Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Shroomy
« on: October 31, 2009, 08:19:20 PM »

And when no hope was left in sight on that starry, starry night
You took your life as lovers often do
But I could have told you, Shroomy...
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Shroomy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:28:49 PM »
Shroomy very quickly became much loved by the people on this forum. Her kindness, generosity, and intelligence were evident to all who came to know her.

It wasn't so long ago when I myself stood at the threshold that Shroomy ultimately faced. Through friends in a local hospital, she kept me supplied with anti-depressants I couldn't afford to buy...and that probably did much to save my own life. She answered my frantic 4:30 am phone messages and helped me keep something of a grip.

To know that she crossed that threshold herself, and I wasn't able to help her, is a tremendous sorrow to me. She will always be missed, mourned, and remembered with love by me.

I pray often for the rest of her soul. I hope you will join me.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Schnerby

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:58:14 AM »
My only contact with Shroomy was through this forum, although she was a valued member who provided plenty of useful information and helpful advice.

We never met, and until now I didn't even know her name, but more than once she offered a kind word or some much needed advice - something which I am grateful for.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:41:28 PM »

I pray often for the rest of her soul. I hope you will join me.

Shroomy is in my prayers and no doubt in the prayers of many others whose path she crossed.

May she find peace.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »
I had to dig on the computer for some stuff and I came to find a file of our conversation. I was on my way to Changchun and she only knew me from this forum. Just to show you the quality of the woman.

Day Dreamer,

You are welcome to stay here for a while.  I may have a female Chinese friend staying also, but there's plenty of room, also XXX upstairs could put you up if his girlfriend is here.  I don't drink coffee, but I know XXX would be pleased to hear about you.

I live on the medical school campus, in the #3 Foreign Teacher's apartments.  I will have a friend come by tonight or tomorrow afternoon and send you the address in Chinese so you can show it to a taxi driver.  I don't have a night class on Wednesday, so i'm here from 5 pm on.  Will you have an interview that night at Perfect English or the next day?  Do you want me to arrange an appointment at English First to compare facilities and offers.  I would strongly recommend it, even if you think you know what you want.  You might be in a better bargaining position.  I can make a call to the HR person and set it up for whenever it suits you.  I can also get a list of other schools if you are very unsure about those choices.  Be aware that any school that hires you will make a fake diploma for you, because they must show a diploma to get your paperwork done.

Please don't sign anything without bringing it home for me to go over with you.  I have been burned and have read and met others, so we can look it over and check for red flags.

I look forward to meeting you, and having someone my own age around to talk to.

Colleen

Her offer to help was completely unsolicited. I going to miss her more and more everyday
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

AMonk

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 12:21:01 AM »
'Shroomy (aka Colleen) was a very good friend to everyone she met here at the Saloon.  Whether or not you got to meet her in person, she was There for you, if/when you needed her.  She gave generously and lovingly of her time, her knowledge, her experience - and yes, sometimes her money - even when she was not herself in a good place.  She never stinted and seldom complained. 

She was Good People.

The world is a little dimmer now that her light has gone out.  I miss you, 'Shroomy akakakakak
Moderation....in most things...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »
Miss you Shroomy!   akakakakak
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back in here, and now that I've read this thread, I'm even sorrier.

Shroomy - Thanks for your kind words, your realistic advise and your friendship. I'm sorry I wasn't here for you. You'll be sorely missed.

In my prayers, always,

LT  :-[
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
I never even noticed this room until I got the news about Matt.

I talked to Colleen over the phone on a couple of emergency matters concerning other folks.  She was tough yet compassionate.  She was a problem solver, and amazing in a crisis.

She was also wise, and a terrific poster.  One of best people I never met face to face, if that's not confusing.  I'm better for having known her.

She'll be remembered.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:08:20 AM »
Colleen would have been 52 today
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Dex

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:10:09 AM »
Never knew her, but rest her blessed soul.

Dex
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture

AMonk

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »
Still missing your wisdom and advice, 'Shroomy akakakakak 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:18:22 PM by AMonk »

Ohio1967

• Mt. Hood, Or.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »
It is very nice to hear your nice thoughts about Shroomy

I am sure she appreciates the kind words even now!
Always be your best!

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
I was looking at a note on my calendar this morning 31st October. Two years today since Shroomy passed. I'm sure many folk will think of her today and say a prayer for her.

AMonk

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 11:44:35 PM »
Thank you for the reminder, Granny.