Mosquitos, the child, and BaoBaoJinShui

• 10 replies
Mosquitos, the child, and BaoBaoJinShui
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Okay, mosquitoes love my daughter.  So I bought Johnson's Baby Oil w/ repellent.  My wife does not like it ... she thinks it's for adults .....

So she bought some stuff ... Bao Bao Jin Shui .... that we are to put in the kid's bath water and then mosquitoes won't bite her, her skin will feel better in the heat of summer, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyone have any idea what this stuff is?  Bao Bao Jin Shui .....
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Mosquitos, the child, and BaoBaoJinShui
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
No, but it's good stuff. It does repel mosquitoes (and almost everything else), and it's also a good general summer skin tonic.

He's talking, I think, about the mysterious and pungent green or blue alcohol-based liquid that's sold everywhere during the warmer months in China. Sort of a heavily-mentholated witch hazel affair.

But whatever it is, it works. bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:34:46 PM »
No, but it's good stuff. It does repel mosquitoes (and almost everything else), and it's also a good general summer skin tonic.

He's talking, I think, about the mysterious and pungent green or blue alcohol-based liquid that's sold everywhere during the warmer months in China. Sort of a heavily-mentholated witch hazel affair.

But whatever it is, it works. bfbfbfbfbf

You think it's okay for a 14 moth old?
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
Yeah. Probably safer than Western-style chemical repellents. Just keep it away from eyes and membranes...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »
We never bathed our kid in it but we do use a highly deluted mix of it when she has mosquito bites, never seems to do any harm.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:15 PM »
I think the baby oil with repellant is a bit like Skin So Soft, what we used growing up for Mosquito repellant because my hippy parents were anti-bug spray. It is definitely safe for kids, but if your wife wants to use Bao Bao Jin Shui it is fine. Chinese people like pesticides, but not on their skin. The skin/mosquito tonics are mostly herbal/chinese medicinal.

At night use the mie wen pian (Mosquito Destruction Sticks? I don't think we have these in English speaking countries, or maybe the English name is just escaping me). You can get ones that are especially made to be gentle for kids at the baby stores, but even the regular ones are mostly herbal anyhow if you look up the ingredients. They heat up when you plug them into the wall and give off a sort of nice fragrance that also keeps the mosquitos away. I swear by them, we never go without them in ours or the kids' rooms during the summer months.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:48:02 PM »
Hmmm...I was thinking of Skin So Soft too, but wasn't sure people would know what it was. BaoBaoJinShui is kinda like Chinese Skin So Soft, but with a big jolt of menthol and some kind of industrial perfume deemed unsuitable even for scenting urinal cakes.

Mosquitoes, being relatively wily creatures, wisely steer clear of it. oooooooooo

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »
At night use the mie wen pian (Mosquito Destruction Sticks? I don't think we have these in English speaking countries, or maybe the English name is just escaping me). You can get ones that are especially made to be gentle for kids at the baby stores, but even the regular ones are mostly herbal anyhow if you look up the ingredients. They heat up when you plug them into the wall and give off a sort of nice fragrance that also keeps the mosquitos away. I swear by them, we never go without them in ours or the kids' rooms during the summer months.

I always wondered about these .... I have used the liquid type that gets heated up and scents the room .... and it works amazingly well.  My curiosity was "why is something that works so well at getting rid of mosquitoes not sold in Western countries?" and the answer always is "because it will cause __________"

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »
We never bathed our kid in it but we do use a highly deluted mix of it when she has mosquito bites, never seems to do any harm.

Thanks.  The stuff the people here use always worries me .... they can never describe "what" it is and are way too quick to use something with little to no research.

xwarrior

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
Not sure if this is the same stuff but check out:
http://baike.baidu.com/view/1776465.htm
and then use Google Translate for the page.

It only gives an interpretation of a brand name - which may, or may not, be the product you are using. There are, however, a few hints as to the ingredients.

I like the Chinese approach to baby care - this page is in a section entitled. 'Baby Engineering.' Pretty much sums up their approach to the whole process ... starting from 'being a twinkle in the mothers eye.'
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
Not sure if this is the same stuff but check out:
http://baike.baidu.com/view/1776465.htm
and then use Giggle Translate for the page.

That is EXACTLY the stuff .... thanks!  And the description is quite funny:

"From the color to see, "baby Jinshui" the raw material composition containing wild chrysanthemum, chrysanthemum After soaking, showing a golden yellow and clear, transparent"

And this is worrisome "In the "baby Jinshui" have been developed before, cool oil products on the market, generally oil, and some of its components are excited and anesthetic effect, because it is oily, and less volatile, easy for children touch the eyes and after mouth and going; "baby Jin Shui" is a natural Chinese herbal medicine, water-soluble, volatile, volatile child immediately after painting, not easy to touch the eyes and mouth and going."

It is volatile immediately after painting .... Ka-BOOM!!!