Don't do it!

• 9 replies
Don't do it!
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
Another couple are walking down the aisle. This will mask my 5th wedding in China, the last one just a week ago in another town.  akakakakak

I've also attended 1 funeral  ananananan

I was once the "priest" in one ceremony. Pretty cool.

This time, I will be the English host. Also cool. There will be a Chinese lady doing that version in tandem.

I have done it all (emcee a couple times, best man a few times, usher a thousand times, groom once) back in Canada. Other than those who actually got married, has anyone else been in the wedding party here in China.
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Don't do it!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:05:20 AM »
Yeah, I've been in two wedding parties. The first was a Chinese couple I had been given credit for introducing. Just made a Chinese speech in this.

The second was last summer when a Brit friend married a Guizhou girl. I hosted this one with plenty of help.

I've also made a couple more speeches at weddings when I was not really in the wedding party. It's just great when you are sitting there minding your own business and the host mentions your name and asks you to come on stage as a ballroom of people stare at you expectantly and you have no Chinese speech prepared. Great fun I tell ya!  kkkkkkkkkk

Borkya

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
No, but a few weeks ago my husband got asked to be the best man at an Irish mans wedding (The irish guy marrying a chinese woman 'natch). We had no idea who the guys was (never met him) but my hubby was asked to make a speech at the dinner and everything. I'm thinking it is one of those lonely guys who met a Chinese lady on the internet kind of things because obviously he had no friends in China and they were just looking for 'westerners' to fill out the group.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:21:55 PM »
I went to a wedding where an English friend married a Chinese guy. She'd already divorced one Chinese husband and ended up divorcing this one, but perhaps it was fun while it lasted.

It was in his home village, four hours by chartered-for-the-day taxi from the city, much of it on dirt roads. Our taxi ran over a chicken (feathered variety, not Chinese slang!) while passing through an intermediate village. It was a hit-and-run, but motorcycles pursued. When they caught up, there was a top-of-the-lungs argument between driver and poultry owner, which ended with money changing hands.

I think the dozen or so of us who turned up for the wedding were the first lao wai, except perhaps the bride, ever to visit the place. Rather nice in some ways, some lovely wooden houses and a large town hall sort of structure where the wedding was. Very rural, though -- goats and chickens loose in the only street, awful toilets, ...

Everyone else partied extensively, but the bride spent most of the day confined to a room with lots of new red furnishings, while local women came to congratulate and advise her. She was not remarkably happy about this, but mostly went along with it.

Somewhat to the surprise of the locals, she got distinctly upset about one thing. A young mother brought her toddler into the room with the intention of having him pee on the floor; apparently this is supposed to bring good luck to the bride, in particular to improve the chance of bearing a male firstborn. The local grannies had some difficulty understanding why a screaming bride drove the helpful young mother and her offspring from the room. I think they wrote it off as "Foreigners are weird."
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
No, but a few weeks ago my husband got asked to be the best man at an Irish mans wedding (The irish guy marrying a chinese woman 'natch). We had no idea who the guys was (never met him) but my hubby was asked to make a speech at the dinner and everything. I'm thinking it is one of those lonely guys who met a Chinese lady on the internet kind of things because obviously he had no friends in China and they were just looking for 'westerners' to fill out the group.
I'd be really interested in hearing more about this after it happens.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
I done did it, and I do be delighted with it so I do!

akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
4 days late, but better than not at all.

Last Saturday, my friends had their ceremony. What a blast! A Chinese lady (friends of the bride and groom) conducted the Chinese portion and I emceed the English version. I was the guy who did the "Do you take...?" and "You may slip her the tongue kiss the bride"

Breakfast Dinner sucked.

It was a secular event, so marrying them does not conflict with my religeous beliefs. That's the second time for me.

I lost 5 ltres of water, it was 37C outside, we had minimal air-con and I was in a suit.

Tuco

• Let me go and I'll pardon you.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:36:13 PM »
i found marriage to be awful.divorce sucked too. but i guess i didnt find the right girl.
When you have shoot, shoot, don't talk.

Dex

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »
DD - how on earth were you a priest?

Well, if it suits you, you could attend my wedding next year and be the priest, groom, bride, organ grinder and fire eater all rolled into one. How's that for an unbeatable offer? For a small fee, I'll even chuck in some random Maio beggars.
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:42 AM »
The couple were both Chinese Christians and had hoped to have a real priest perform their ceremony. This city is somewhat void on religious protocol. They knew a foreigner and asked him to perform the duties but he was busy so he passed the mantel to me. First I asked if my function was authentic or ceremonial. I'm not going to spend Eternity in hell for a thousand kwai.

I was the only big nose there and it was great. I wore a robe, had my own Cross and said the magical words in English, "Do you so-and-so take this shmuck etcetcetc"

Pretty cool having the guys bring their hit g/f to take pictures with me.        afafafafaf

Glad I wore the robe      uuuuuuuuuu