Witnessing Violence

• 69 replies
Re: Witnessing Violence
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »
Last year in Beijing during the Olympics, the g/f and I saw a group of people encircling two men abuse another - not really beating. Now this was in the area where all the locals were trying to scalp tickets. They did an ocassional slap, punch, tug but it really wasn't like a thrashing. As I got closer, I noticed the man being beaten wasn't trying to escape nor felt as in peril as I would have been.

Then one guy really cocked his arm, said something and let the victim eat a knuckle sandwich. Before that, I started with the why doesn't someone do something as I tried to get nearer. The g/f told me to butt out. When the punch happened, I screamed why don't they call the police. When I tried to jump in, someone grabbed my shirt, stopped me and said, "they are the police and he's a scalper who ripped off a customer"

OK, arrest the dude, a public flogging is uncalled for. The g/f said this is quite common.

llllllllll
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 02:01:08 AM »
i just remembered i got myself beat up yesterday for telling a bunch of chinese people i hated china bibibibibi

the police even intervened, they were really sound about it, i apologised and they just told me to go for another beer  ahahahahah

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 03:14:24 AM »

Then one guy really cocked his arm, said something and let the victim eat a knuckle sandwich. Before that, I started with the why doesn't someone do something as I tried to get nearer. The g/f told me to butt out. When the punch happened, I screamed why don't they call the police. When I tried to jump in, someone grabbed my shirt, stopped me and said, "they are the police and he's a scalper who ripped off a customer"

OK, arrest the dude, a public flogging is uncalled for. The g/f said this is quite common.

llllllllll

I wasn't there, but my husband witnessed a thief who was caught by what was basically an angry mob. The police were called and the officer said "I'm just going to fill out some forms here, now don't go beating the guy, got that? No hitting the criminal!" and turned his back to the crowd while they proceeded to do just that.

Ruth

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
It would be interesting to know if the public beating/humiliation is more of a crime deterrent than the methods used in our home countries.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
It would be interesting to know if the public beating/humiliation is more of a crime deterrent than the methods used in our home countries.

I don't think so. If we take the example of Michael P Fay. American teenager, aged 16 in 1994, vandalised a car in Singapore by throwing red paint on it. He got caned despite the intervention of the American Embassy and President Clinton. The only concession from Singapore? He got 4 lashes instead of 6.

It is widely believed that he is now in jail in the US for other unrelated crimes. UPDATE: did some research the guy did some time in the states for theft and narcotic possession.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:39:54 PM by James the Brit »

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
I think most of the research (at home) also shows quite clearly that it isn't effective as a disciplinary measure, either for young people or offenders.  Those most subjected to it frequently become the criminals, and exhibit greater violent tendencies.  And of course it has been clearly shown that the greatest physical deterrent threat of all  - the death penalty - is completely ineffective in decreasing the number of offences it can be applied to. Physical humiliation in jail or internment camps in general hardens attitudes, particularly if it is perpetrated by those supposedly in charge.

The problem with any penalty is that most people don't think they will be caught, so IF they plan their crime, punishment one of the last things they think about.  ahahahahah

Generally a higher proportion of crimes are opportunistic, no planning, so again no thought of consequences.

Foscolo

• Boom boom!
    • ELTpublishing
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 08:16:33 AM »
On the beach in Dalian at low tide, quite a few people were out collecting various edible delicacies from (and possibly including) the slimy seaweed. A territorial dispute broke between a man and two women which quickly turned nasty, with the man grabbing both women by the hair and starting to rough them up. Everybody else just stood around gawking, and I was wondering whether my amazing Chinese vocabulary of about 20 words would be enough to intervene when the tables suddenly turned. The two women overpowered the man and gave him a sound thrashing. I walked away figuring he deserved it.
Free stuff for teaching English with jokes: ESLjokes.net.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
i had to talk to an english girl yesterday and her chinese husband had given her 2 black eyes. that was really difficult. what could i say? he already told her twice

AMonk

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 07:09:54 PM »
.....her 2 black eyes....he already told her twice

Personally, in this situation, I would favour The Madea Solution...."Cook you up a mess o'grits, and serve it up to him with a side of heavy skillet" afafafafaf
Moderation....in most things...

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »
i know what girls like
we know what boys want

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
One of the gate guards has a face full of scratches.  Straight down his nose, all down his cheek.  Someone with very sharp fingernails took to him.  I am dying to ask how he got them, but just not quite game enough.  Was it in the line of duty - preventing an unauthorised person from entering the uni? Was it his girlfriend?  A drunken blue?  Did he come on too heavy?

I'll probably never know .... mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm

Seth

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 07:59:57 AM »
China can be surprisingly violent.  After witnessing a few incidents at bars, I learned to stay away from them.  At one a guy was making a drunken scene, so the security guys dragged him into a room and proceeded to beat the crap out of him.  They left the door open, so I saw the whole thing.  Another bar had guys walking around in little army outfits with helmets.  Serious business, I guess! 

JShep

• The States - An Informative and Satirical Guide to the United States of America
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »
Was it in the line of duty - preventing an unauthorised person from entering the uni? Was it his girlfriend?  A drunken blue?  Did he come on too heavy?

Doubtful. More likely. Less likely. Most likely.

Or he could be a cat guy...

I kept a verile cat while in high school and there were a few times I woke up with an impressive example of the artist's work on my poor face. Cheecks usually. Violent indeed, despite never actually witnessing it.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 12:18:33 PM »
I'm sure your cat was totally innocent.  It was some other animal that broke in and attacked you.  The reason your cat was in the room looking all upset is that your cat had bravely driven the attacker off!  The blood on your cat's paws came from fighting the other animal and had absolutely nothing to do with the scratches on your face.

I have a similar situation at my house.  Crazed animals break in and cause all sorts of havoc.  Each time, my valiant cats drive them off before I get there to see what is going on with all the sounds of my stuff getting destroyed.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 06:01:09 PM »
He, he...sounds like my cat.  ahahahahah