1 phone? Two phones?

• 12 replies
1 phone? Two phones?
« on: August 10, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
So I have an iPod classic and a cell phone that has worked great for the USA, but now I am off to China. What the heck should I do? I hate clutter and would like to consolidate my electronic gadgets. Is there a way I can get down to one device or two and have the following options:
1. phone that works worldwide (do I switch sims, or what?)
2. Pleco Software
3. music
4. other stuff like pda capability.

Any help I can get would be appreciated Smiley

Also I am thinking of buying a mini projector to increase visual size for watching movies and stuph, anyone look into this before? What do you think?
Dewachen

Re: 1 phone? Two phones?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »
I had a Treo a few years back that did all of the above.  But it was a little on the big side, the camera was horrible, but it was a phone, was a pda, and played music.  Be sure to get the unlocked version so you can use the SIM card you get in China.

If it was me, I would go to the Pleco website, find out what OS they run on, and then decide what phone is best .......
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

BrandeX

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:49:58 AM »
bring the ipod, leave the US cell. Grab a cell while your here, if you want all in one, I'm using an HTC windows mobile cell/pda unit. it was 1700 rmb in GZ. converted to english OS, runs windows mobile programs, etc. Pleco on there yet? I'm not sure, I put Declan en-cn dict. on my phone, but I have pleco on my palm OS pda.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:05:01 AM »
1700? Hrmmm... any cheaper ones that will do basically the same things?
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »
bring the ipod, leave the US cell. Grab a cell while your here, if you want all in one, I'm using an HTC windows mobile cell/pda unit. it was 1700 rmb in GZ. converted to english OS, runs windows mobile programs, etc. Pleco on there yet? I'm not sure, I put Declan en-cn dict. on my phone, but I have pleco on my palm OS pda.

I like the idea. So you think I should wait on getting the phone hu? Can't I buy that phone here in the USA unlocked? And what does all this lock/ unlock mean anyway? How do I get a sim card in China? Do I just go to a store and get that to put in my phone? Whata re cell phone deals like in China?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really don't like the look of the HTC Windows mobile, mainly because I like MAC, but Pleco has not updated their software for the iPhone yet.
Dewachen

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
Can't I buy that phone here in the USA unlocked? And what does all this lock/ unlock mean anyway? How do I get a sim card in China? Do I just go to a store and get that to put in my phone?

Lock / Unlock is whether you can replace the SIM card or whether it is installed and un- accessible.  Most US phones are locked so you cannot change carriers easily.  All China phones are unlocked so you can swap out SIM cards easily (change phone numbers or carriers).  A SIM card is related to the carrier and a specific phone number.

You can buy SIM cards at a lot of places .... there are 2 basic systems .... a number that is assigned to you and the carrier withdraws the $ direct from your bank account .... and the other where you have to buy minutes .... buying minutes is easy, most small stores sell charge-cards that have a phone number to call and a code and it adds minutes to your SIM card.
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:50:26 PM »
1 phone? Two phones?

Red phones?  Blue phones?

axaxaxaxax
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »

So even though, one person suggested that I buy the phone in America, should I buy the phone in China since they offer more unlocked phones? I have heard that I should buy all my electronics outside of China. Also, with issues associated with copies of technology I wonder when should I buy, in China, In USA?

Also what options do I have with a phone to call outside the country (i.e. in China calling to/ receiving calls from the USA)? Are there recommended phones for this, programs, sims?

Also, everyone seems very knowledgeable about programs for en/ch dic use with PDAs opposed to e dic. Could you tell me some of the pda programs out there
Dewachen

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 05:43:47 AM »
If I bring an unlocked Blackberry Pearl (GSM) from the US does anyone know if this will work in China?
blblblblbl
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. - Jack Handey

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:59:56 AM »
If I bring an unlocked Blackberry Pearl (GSM) from the US does anyone know if this will work in China?

If you have an unlocked phone, you can test it buy purchasing a Chinese SIM and test it. So long as it was unlocked correctly (if you bought it new and unlocked it will work in China) it should work. Try the site below if you want to buy a SIM

http://www.cellularabroad.com/chinaSIMcard.php
Dewachen

old34

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 09:30:17 AM »

If you have an unlocked phone, you can test it buy purchasing a Chinese SIM and test it. So long as it was unlocked correctly (if you bought it new and unlocked it will work in China) it should work. Try the site below if you want to buy a SIM

http://www.cellularabroad.com/chinaSIMcard.php

USD$59 for that card! That's nuts! Thats a 200 RMB card at most (with 150RMB credit) here. And I note that it's a Shanghai card so unless you're in Shanghai, when you get here you'll be paying roaming wherever you live.

Your BB Pearl will work fine here. Save your money and get your card locally when you get settled here.

Your BB Pearl will work fine here. Save your money and get the card here.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
Thanks 34, I appreciate it.
blblblblbl

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »
Sorry I reread my message, But I meant the same as 34, buy a Chinese SIM card.

Dewachen