'OZ' speakers: what's the meaning?

• 58 replies

ting

'OZ' speakers: what's the meaning?
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »
'Smack Your Wagging Kid Or Get A Fine'

That's what i read on some news headline, from aussie news.  I can understand the violence threat, 'smack' but what is 'wagging'?  is it like 'wanking'?  and this activity is probably in public, otherwise who cares and no fine (monetary penalty).  So, please,  all the OZZY people here, help me out.

George

• My view of China
Re: 'OZ' speakers: what's the meaning?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Didn't see the headline, so I'm guessing it's about kids "wagging" school for the day. That is, "playing hookey"
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Yes, skipping school to go elsewhere...happens a lot down under!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:39 PM »
Yep, one of the few Aussie expressions that kids still know, along with BLUDGE and DOB.
Otherwise it's burgers, fries, REpeat, DEfence, REsearch........
Cocacolanisation is all but complete, as first George's generation, then mine, shuffle off this mortal coil.

EG One of my Brazilian delights akakakakak asked me today "What is faggot mean?"
Rather than correcting her grammar, or telling her it was a bundle of sticks to make a fire, or even indeed a kind of sausage, I told her that unfortunately, it meant "homosexual".
"Ha," she huskily snorted at her fellow Brazilian. "You are the faggot".
Then I told her it really only applied to males.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Schnerby

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »
Wagging, a time honoured tradition  bfbfbfbfbf

gonzo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:44:46 PM »
Wagging, a time honoured tradition  bfbfbfbfbf
For a scholarly study of some Aussie Hua, click

http://www.als.asn.au/proceedings/als2003/stollznow.pdf:

We don't claim "wanker" as our own. Northern Hemisphere types have been doing this for eons.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
Good choice, Gonzo...that article is written by Karen Stillnowz, a teacher at the uni I'm doing my MA (UNE). Knows her stuff, too  bfbfbfbfbf
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:58:41 AM »
It's very simple. Mischievous Australian children like to have themselves hoisted from flagpoles, where they wag merrily in the breeze for hours on end. When caught, parents are expected to smack the errant children with didgeridoos. Failure to do so can evoke legal penalties, such as a monetary fine, or being forced to actually eat Vegemite (which they don't normally really eat but claim they do so other countries will think they're insane and leave them alone), or of course the time-honored and much-beloved Boot To The Bum.

We don't claim "wanker" as our own. Northern Hemisphere types have been doing this for eons.

Interesting. I wonder how the term became so closely associated with Australians? uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »
Interesting. I wonder how the term became so closely associated with Australians?
Because we talk about USAnians a lot!!

Schnerby

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
Hey, my Chinese students actually like Vegemite!  bfbfbfbfbf

I was surprised, but I am convinced it is genuine.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »
Vegemite is a 50/50 thing with the Chinese people I've given it to.  Some ask me for jars, others go 'ugh'.  I have gradually converted a very astute, clever USAnian to vegemite, but it wasn't nearly s easy as converting him (or anyone else!) to TimTams as the BEST chocolate biscuit in the world - NO exception! ahahahahah ahahahahah

Schnerby

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 03:54:44 AM »
Well, of course!

old34

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 05:46:04 AM »
TimTams as the BEST chocolate biscuit in the world - NO exception! ahahahahah ahahahahah

Absolutely!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:56:41 AM »
Interesting. I wonder how the term became so closely associated with Australians?
Because we talk about USAnians a lot!!

Yes, I'm sure you do, which leads of course to its own lines of conjecture...but you don't normally do it where we can hear you...so this doesn't really explain the correlation. yyyyyyyyyy

Hey, my Chinese students actually like Vegemite!

Yes, but they also like stinky tofu, duck lungs, bitter melon, baijiu, and all manner of other non-comestibles. No points here.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

George

• My view of China
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
but you don't normally do it where we can hear you...
Of course! We are sensitive folks. We don't want to hurt your delicate feelings.