Ebooks

• 23 replies
Re: Ebooks
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 06:15:07 AM »
Kindles aren't actually all that expensive. I think the most basic Kindle they have out right now costs $79 brand new and the most expensive one is close to $200 -- and that's with all the bells and whistles. I'm going to bite the bullet and get myself one as a Christmas present. :)

I would absolutely recommend it. I got the bog standard one.
I tried to read books on my laptop and even though you can get most books on a laptop (for free) after a very short amount of time it really really hurt my eyes. For the amount of money a kindle costs it's definately worth it merely for the health of the eyeballs  ahahahahah
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Borkya

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
Kindles aren't actually all that expensive. I think the most basic Kindle they have out right now costs $79 brand new and the most expensive one is close to $200 -- and that's with all the bells and whistles. I'm going to bite the bullet and get myself one as a Christmas present. :)

I would absolutely recommend it. I got the bog standard one.
I tried to read books on my laptop and even though you can get most books on a laptop (for free) after a very short amount of time it really really hurt my eyes. For the amount of money a kindle costs it's definately worth it merely for the health of the eyeballs  ahahahahah

I would also add a hearty recommendation. The eye soreness is a big thing for me, as I tend to read about 2 books a week and I have no problem with the kindle. Plus as a traveler it is a godsend because before I used to weigh down my bags just to suueze enough reading material in for a month long trip or so. Now I just pop my kindle in my bag and I'm good to go. (I was actually able to downside my bag due entirely because of the kindle.) 

SpV

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »
I really don't know how I'd survive in China without my Kindle, reading really is an essential part of my life and if I'd have had to bring reading material here with me I really don't think there would have been much space in my suitcase for clothes.

However with a kindle I have a piece of equipment that easily slots into my laptop bag and I have about 5k e-books downloaded onto my laptop ready as and when I need them.

I know a few good sites for downloading e-books, however these are the same sites where I download my TV progs, movies and music, so I'm not entirely sure how OK Raoul would be with those links being posted on the forum, so if anyone needs pointing in the right direction please feel free to PM me.

SpV

Crippler

• Dangerous place to post
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »
I have the one with 3g and wifi and keyboard. I have over 50 books on it now and more to come. I read about 4 or 5 books a week so it does save my eyes from computer wear-out.  Still lots of room for more on it. And I have Kindle for pc so can copy back and forth if I need to. Thanks to multi Terrabyte hard drives

xwarrior

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 01:45:55 AM »
Check out ........

http://www.ebook3000.com/

it also has some 'interesting' magazines   afafafafaf
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 03:41:44 AM »
I can't recommend the kindle enough (or any e-reader for that matter), espcecially living in a city that is not Beijing or Shanghai (which have proper English book stores or places like The Bookworm).

I have read more books on my kindle in 8 months than I have paper books in the last 3 years.

Not to mention after the initial investment on the machine itself, the books are virtually free and only a click away (puns intended).
"The soldiers carry our hatred for us, and they do our killing for us. So do the police. We carry morality for them."

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 04:26:01 AM »
So since my Kindle is coming over with my brother for the holidays I've been looking into how to get more books onto the thing and found this great Taobao store: http://enbook.taobao.com/

They sell all $1-$100 books on Amazon for 8rmb apiece. They also do subscriptions to newspapers and magazines. They'll let you try out the service on one less than $20 book for 3rmb. I just did it and it works great. I am going to save so much money on books because of this thing, right now I easily spend 500rmb a month minimum.

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
They send them through e-mail as a .rar file which unzips into a mobi file. So, to be safe, just use a dummy e-mail account to recieve them. They have hundreds of positive reviews on Taobao so it seems like no one has run into any real problems yet.

I really have no idea how they do it, but you can also get books from amazon.uk and amazon.de and they will send you the exact book you request from the link you send so it would imagine they somehow have access to the actual ebooks rather than just having a massive database of pirated books. This is China so there's certain to be something sketchy about the whole set up but you really can't beat that price.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
I have Kindle and I like the fact that many of the books I use for historical research are free and if I do need to pay most cost less than a dollar.