• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Best cities to live in China  (Read 6680 times)

Jimi02

• Barfly
Best cities to live in China
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone thinks are the best cities to work in China. I understand it's a large question, with many subjective aspects to it, nevertheless...

I'm thinking about trying a new city and I'd like something with a little more flair, a little more character than ZhengZhou. I'm not looking to go too small. I've given some thought to Shanghai because there are some interesting academic connections there for me. But this notwithstanding, is Shanghai a good place to live (fun place to visit, sure, like New York).

Thoughts/opinions welcome!

James

Lotus Eater

• Limboid
  • buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Best cities to live in China
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:21:13 AM »
Xi'an of course!  And close enough for you to visit your Zhengzhou friends for the weekend.

But I'm biased - Shanghai to me is pretty much like every other 'big' city in the world, so doesn't hold any real fascination for me.  It does have good bookshops.

dragonsaver

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »
I like Dalian.  It is on the coast so lots of sea food.  Not much pollution as we are in the Yellow Sea (a peninsula). 

Nice climate, lots of big stores if you want them. Walmart, IKEA, Metro, etc.

Good western food if you need it.

Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

George

• Barfly
    • My view of China
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 01:34:36 AM »
I shouldn't even need to post this. Everyone knows Jinan is the best place.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Escaped Lunatic

• Global Moderator
  • Finding new ways to conquer the world
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:15:27 AM »
Shenzhen-Dongguan-Guangzhou - Just like Hainan, but without all those sandy beaches.   bjbjbjbjbj
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!

Noodles

• Barfly
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 06:49:53 AM »
I have to say that right now I'm relaxing with a beer and smoke, sitting on my balcony with a mountain on one side of me and I'm gazing out at some fishing boats out on the sea, hong kong just about viewable across the sea. My little corner of China is pretty special.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Con ate dog

• Benevolent Despot Wearing a Stupid Paper Hat That Says "Trainee"
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »
I've only actually lived in Suzhou and a sleepy mining town, although I've spent leisure time in Dalian and Shanghai, so how would I know?  Perhaps Chingqing is underrated.  But I occasionally have the urge to dump all over my new home in public for fear that too many FT's will show up and start competing with me for jobs.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

ting

• Barfly
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »
Who knows?  But i can say that for me one place i would like to live for a year would be Hotan (HeTian) maybe 河天 in Xinjiang Prov.  Seemed a place with lots of clean, healthy living, close to nature, a river, lots of fruits and vegies, good weather, low human density and intersting people.  Probably a bit slow for most folks here, did i see a liquor store??  Can't remember.  But it would be nice to be away from the Han influence for a while and learn how others answer life's questions.  I really liked the colorful dresses and hair bonnets the ladies and girls wore; muslim folks you know.  The billions of Han all have the same answer, it seems.  As an aside, and an example of Han custom i do not like, yesterday at the pet street market i saw some wild birds caged and for sale.  Very unpleasant to see woodpeckers and rails in a cage.  How can they be pets?  Even the filthy river running through my town has a bankside full of fishermen. Will they eat those fish or birds or feed the cat?  'Nature' to many of the Han i have met seems a TV episode only. 

ChinaChao

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »
I shouldn't even need to post this. Everyone knows Jinan is the best place.

Were you being sarcastic? In all seriousness, some people seem to think that Jinan is not safe. Is this true and what do you recommend doing or going to (tourism/visiting-wise). Not necessarily living in Jinan. I'm 2 hours away from Jinan. I saw McDonalds. I went to the train station.  ahahahahah

ChinaChao

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
Oh yeah, my reply: NOT LIAOCHENG CITY.

It's not THAT bad; just boring. Simple... "Village type" as my moms called it.

Schnerby

• Barfly
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »
I have only visited the larger cities, but I liked Xi'an best. Beijing was fun, but a bit too far north for me.

I can see why you'd think Zhengzhou lacks character, in my opinion it's strength is a Dennis store with imports. Saying that shows the size of the city I live in!  ahahahahah

But IMHO, any city with a nightclub called 'Babybody' is problematic.

George

• Barfly
    • My view of China
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »
Were you being sarcastic? In all seriousness, some people seem to think that Jinan is not safe.
A trifle sarky, yes. I'm sure there are a few places slightly better. Jinan is pretty safe. The usual incidents, of course, but no more than any other place. I've never had any problems.
There are a few things to do, the usual temples, there's a bit of the Great Wall somewhere, the Yellow River runs past Jinan, famous City of Springs, bubbling up everywhere. Touristy stuff. Come for a visit.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

The Local Dialect

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 12:38:04 AM »
I lived in Kunming for close to 6 years and always said I'd never live anywhere else. Of course, here I am now in Beijing, but Kunming is still my favorite city in China.

It really depends what you're looking for though. Lots of people absolutely adore Beijing and the vibe couldn't be more different from Kunming.

ChinaChao

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
I need it "cleaner" and stuff to do... like exploring, wandering, shopping and a LIFE... This place definitely does not have that, but the people are nice, air is decent and the job is easy.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:07:35 AM by ChinaChao »

Lotus Eater

• Limboid
  • buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 02:49:54 PM »
CC - there is LIFE there - somewhere!  Make friends with the locals, especially those around your age, and the doors will open, hidden things will miraculously appear, places unheard of will become your favourite hangouts.  Hang in there.