For Schnerby and other artists

• 6 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
For Schnerby and other artists
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:02:45 AM »
The Textile City Art District is a really cool place to hang out in Xi'an.  I was invited to the opening of a travelling exhibition on the weekend and thought that the artists among us may be interested in some of the stuff that is happening around here.

The title was 1xSuitcase and the artists were required to create using either a mental or physical journey concept.  Each artwork had to fit inside a suitcase.  In each country and city it travels to, local artists are invited to add their works, and they in turn travel to the next country.  From here it will head to Shanghai, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.  It has already been to Malaysia and Thailand, and started in Singapore.

Thai artist who wishes she could bring her son with her on her journeys.

Singaporean artist mapping her emotional journey

Co-curator (he received his Fine Arts degree from RMIT in Oz) with his artist journals.

Some of his abstract work - different forms - sandpaper, prints etc were used to create the shapes of his journeys.

Another local artist - work in a suitcase

Singaporean curator's suitcase.

Thai artist's installation work

Another Singaporean artist, with her traditional folded books of pen dn ink impression of her journeys.

One of the many 'hang out' spaces in the Art District.

The owner of this particular gallery and his book of photos and poems.  he was nice enough to give it to me!  bfbfbfbfbf

The Art district also has studios and living spaces for the artists and we visited a few of them  For 8Y per sq metre it is pretty cheap living!

Another one

Work area in studio/home

Sculpture studio

Ceramics works

And the comfy bathroom!  In one of the studios.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:26:46 AM by Lotus Eater »

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: For Schnerby and other artists
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »
nice  ababababab

George

• My view of China
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:33:49 AM »
Nice pics, but I don't think much of the "art". I like the ceramics, and the idea of the studios and living space. I thought of that idea eons ago, but it never saw the light of day. Work kept interfering with life!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Schnerby

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 01:36:42 AM »
(back from the dead, just for this post)

Lovely! I think it's a great concept.

I so want a studio there. Maybe next year... work isn't nearly this exciting.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:13 AM »
(back from the dead, just for this post)
Suck it up, Schnerbs. We all get our knickers in a knot from time to time.....doesn't mean you have to sulk forever! agagagagag agagagagag
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

xwarrior

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 01:45:06 AM »
Nice one Lotus Eater. Great photos - for a while I thought that the one of a 'hang out place' was one of the installations.

The living spaces have given me a few ideas for the crappy room I live in - now I just need an architect, chippy, plumber, electrician etc., etc
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
v.cool

one thing that I always loved about being a foreigner in China was the almost instant access I got to some very serious artists. I was always amazed by how enthusiastic they were about showing around their works and their studious.

I choose to believe this is because of the lack of interest from the average Chinese Joe Six-Chuanr, not because they thought I was a rich foreigner who was going to buy something.  ahahahahah

One I particularly loved was a great little gallery in Chengdu:

http://www.1000plateaus.org/index.html

If anybody wants an introduction to the Belgian curator, just let me know. Well worth an afternoon.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪