Semester schedule

• 8 replies

A-Train

Semester schedule
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:37:25 AM »
I see that the Chinese New Year begins February 14th, 2010.  When does the Spring semester begin at your schools?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Semester schedule
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:53:23 AM »
We start on 6th March and officially finish on July 10th (although I expect my classes to finish a couple of weeks before then).

3rd years and Post Grads finish on 15th and 8th December, 1st years 6th Jan - so that gives me 9 and a bit weeks holiday.  If I didn't have the 1st years ....

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:05:15 AM »
Wow, LE. And I thought my grad school used to give me a long holiday. Maybe I should move back to China and join you up north.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »
My school goes back at the end of Feb., I believe our official holiday is Jan. 23rd through Feb. 23rd, exactly one month, but I might be off by a day or two on the dates. I teach high school and we follow the public school calendar. University students are out for a bit longer than us.

Schnerby

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:20:35 PM »
My school officially finishes on Jan 18 and recommences February 28th (I think...)

They asked the foreign teachers to do ther exams the last week in December and the first week in January. We set up our dates with our students, then they asked us to move our exams to the second and third week in December.  llllllllll

I set mine beginning December 7th so I can then have another week with them post exams.

Borkya

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Officially our school ends on Jan 22nd, but they made the first semester extra long so my classes actually end the last week of Dec. Then classes begin March 1st so I'll have a cool 2 months off!

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »
Everyone has a different holidy or umm Spring Festival? I don't get it. How does that work? I was recently misinformed, but apparently I THINK (about 90% sure) that I have 2 months off (entire Jan and February, though the regular Chinese teachers only have February 8-28 off??? I don't get it either). School won't restart until March 1 also... until end of June... uh yeah. lol

Ruth

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:10 PM »
China Chao, are you in a middle or primary school?  When I was in a senior middle school, I got a good two months off.  My oral English classes stopped before the end of the semester because the students had to study for exams.  Then they had exams, but not for my classes.  After the holiday they'd go back early for extra lessons; again, for the important classes - not mine.  My Chinese co-workers were responsible for all of this stuff. Meanwhile, I got paid for not working.

I'm in a uni now. My classes and exams will be over during Christmas week. Our official holiday is Jan 16 to Feb 28.  Classes begin again on March 1st.  The official summer vacation begins on July 10th.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 05:50:35 AM »
Hey Ruth. I'm at a primary school. That makes sense then, why we have two months off because I do recall the exams are at the end of January, but once again probably not for my conversational young little kids (I do 3rd and 5th)... Yeah, this job is easy and the kids are some what cute even though they drive me crazy by not listening.  llllllllll Anyways, we only get paid about 13% of our salary during those two months and even though that's enough for the Chinese to survive, I'm trying to figure out a back up plan either in the form of a Korean winter camp or Europe travels. lol, both very different as one is working and the other is spending money for vacation. lol.

China Chao, are you in a middle or primary school?  When I was in a senior middle school, I got a good two months off.  My oral English classes stopped before the end of the semester because the students had to study for exams.  Then they had exams, but not for my classes.  After the holiday they'd go back early for extra lessons; again, for the important classes - not mine.  My Chinese co-workers were responsible for all of this stuff. Meanwhile, I got paid for not working.

I'm in a uni now. My classes and exams will be over during Christmas week. Our official holiday is Jan 16 to Feb 28.  Classes begin again on March 1st.  The official summer vacation begins on July 10th.