Requests for City Info

• 65 replies
Re: Requests for City Info
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »
Ooohhh, so decent area, decent people then  agagagagag?
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
Ooohhh, so decent area, decent people then  agagagagag?

Well .......

Nevermind

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »
Knew somebody would come back with a comment like that  ahahahahah!

Dongguan??
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 12:16:20 AM »
Reposting...

Anyone know where Songshan Lake Road is in Dongguan? Looking at a job there (among other prospects, but they all seem to be terrible getting back to you!) and want to know where it is in relation to Dongguan city proper.

Thanks!

George

• My view of China
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:04 AM »
It's out of the City proper, on the way to Chang'an where ND used to live.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:38 AM »
So how far away? Is it easy to get into the city? If I happen to work here I would probably take weekend trips most weekends to Guangzhou or Shenzhen, just want to know if it's viable.

Thanks  bjbjbjbjbj!

George

• My view of China
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 01:50:07 AM »
I don't know details, but there seemed to be busses running around all the time. PM Ruth or Non Dave for better info.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »
I was waiting for Ruth to jump in here with chapter & verse as she works for said uni and lives on-site, but...

Dongguan is a biiiiiiig city - in terms of its land area. It includes 30-odd towns under the mantle of Dongguan City and stretches from the northern edge of Shenzhen to the southern end of Guangzhou. About a 2 hour drive on the highway, and very little undeveloped land in between. This is, after all, the manufacturing center of the world and there are wall to wall factories (some now empty!) as far as the eye can see.

The main "downtown" area is made up of the four suburbs of guancheng, nancheng, doncheng and wanjiang. This is where most of the shopping, restaurants and major government departments are found.

Songshan Lake is a newly developed district heading south of the main areas lsited above - about 15-20 kms I'm guessing. It contains the beautiful Songshan Lake with a brand new Hyat Hotel on the shore and surrounded by the university, a couple of schools and lots of new "high-tech" businesses. The major town of Dalingshan is abut 5 minutes away.

I takes between 30-60 minutes by local city bus to get there from downtown and about 50RMB by taxi.

It's a nice new area, but it is a bit away from the major retail/restaurant strips.There is a KFC there, however, so it can't be that bad!

Access to Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Guangzhou & Macau is all pretty easy and inexpensive. There's also the Dongguan towns of Dalingshan (electronics), Houjie (shoes & furniture) & Humen (best clothes shopping in the world) surrounding Songhan Lake.

I believe that particular university pays really well and doesn't have terrible workloads and if I was ever going back down south I would definitely be trying to get a gig there.

PM Ruth for more info...
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »
Ooohhhh, thankee very muchly ND! I am hoping this is a comfortable place to live, as I would like to stay put for a few years (provided the uni will keep me!). Wow, I had no idea Dongguan was THAT big! I am assuming it's pretty easy to buy Western food in the town, e.g. fresh ground coffee, pasta, bread etc? I admit I DO want to live in a more 'westernised' area, but with easy access to Guangzhou as I will go to church there, and perhaps look at becoming an IELTS examiner in the future, so commuting back and forth pretty much every week!

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 03:53:25 PM »
No probs, Becs. There's some great imported food shops in the downtown area and even the local supermarkets have a pretty good selection of western food. There's a huge foreigner population in this region, so we get well catered to - very different from the sticks, more like Beijing or Shanghai without the crowds.

But then there's the way people there speak. To paraphrase & translate from the Chinese: "I fear nothing on earth and nothing in heaven - except a Guangdong man speaking Putonghua!"

...and many of the foreigners will be Brazilian or Europeans and will definitely NOT be English teachers.

A good place for Dongguan info is www.heredg.com
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Ruth

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
Sorry - just now seeing this thread.  Non-Dave has done a great job of explaining the area to you.  Buses leave from Dongguan almost every hour for Guangzhou.  Getting back and forth is not a problem.  Takes about an hour, depending on traffic and where you are heading, of course.

Songshan Lake is developing rapidly since TPTB have decreed it so.  In the year that I've lived out here at the uni they've painted lines on the roads, installed street lights and covered bus stops (vs. flagging down a passing bus, which is still possible BTW) and increased the local bus service from two bus routes serving the campus to 4.  Reasonable shopping exists just minutes away in Dalingshan (complete with McD's and KFC) and for your western fixes there are any number of shops in Dongguan proper, about 45 minutes away by bus.

PM me for the scoop on teaching here, if you want more info.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »
Thanks very much for the info- I don't know the actual name of the school (yet) but do know it's on Songshan Lake Daxue Rd. I just don't want to be stuck in a continual rut living somewhere everyone 'says' is okay then find it's in the middle of whoop whoop and hard to get out!

paddyfields

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
Thanks very much for the info- I don't know the actual name of the school (yet) but do know it's on Songshan Lake Daxue Rd.

Could it be Dongguan University of Technology. (1 Daxue Rd., Songshan Lake, Dongguan City 523808 mmmmmmmmmm  ??

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:34:38 PM by paddyfields »

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »
Possibly, I really don't know at this stage...I will ask though once I hear more.

Mimi

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 07:13:09 AM »
I've gotten an offer from a school in Nanchang.  So, I'm basically calling out Eric to share his opinion of the place!  If anyone else has experience there, please feel free to share as well.