The Nanchang institute of technology. First impressions.

• 4 replies
The Nanchang institute of technology. First impressions.
« on: September 30, 2010, 02:39:31 AM »
Hi guys, I'mwriting this because prior to coming here, all searches on this school resulted in negative and scathing reviews, and would like to clean some things up, as to what I have experienced so far.

Location. People, quite correctly said that the university is far out in the stix. However, it is far from isolated. There is a college bus which runs four times a day for free, or there is a bus that runs every five minutes for 1rmb. the journey takes around 40 minutes to get into the center, which is also about how long it takes to ride a bike, something that I would do, were I not so horrifically unfit.

University campus and surrounding area Ok so while it is far out from town, there are a cluster of around five universities and colleges. Becuase of this, there are a lot of shops for food, shopping etc. There is a rather sizable market around ten minutes away and the campus is fairly nice. I dont feel like i'm living in a shanty town when I walk around, and the locals are very friendly (as are the city folk)

Administration Ok so some of the most scathing reviews cited the boss as an evil criminal mastermind who constantly changes contracts, and tries to worm out of paying. I got paid this month on time, with no trouble. Talking to the people who have been here for 2+years, noone has had any such problems. Payment is always on time, and the only amendments to contracts have been due to the employee wishing to change something, rather than the school. out of the 12 foreign teachers that I have met, only one other is new to the school, and the others tend to enjoy working here enough to stay for a long time.

My only gripe so far is that the co-teacher assigned to me is useless and has still not helped me with the few problems that I have had. Instead, it has been the other teachers that have gone out of their way to help me. Oh, they also paid for all medical, residency permit costs and suchlike. They even pay for the taxis to take us down there as well as assisting us with everything. I DID have to pay for my Z visa back in England, but as far as I'm aware, that is fairly standard.

Apartment This is kind of a mixed bag. The apartment is big, but for me it is too big, and I have 2 rooms that I will have absolutely no use for. I see no reason to see this as too much of a negative though, as having a large living area is hardly something to shake a stick at. The bed is also huge, and there are two air conditioning units in the apartment. This college also doesn't lockdown at 11. Well, not for teachers anyway. Several times I have came home post 1am and if the gate is closed, the guard will happily open it. The guards are actually great, and are always happy to wave and say hi, and have even gone as far as giving me food on my way in (they seem to have a thing for watermelons)

Anywho that is it for now. The big test will be when it comes for airfare reimbursement, as these negative reviews have said that they try to screw you out of it. Again though, noone currently working here has had any kind of a problem with it, and so I find the complaints suspicious.  I shall follow up with more information in due course.

Re: The Nanchang institute of technology. First impressions.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:18:03 AM »
Its nice to hear a glowing rebuttal, thanks jameswinterton. First hand account carries a LOT of weight   bfbfbfbfbf
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

AMonk

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »
Its nice to hear a glowing rebuttal, thanks jameswinterton. First hand account carries a LOT of weight   bfbfbfbfbf

Ditto !! agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Ruth

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
Yes, first hand reports are very helpful.  Also good to know that there are a number of folks who are sticking around for a few years.  That speaks loudly and clearly too.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Haha no probsguys.

It just annoys me how many schools get negative reviews based on really weak testimonies of 1-2 sentences. There is one like www.eslreviews.com that seems to slag off anything and everything without actually investigating.

Before I came here- I read that the head of the school is a sinistar evil man who tries to shortchange everyone and avoid paying costs. Well so far, this man doesn't seem to have existed. Maybe he's at the top of the tallest building looking out of a window and laughing evilly whilst twiddling with his little beard.