Do you drink the tap water here in China?

• 50 replies
Do you drink the tap water here in China?
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »
We don't.  We have the machine and large bottles of water delivered.

We wash our dishes and shower in the tap water.  The baby's bottles get sterilized though.

The refrigerator in our apartment has a water dispenser.  The water goes through a plastic filter (looks like an oil filter from a car) but is not heated.  We only drink that when the bottle is empty and we are waiting for a new one.

Who drinks the water?

"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

Re: Do you drink the tap water here in China?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:51:58 PM »
No I don't drink the water. We have water dispensers supplied with our uni apartments and just have to pay for the water.  I was told it wasn't considered safe to drink straight from the tap.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »
We drink the tap water here in Chengdu AFTER boiling it. We fill up a couple of plastic bottles and once cool put them in the fridge for cold water. I never get sick from the water, although it could of course be doing untold long-term damage. However this is what all the local people do, and to be honest I don't trust that the water in the bottles is any safer than the water from the tap but maybe that's me just being cynical!

Schnerby

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »
I only drink it boiled. I suppose it may be killing me, but I dare say the air is doing more damage

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:15:53 PM »

mostly mineral water for me, from those big water dispensers.
I use tap water for cooking and might drink it occasionally after double-boiling it.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »
i just buy bottled water, don't trust tap water anywhere

George

• My view of China
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:36:02 PM »
We have a filter system. Pour in the water straight from the tap and drink the result. No problems.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Schnerby

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »

Anywhere? Even outside China. I grew up on Melbourne's tap water and I can't wait to get home and start drinking straight from the tap again.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 01:42:07 AM »
Another bottled water user here. I sometimes do boil a litre or so and keep it in the fridge when I'm getting low and awaiting a new delivery.

Always use tap water for cooking, washing veg for cooking and even cleaning my teeth.
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 01:48:53 AM »
I have the big water bottles delivered, plus I will drink boiled water from the taps.  Like most others, I shower, clean teeth, cook, washup etc using the water straight from the tap.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 01:49:20 AM »
Yeah, you can drink most tap water in the U.S. NOT and NEVER N-E-V-E-R in China though. I think I didn't thoroughly boil the water all the way (I don't even know... call me ditzy like my mom) and I had bad stomach problems for 4 days. I will NEVER do that AGAIN. Double boil indeed... and let it run from the kettle a few seconds before boiling as we all know the kettle can turn a white film on the bottom from the water... or is that just my area?

Monkey King

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 02:41:13 AM »
A clueless newbie friend of mine confessed to have glugged a pint of tapwater here one hungover morning not long after arriving (we're both Scottish, and the tapwater there is very drinkable).  She spent most of the next 24 hours on or near the toilet bowl.  I felt sorry for her but it was pretty amazing that she was so utterly unaware that this was a no no...(nothing serious came of it long-term).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:46:58 AM by MK »

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 03:09:45 AM »
I miss Scottish water A LOT, even when we lived in England you could taste the difference and it was always exciting to go home and drink sweet, pure Scottish water from the tap!

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 03:54:48 AM »

Anywhere? Even outside China. I grew up on Melbourne's tap water and I can't wait to get home and start drinking straight from the tap again.

the stuff in england is safe, but it's full of drugs

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 04:07:19 AM »
Growing up I drank tap water back home in America, as did everyone else I know. Later on bottled water became more popular, but as a kid the only time I remember not drinking tap water was when our hometown was hit by a hurricane and we didn't have electricity or safe running water for weeks. I am sure the tap water back home is still safe, but it seems like everyone prefers bottled these days.

In China I drink tap water if it has been boiled. It is safe but there is a lot of mineral residue left when the water boils off. My husband doesn't even like to drink the bottled water from our water machine if the water has not heated all the way up to boiling first, as apparently you can't always trust that the water is always actually bottled water and not just tap water packaged up to look like bottled water. aoaoaoaoao Personally I take my chances because there are times when I would just rather not drink hot water, or wait for my hot water to cool off.