BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!Canadian YIER International English School in Zhengzhou, Henan

• 13 replies

cobra

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!Canadian YIER International English School in Zhengzhou, Henan  bqbqbqbqbq
They wanted me to come to their school and  to use a Tourist Visa to start working for them in order not to process Working visa...

Maybe or maybe not. 

I came to China on a tourist visa and received my working visa once I was here. 

Did they specifically say they wouldn't get you a working visa or did they just say to get you here faster come on a tourist which would be changed once you arrived?
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

cobra

They said that they had completed my Foreign Expert Certificate application , but didn't send  to me any documents. They just said, "Come with Tourist visa first, work for 2 month and than come back to your motherland for Z visa processing".
actually i don't belive any school, if they say like this.

No, they were wrong to ask that.  If they had said we will complete the paperwork after you get here then it should have been ok.  However with some of the new visa restrictions I would want the Z visa before I came.

You were right not to accept the contract.  Having you come and then have to return to your home country is a total waste of money - probably your money not theirs.  llllllllll

George

• My view of China
Forget them. They start out dodgy, they're not gunna get better!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

cobra

What city did you come on a tourist visa and change it into working visa?
I think that in most cities of China it's  still impossible to turn L visa into Z visa.
I know that in Beijing , they do it, but for a lot of money.

It was 4 years ago in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province.  The school did it for all the teachers.  I believe it may be still possible to do in some provinces.

Visa rules have changed since I arrived, but I heard another teacher mention his school could still do it.   It depends on the school and province.  However, I think you should expect a Z visa before you come as this prevents any problems or dodgy schools.

Definitely better to not come on anything other than the Z visa.  If they can get the Z visa after you arrive ... then there is no reason why they can't get it before you arrive.  Reading the first post made me think they were just trying to get someone to work for them for a couple of months without the correct visa ...
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

What city did you come on a tourist visa and change it into working visa?
I think that in most cities of China it's  still impossible to turn L visa into Z visa.
I know that in Beijing , they do it, but for a lot of money.

I've done it in Kunming, and was told it was possible to switch my current spouse (L) visa to work visa without leaving the country here in Beijing.

It depends a lot on the school and the province. Very little is actually impossible in China if the school is well connected enough. But you're right, it is not really safe to bank on a school being able to convert in country for you.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
I also came on a tourist visa and had it converted but that was 6 years ago and it was quite common then. Not so now.

What reason could they have for delaying the paperwork for you for 2 months. Perhaps they are not accredited to hire foreigners but expect to be so in a couple of months. Doesn't matter though, they are asking you to work illegally. I would ask them why just so I could find out what excuse they give. I give them credit for telling you though, some schools wouldn't even do that.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
They said that they had completed my Foreign Expert Certificate application , but didn't send  to me any documents. They just said, "Come with Tourist visa first, work for 2 month and than come back to your motherland for Z visa processing".
actually i don't belive any school, if they say like this.

Wow. Uh, yeah, this is weasel behavior. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Never come on anything but a z visa. Some schools will delay, lie and manipulate you into working month after month illegally, the whole time promising that elusive z visa is right around the corner. You have no rights or recourse on the L visa. You cannot work legally on a tourist visa and anyone telling you otherwise is shady at best. Don't fly half way around the world and open yourself up to be exploited!

gonzo

My two lengthy university assignments both started with an L visa. First time i was with an NGO who handled it all. Second time, the Z visa was sent to me.........by regular mail by a dunce in the FAO, and hadn't arrived when I was due to leave. Having taken 2 years off work, rented out my house and put my stuff into storage I was kind of committed. I rang and they promised to sort it out in situ, which they did.
However, I'd echo the solid advice on visas. I was dealing with reputable universities, if that isn't an oxymoron. Some outfit that gives itself pretentious handles like "international", and throws in an English speaking country like Canada for good measure has to be dodgy.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

However, I'd echo the solid advice on visas. I was dealing with reputable universities, if that isn't an oxymoron.

True dat

Some outfit that gives itself pretentious handles like "international", and throws in an English speaking country like Canada for good measure has to be dodgy.

True dat too (especially the "Canada" part)

Red flags are there for a purpose. It means "on your mark, get set, RUN like a scared deer!"
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion