Health Exams For Z Visa

• 74 replies

moon over parma

Re: Health Exams For Z Visa
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2007, 06:22:37 AM »
back in the PI, all overseas workers are required to have their medical exam before they can have our visa. it costs us a fortune also since we have to take the med exam from the accredited hospitals by the embassy...

and when i got here, i still had to take the med exam.. (i paid for it)

the new FT in my school, who's an irish, told me it's not a requirement for them in their place...

Well, solongtinik, depending on which way the wind blows at the FEP in whatever province I end up a few months: you and I will have some similar China-based experiences.

I know it's pretty rough for many PI workers who come to South Korea and Taiwan for work. Same, pricey, elaborate situation (but for many, the work is more physical and dangeorus than teaching English). Thanks for sharing your experience.

agagagagag

moon over parma

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »
Which I don't really get as they are already taking my blood why they want my pee?

If they're Daoists - like DIE HARD daoist; maybe they drink it? aaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbb

I don't mind filling up a cop of liquid me, but Taiwan took the cake when they used to want a steaming sample of da-bien. Most places on that island don't require the vial of your home-made fudge anymore!  bqbqbqbqbq It's very difficult to make the "big narrow" on command!

Thanks again, Missi.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:59:08 PM by moon over parma »

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 12:47:46 AM »
Sorry to pull a Lazarus on an old thread.......

This was last updated in 2007. Has anyone had the medical roundabout for a Z visa lately?

Chatting to a school the other day and asked about this. Do I get the medical in the UK or in China?
Told me that I'd need to get my NHS doctor to sign a form to confirm I was in good health, then the actual medical would be done when I get there.

Anyone else had this?, or should I give the consulate in Manchester a call to confirm the situation as they will have to process the application?

Plus the medical is pretty simple?.....No HIV, No TB, A pulse......PASS!

Anyone help with their recent experiences?
Arse end of nowhere...across from the renegade province.

"Liberty is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - George Orwell

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 01:24:10 AM »
The medical in China is fairly thorough; about 8 different rooms / inspections.

Chest x-Ray
ECG
Lab exam (urine and blood) for HIV and syphilis
Lyph nodes
eyes and ears
and (as my students write) so on

So, if you have a serious medical condition, they may find it, but honestly it's nothing to worry about, unless you're trying to hide something. It's always nice to know that vaguely qualified health professionals don't believe you're about to drop dead.

I donlt think this is the exact form that they use
http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/hzqz/zgqz/Q2.pdf
maybe my city have a local version, but it gives an idea of what they're looking for.

I have to admit I'm using it as an incentive to get fit for my next one in a few months time. I've picked up a little extra luggage in the last year. If people are going to be prodding me, I'd prefer to restore to an earlier save.

xwarrior

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 04:53:57 AM »
Yes. It is just like just like mr benn said. If I can pass it I am sure you can.

There is some confusion over the Medical Certificate requirement in that there is a difference between:

1. A Medical Certificate before coming to China
I know many teachers, esp from the US, have paid mega-bucks to have a medical based on a form that can be downloaded from the internet. It has been just a waste of money, as they are still required to have a medical in China, and it was not needed when applying for a Zvisa.
Last year I was issued with a Zvisa in Hong Kong and there was no requirement to produce any health document.
While I think it is a classic China situation of having a regulation that has never been implemented times change everything in China so I think it would pay for applicants to check on the Zvisa requirements for the Chinese Embassy in your country of residence.
If needed (and I doubt it), an NHS Certificate is most probably low cost compared to all the tests required for the internet version.
I would be interested to find out from US and UK (and Aust/Can/NZ/Bermuda etc) teachers the medical requirements they had to meet before coming to China.

2. A Medical Certificate after arriving in China
This is mandatory and is actually required to get a Foreign Expert Certificate (so you can get a Residence Permit so you can actually work and live in China)

It is as described by Just Like Mr Benn. Costs about RMB380 - but your school should arrange and pay for the the whole thing. Your contract should spell out who has to pay.     

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 05:29:57 AM »
Thanks XW.
Just had a check. No mention of any health check when you actually apply for the Z visa, it seems to be needed to transfer your Z visa to an RP within 30 days of arriving.
This is all you need to apply for the Z.

Work Visa (Z-visa) is issued to a foreign citizen who is to take up a post or employment in China and his or her accompanying family members, or to give commercial performances in China.

i.Please provide the following documents:

(i) Original passport which has more than 6 months left before it expires from the date of application and sufficient blank visa pages (18 months and more left if intended stay in China is more than one year).

(ii) One completed Visa Application Form (Download) with a recently-taken passport photo. All the items on the application form should be fully filled in with genuine information; if the applicant has a Chinese name, the Chinese name should be filled in; false or incomplete information and illegible characters may lead to refusal of a visa.

(iii) Employment Approval Documents required:

(A) Foreigners who come to China to take up employment as experts, scholars, teachers, managerial personnel and as personnel working in related state or local organizations should provide:

1. Permit for Foreign Experts Working in China(original) issued by the State  Bureau of Foreign Experts (original);

2. An Invitation letter of Duly Authorized Unit or a Confirmation letter of Invitation (should be used within 6 months since its issuing date) issued by an authorized unit in China (original).

Thats it! No outside of China Health Check needed!....One less headache!  bfbfbfbfbf

"Liberty is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear" - George Orwell

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 05:41:40 AM »
It is as described by Just Like Mr Benn. Costs about RMB380 - but your school should arrange and pay for the the whole thing. Your contract should spell out who has to pay.

I had to pay for that crap.

Just a small note. For some reason lots of Chinese say you can't eat or drink alcohol or even drink water before the exam. The first time I took one the Chinese person who accompanied us sheep to the slaughter teachers to the exam told us on the train, after we'd had a few beers, that we couldn't drink anything else, including water. I was so dehydrated when they finally took my blood the following morning that I nearly passed out for the first time in my life.

I was told the same gibberish last time I had to take the test but since I went on my own drank as much water as I wanted. No problem. Oddly I still felt quite light headed after the blood extraction though, but not as bad.
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 04:00:59 AM »
A friend of mine discovered he had a heart murmur when he took the physical. It was printed right there on his little health book. It didn't affect his getting a residence permit though. I also had a health check done when I was about 5 months pregnant. I think they do check for quite a few things but the only stuff that will really screw up your residence permit application are communicable diseases or maybe problems that are immediately life threatening.

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 04:34:09 AM »
it is like anything China related. Everywhere you go different rules. So far from my own experience this is what I have found:

1. 8 years ago I came from Korea - there the consulate/embassy insisted that I have the health check before I came cost approx 400 dollars. But on arrival in Beijing, instead of a full medical all I needed was to pay 60 rmb for someone to read the medical report.

2. |Within Beijing when I moved from one school to another no medical required as I had already been cleared before.

3. When I moved to Wuhan (6 years ago), I had to get a medical again for my first residence permit but never had to get another one. Cost 550 rmb. Was told that as long as I was at the same school I would not need to get another one, but if I changed schools then I would need a new medical.

4. Once I arrived in Shanghai (this year), I had to get a new medical again at a cost of 700 rmb, but was informed that I would only have to get the one as long as I stayed in Shanghai for work.

Every province/embassy/consulate different interpretation of the rules. No wonder life here can be so confusing sometimes. llllllllll

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »
Just come back from the Embassy in Tel Aviv NO VISA- Why? I hear you all cry? very simple .Had all the forms filled out wonderfully and then the nice lady looked at my medical form so kindly filled out by my own GP at no cost but, tut tut, NO STAMP on the picture, only at the bottom of the second page next to her signature. Go back to the GP and come again tomorrow  llllllllll  llllllllll Embassy closes in one hour, my GP only opens her clinic in 3 hours! Bloody f@cking pain in the rectum.  aoaoaoaoao
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »
I am sorry to hear that, Piglet. Same thing kind of happened to be me in 2008...that's when I learned the lesson of the check-lis, forget one stamp or be one photo short and those VISA guys turn nasty...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 02:37:25 AM »
I concur with Wasted Youth...when applying for the UK you dont need a health check. The embassy dont want/need it for issuance of visa. Might be different in other countries of course.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 05:35:39 AM »
My wife and I got a Z visa in July, 2011 and a residence permit last week.  We needed a physical to file with the visa application and another physical in Nanjing for the permit.  We did the first physical in Yanji.  Luckily our family doctor is also my brothe-in-law so I get the family discount.  For the permit we went to foreigner health department and paid the 400 yuan.  We had blood drawn, no urinalisys, eye exam, x-ray, ekg, ultrasound, dental check, height & weight and lymph nodes checked.  It was all pretty much a cursory check and not anything excessive.  When the blood was drawn the girl tied the rubber band around my arm then I showed her the vein I always hab blood drawn from.  She was good, I didn't feel the stick at all.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 06:03:48 AM »
I did a healthcheck here in holland and was a bit worried because my test didn't look too healthy to me. at the visa office the guy put a big ring around the HIV thing so I'm guessing that it's just to screen for infectious diseases

there is another one in china apparently....

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »
Just to update...
I had my medical in Guilin a few weeks ago and am now fully RP'd up until September 2012.

Got a medical in the UK to get my letter of invite from the school = 150 GBP
School paid for the actual RP one.

The UK one was much more exhaustive than the China one.
All I had to do was take my shoes off and lift up my shirt.
Basically I was ushered to various rooms / booths.
1) Ultrasound on the old stomach - Why?...not sure at least I'm not pregnant!
2) Chest X-ray - TB?
3) Height (went off the scale as I'm 6'4") , weight, eye-sight (without specs, didn't   care if I put them on or not.), then the dreaded BP...He grunted..took it again...and shrugged, so no probs.
4) ECG - No worries
5) Blood test - HIV etc
6) Pee in a cup and leave it on a trolly.

DONE!
PS - You need to take your passport and two passport photos with you too.