-the-future-1.1513562?page=1

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #845 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:50 AM »
Rereading Marcus Aurelius's Meditations and Zhuangzi [only the thin paperbacks made the trans-Pacific cut]. To my reading they differ only in the role intelligence plays in ordering one's affairs, but both deeply recognize the paucity of particulars in relation to the universal.

However Aurelius frequently returns to the human scale, half by necessity and half by philosophical bent, while Zhuangzi revels in the inhuman. The Chinese philosopher is closer to nature, but useless, and admittedly so, while the Roman emperor must spend his time chasing ideals half congruent with his worldly duties.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #846 on: September 04, 2013, 02:54:08 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:37:49 AM by Isidnar »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #847 on: September 04, 2013, 06:50:02 AM »

Clothing is easy to get, not so good books. And I hate reading pdfs.

PDFs? I take it you haven't really tried an e-ink reader like a Kindle or Kobo. It's not at all like reading on a computer screen, even a tablet.  Missing is the tactile feel of page turning and knowing where you are in the book by feel but they more than make up for that with the fact that you have 1000s of books in your back pocket and you download books instantly. Reading epub or mobi is not the same as reading a pdf at all.

Anybody who likes to read should really give e-ink a good try. You'll never complain about the lack of books again. I randomly download what people recommend here all the time.

Even the squirrel, has come over to the dark side.

For me, books are not difficult to get at all but clothing is not as simple

« Reply #848 on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:39:33 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #849 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »

Clothing is easy to get, not so good books. And I hate reading pdfs.

PDFs? I take it you haven't really tried an e-ink reader like a Kindle or Kobo. It's not at all like reading on a computer screen, even a tablet.  Missing is the tactile feel of page turning and knowing where you are in the book by feel but they more than make up for that with the fact that you have 1000s of books in your back pocket and you download books instantly. Reading epub or mobi is not the same as reading a pdf at all.

Anybody who likes to read should really give e-ink a good try. You'll never complain about the lack of books again. I randomly download what people recommend here all the time.

Even the squirrel, has come over to the dark side.

For me, books are not difficult to get at all but clothing is not as simple

Agreed.

I got a Kindle 2 years ago, upgraded to a Paperwhite a couple months ago, and never looked back. I never read pdfs either. If I come across something I want to read that is in pdf form, I convert it to mobi and read on my Kindle.

Insidnar, look at the thread on e-readers in the tech section. There are a lot of hints in there about getting good access to ebooks in China.

My 500rmb a month imported book habit has been reduced to practically nothing. 

NATO

« Reply #850 on: September 04, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
"Thinking, Fast and Slow", by Daniel Kahneman. Probably a great book, but I just look at the pictures.
 ababababab

I read that earlier in the year, great book. Didn't have many pictures in my illicitly obtained copy  bibibibibi.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #851 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »
Jumping in here,I was hard to convince about the e-reader thing being an old school bibliophile,love the smell,the feel,the cover etc but having been warned by the aforementioned Squirrel that living in China meant not having available reading matter in English I took the plunge and bought my Kindle in Sept 2011 and now love it.I can trade books with my friends back home and get many many books for little or no cost at all.So yest I miss the tactile but I am never out of reading matter and travelling with 600 page novels is a breeze.  bfbfbfbfbf

Borkya

« Reply #852 on: September 04, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »
Yep, I'm with Piglet on this one. If your in an English speaking country we can have a good debate over the pro's and con's of an e-reader. But if your in China your just stupid if you don't get one. You can torrent all but the most obscure books these days (or legitemitely buy them if your into that.  afafafafaf ) and dealing with books, mailing them, storing them (as many of us have a nomadic life) and getting them is just too much trouble

That being said I have somehow found myself with a bookshelf and desk filled with books. Even after a large culling. Sigh.......

To bring this back to topic I'm now re-reading Tim Ferriss' the 4-houe workweek.I'm reading the updated one.

« Reply #853 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:34 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:40:06 AM by Isidnar »

Borkya

« Reply #854 on: September 05, 2013, 01:20:34 PM »

But can you write in an ebook? I don't feel I've read a book unless I've marked it up. Many books I read are fodder for other projects. I need the handiness of flipping quickly to the right page and of making comments in the margins.

Yep, you make highlight sections and make notes and go back to them later for reference.