Drinking in China

• 26 replies

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
Re: Drinking in China
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 10:40:26 PM »
He did promise to help me move my bed to another room so I hope he still drops by.

Be careful of what you wish for: it might come true!

Depending on their size, it might be easier to move the bed on your own than to revive a passed out colleague! agagagagag
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 11:25:40 PM »
3 out of 4 foreigners at your school don't drink?  kkkkkkkkkk

Schnerby

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
It's a double bed but it moves in two halves. He hasn't returned so I guess he is asleep. I will go fetch someone else to help.

There are other FTs here, but I haven't met them yet.

I also east VERY little meat and there are vegans here. Imagine, a meat and booze free meal! My idea of heaven, most will disagree.

can”ttypemore〉
chinesecharacters are stuck on

EDIT: Will continue where I left off.
There was no pressure put on anyone to drink who didn't want to. The other FTs said this may not always be the case, particularly for men or on special holidays.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 01:58:11 AM by Schnerby »

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 02:56:36 AM »
I just went to a baijiu fuelled lunch>>
one poor FT (new here as well) who did hit the booze got hit hard>>
He did promise to help me move my bed to another room so I hope he still drops by.

Hmmm... 
 afafafafaf

can”ttypemore〉
chinesecharachter are stuck on

seems he may have shown up after all...
 bhbhbhbhbh

bfbfbfbfbf
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Schnerby

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »
Yes he did show up.
Helped me move the furniture and left.

Sorry, I know you would have preferred a scandal.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:03 PM »
A gentleman. Nice to have one around, even if he did fall for the oldest Chinese trick in the book!

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
Sorry, I know you would have preferred a scandal.

Nope. Just a funny story.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Schnerby

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »
A gentleman. Nice to have one around, even if he did fall for the oldest Chinese trick in the book!

Hey, we moved a cupboard too! That's no scandal...

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 11:12:09 PM »

Hey, we moved a cupboard too!

Is that what you call it?  afafafafaf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 11:51:14 PM »
Went to an annual company conference a few years ago. Management told me I was to mentor a junior software developer for the duration of a project, and he was a BIG Maori (Native New Zealand/Samoa).

Anyway, we all finished the lavish Company buffet and Moulin Rouge song and dance gig at the Sheraton, in Perth - Western Australia. Suitably boozed up, I decided to return to the 5 star for a nice deep relaxing bath.

No Prince Poata Akarana. He's out, playing. A 6 foot 4,25 y.o. 120 kg Maori (after he'd lost some weight) is someone you have to be "nice" with !

Anyway, Po comes back at 4 am, staggering and slurring,slams the door, mumbles, collapses on his bed fully clothed (shared room) and starts sleeping and snoring.

Sigh. I get up. Take off his shoes, roll him over, take off his jacket and tie, undo the top button on his shirt and pull a blanket over him, lift his head and slide the pillow under, coma position turning a big Maori. Then I'm back to bed.

Next day, 1 pm his mobile phone is ringing in his jacket - in the wardrobe. I pull the phone out and answer. It's his wife. Where's Poata ? Who are you ? "I'm Zak, I work with him". Oh, OK, he told me about you.

I explain what happened, and we have to check out before 1 pm or charges apply. Groan. Get dressed and go down to reception, explain the matter and ask for a checkout extension without charges. No problem, give you until 3 pm.

An hour later, 2 very large Samoans (cousins) knock on the door. Open up. Hi ! greeting from both the mobile Easter Island statues. Po - Get up, get your sh*t together, we're taking you home.

I gather my stuff, put it in the suitcase, close the door and join the statues dragging Poata into the lift.

Hang on boys, we have to check out of the hotel. I front the reception girlie and sign out with Larry, Moe and Curly staggering, supported by statues behind me.

Whew, what a night/day.

Never drink with a Maori. They are usually quite benign but don't provoke them !

I wonder if you've had this kind of experience in China ?

Zak

Schnerby

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 12:34:14 AM »
Thank you for bringing this back on topic, Zak!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »
Thank you for bringing this back on topic, Zak!

That's right!!!

So Schnerbs,

Ever have a Maori move your cupboards?