A Toddler Pool - swimming at home how?

• 4 replies
A Toddler Pool - swimming at home how?
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »
We live in an apartment complex with a truly poorly kept swimming pool.  Very sore subject .....

Our daughter (17 months now) loves swimming and splashing and carrying on.  We took her to the complex's pool but not again.  Ick.

Going elsewhere requires packing bags and stuff and preparation.

So I'm thinking of one of those small splashing pools that she can sit in ... put in on the balcony.

Now I'm sure the water is gonna get hot .... anyone have experience with this type of pool ... how often change the water?  Need chemicals?  Etc,

Thanks!
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

AMonk

Re: A Toddler Pool - swimming at home how?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
Used to have these when my son & nieces were little.  But I had them outside in the back yard.  Changed the water when it got too much debris, and wiped down the pool after I'd emptied it, to cut down on the algae-growth.  I never used any chemicals...beyond the occasional bit of vinegar for the wipe around/rinse out.

Good Luck to you and your Little Paddler :surfing: akakakakak
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:14:14 AM »
A couple questions from a dad:

Is it solid hard plastic that won't bend or is it soft enough to bend? The reason is if you child leans on the side and it collapses, (s)he could not only go ass over tea kettle but flip off the balcony too. It only takes a second even with you by their side

How high are you? And how child proof is the fencing? Not trying to be critical, only drawing attention in case it has been overlooked.

And, how do you plan to drain the pool? In our backyard, the grass liked the water. Not sure it dumping it over the side might be too Chinesy.

Also, in the backyard with a garden hose, its easy to wash and rinse the algae off. Again, where and how are you planning to do it?

Hope I helped
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
Thanks ....

After further consideration, it is probably a bad idea.  Cleaning, dumping water, safety (being 9 floors up), ugh .....

Not to mention the mosquito breeding ground and I'm sure the complaining neighbors ...

<sigh>
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If you buy a cheap inflatable pool and plan on ditching it at the end of the summer there is no real need to worry about hygiene, we used to do this every year in the UK (we tried to keep the first inflatable pool we bought but after it had spent the winter in the shed it mysteriously developed holes so was unusable the next year, from then on we just bought one a year).

You don't need to put that much water in it, just a few inches, then give your daughter some cups/bottles/water toys and she will be happy happy happy. If it does get a bit murky you and your wife should be able to lift it and empty it inside (I'm assuming you have tiled floors same as us so even if you did spill some on the way inside it wouldn't be a major problem).