Medical Requirements

• 9 replies

A-Train

Medical Requirements
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »
Can someone tell me what the basic medical requirements are for most universities in China and how that is verified?  Is there usually a check-up at the university upon arrival and/or documentation from your own doctor?  If you have a medical condition, (not AIDS, SARS, H1N1 or anything communicable for that matter), will they summarily dismiss you?

Thanks.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Medical Requirements
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:29:23 AM »
Let me see if I can recall my exam.

Heart rate, temperature, blood pressure, height, weight, sonogram (to confirm the presence of internal organs, I guess), blood and urine test for nasty diseases, and a questionnaire where I laughed maniacally while affirming my sanity.   ahahahahah

Pretty simple stuff.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Schnerby

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:42:38 AM »
If it's nothing communicable or super serious (heart murmur, for example) I guess it would be ok. Depends on the seriousness, I suppose.

For example, I have some severe food allergies. It's nothing I had to put on the questionnaire, nothing I was tested for and nothing I was ever asked about.

AMonk

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 06:18:34 AM »
We've had diabetic folks accepted by various and sundry Schools/Universities...with (almost) no problems.
Moderation....in most things...

A-Train

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:35:32 AM »
If it's nothing communicable or super serious

Welllll.....I suffered a heart attack a year ago.  I'm in good shape, exercize regulary, (even hold a black belt), and eat pretty well.  I think I just chose the wrong parents.  I figure admitting to this fact will cause many employers to immediately point to the door without so much as a "gào​bié​".  But I don't know.

The thing is, now that I've been treated, I know that my heart sufferred no damage and that the arteries are more clear than the vast majority of people.  I just wonder if the stigma will keep out of any place that's decent.

Thoughts?
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 07:39:20 AM »
I had a good friend of mine suffer from a heart attack when he was 35. He is pushing 50 now. No problems. Don't ask, don't tell? Is that something that is specifically asked by the examiners and/or questionnaire?

Ruth

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »
The thing is, now that I've been treated, I know that my heart sufferred no damage and that the arteries are more clear than the vast majority of people.  I just wonder if the stigma will keep out of any place that's decent.
So if the questionnaire asks you if you suffer from heart disease you can honestly answer 'no'.

I know someone who had a heart attack in China and was subsequently hired by a uni.  Because the uni is responsible for you, they do want some sort of guarantee that you aren't going to die on them.  Of course, none of us can promise that.  It's the communicable stuff that's the main concern and then the question of are you healthy enough to do your job.  I suggest the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.  If the medical test shows you've been treated for a heart condition, you can just tell them 'all better now'.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »
If the medical test shows you've been treated for a heart condition, you can just tell them 'all better now'.

I prefer to say I've undergone a cardiovascular upgrade.   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

A-Train

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »
So if the questionnaire asks you if you suffer from heart disease you can honestly answer 'no'.

That's a question and answer I hadn't thought of.  I guess I could honestly say 'no'.  But won't the question of past heart disease come up in some way for insurance purposes?

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »

That's a question and answer I hadn't thought of.  I guess I could honestly say 'no'.  But won't the question of past heart disease come up in some way for insurance purposes?

If your school gives you any insurance at all it will in all likelyhood just be a very basic policy designed to cover your ordinary medical needs, and there won't be any restrictions for pre-existing conditions. Don't expect too much in the way of insurance from any Chinese school. The insurance some schools give is a nice bonus, but usually it is nothing you can really rely on in a true emergency.

If you decide to get your own private expat insurance then the issue would come up, but your school wouldn't know about that, because it would be all on you.

I think the main thing the health check is really concerned with though is communicable diseases. Sure the school doesn't want you to die on them, but that's not the real reasoning behind the health check. I had a friend who found out he had a heart murmur when he had his health check done and was still granted his residence permit. No one even seemed particularly concerned.