unlicensed training center raided, FT visa revoked for good

• 10 replies

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
I have / had a friend in Shekou, Shenzhen that worked at a local training center there for awhiles... he be a clean cut American.

bout a month ago he told me the school got raided by the PSB while he was teaching a class,
they had no license to hire foreign white face monkeys...

They fined the school 50,000RMB...

& took his passport, Canceled his visa that he got on his own & gave him a 10 day visa so he could get his things together before Leaving China.

He called me from Hong Kong a week laterz....
`said No Can get a Chinese visa, the agents in HK told him he needs a new passport to get one.

So.... the PSB must have put a mark on his passport number in the computers....

He's now in Indo teaching.

`is all I know....
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Re: unlicensed training center raided, FT visa revoked for good
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »
 apapapapap  It has always struck me as unfair that the fuzz blame FTs when the paperwork isn't fully kosher.  Heck, the authorities often don't know quite what is legit and what ain't.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

belrain

• In past travelling, now becoming Shanghai resident
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 07:55:19 PM »
But this is quite normal in China. If something is wrong or does not work ceorrectly, it is the fault of the foreigners. If everything is ok, the chinese get the honours. Daily business in China  llllllllll
cdcdcdcdcd Das Leben ist schön

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »
One of the reasons that it pays to be very, very careful over places to work, visas etc.  We are always on thin ice.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:16:51 AM »
Incidents like this are starting to pop up all over...been a few in Suzhou, too.

It's one reason I'm so shrill and dogmatic and generally un-fun about getting a residence permit if you're going to teach here. This stuff really does happen.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell what's behind this...it's hard to tell how much is genuinely a crackdown on illegal schools, and how much of it is just the schools that ARE tight with the local police shutting down unwanted competition that's NOT tight with the police...  bibibibibi

How can you tell if a school is illegal?
Simple.
If a school hires foreign workers, but is unable (unable, not unwilling) to give full-time foreign workers a residence permit, it's illegal.
And it's very, very common.

Please: always have one job that will give you a residence permit. A FULL-TIME job that can't or won't do this for you is NOT a good deal.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »
yea, that's why I posted this, I know many teaching illegally here...
their backs be bety bety wet from da long swim 
uuuuuuuuuu

this is the first one I know First hand, heard a few story bout this happenin....

was prolly cause the school no pay the right folks up front, but dat no matterz to me friend Now.

&....

it IS the foreigners Fault!
HE took the job knowing his visa wasn't the right kind.
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 02:31:41 PM »
Just last week a teacher I know had his contract cancelled and was politely (forcfully) asked to leave China for working on the wrong visa.

It's just not worth it in my opinion. Don't go for quick and easy. Spend a little time looking for the good ones.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Lono Tiki

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
But, people won't. For every responsible foreigner teaching here, there's a dozen twats.

If only everyone were as smart (and gorgeous) as our lovely LT...

Lono Tiki

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »
Of course she is!

Wonderfully intelligent and classically sexy...  ;D

moon over parma

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 06:33:45 PM »
In the different places I've taught (China's next on the list, soon enough) I found that most of the people working illegally weren't qualified enough (read: no uni/college diploma) to obtain a job on the up-and-up. I met some who were screwed by their legal employers and skipped the country only to come back and work the remainder of their time on tourist visas until the bad school's contract expired (this was more often the case in South Korea. Most employers in Taiwan usually will allow you to leave and find a new sponsor, or transfer your visa to a new school).

Getting legal in South Korea and Japan is a breaze. Taiwan, almost as easy (you do take a physical, but it's in-country and not particualrly pricey, nor cumbersome). China - it appears that you jump through hoops, but if the school's legit it seems that it's not that difficult (just expensive for some: see Z visa thread). I really can't see the advantage of sticking one's self in dodgy situations and/or wanting the headaches that could come with it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:35:43 PM by moon over parma »

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:37:01 PM »
Not only the dodgy situation, but also the cost of having to pay the fine then as well.  Then if you are allowed to stay, trying to find another job at a bad time of the year, having no income (especially after forking over for the fine) and still needing to pay rent (or get out of the employee sponsored place and find another) buy food and travel to interviews etc.

Not worth the angst.