TED - My new favourite website

• 6 replies
TED - My new favourite website
« on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:57 AM »
this is amazing. you should watch it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_reveals_new_insights_on_poverty.html

TED is this amazing website that has all these talks by really cool people. None of them are longer than 20 minutes and they're usually funny or inspiring in some way.

Have a good time!
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Borkya

Re: TED - My new favourite website
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:52:15 AM »
I too love TED. There is a really good one by Jennifer.8.Lee that is good for class. She talks about the origins of American chinese food and of the fortune cookie. My students (uni kids) had never heard of a fortune cookie before so it is a good way to introduce it to them!

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
Always the same: this, the greatest site on the entire web, streams a great talk for you... for about the first 3 minutes, then fails.  llllllllll

I gave up months ago.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
You can subscribe to them as podcasts in iTunes Con. Download them, then watch them from your hard drive rather than streaming.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:56:08 AM »
You can subscribe to them as podcasts in iTunes Con. Download them, then watch them from your hard drive rather than streaming.
This is certainly the best way to do it. I find the website too slow, and I like having the videos put on my iPod automatically.

Since we're in the BS-pit, I thought this talk by Sam Harris was great: Science Can Answer Moral Questions. Here's to hoping we'll someday be in a world where reason, not religion, is used to discern right and wrong.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:55 PM »
It's too bad they censored the Sarah Silverman speech. By all accounts it was an epic bit of satire on National Lampoon levels of hilarity. It really took the TED audience for a loop.

Invictus

• "文武双全"
    • My Band @ MySpace
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:40:34 PM »
Here's to hoping we'll someday be in a world where reason, not religion, is used to discern right and wrong.

Reason with a capital 'r' is overrated, which is why the Romantics attempted to do away with it in the early nineteenth. A balance between Reason and spirituality (not necessarily organized religion which is, I suspect, what most object to) would be the fairer solution.
“就算杀了一个我,还有千千万万个我。“