China, the REAL reasons

• 91 replies
Re: China, the REAL reasons
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 02:14:25 AM »
1. Spent a year here before and got addicted to China
2. Worked at an office job and did not want to actually end up strangling myself with my tie.
3. Wanted to learn Chinese.
4. Denmark is too effing small to spend your whole life in.
5. The nicest, friendliest people I have ever met, both Chinese and ex-pats, have been in China.
6. Chinese girls.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 03:26:53 AM »
# 1) Chinese females

# 2 >>> through >>?>>)
.............. with Chinese females.

bfbfbfbfbf
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 04:36:58 AM »
I'm so excited about the prospect of China...Maybe I'll travel around before getting into a job, but all I know is, I'm getting out of here to see a completely new way of life, and maybe start learning things that really do interest me!

Sounds like you qualify for reason #1 or #2 from the first post in the thread.   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »
 I actually have no idea why I came here. It was my ex gf's idea. Now she is gone and I am still here. But I know what is keeping me here.

1.I love my job. I get paid to talk to people for a living.
2.The lifestyle. I had 4 months off (half of it paid), worked for less than 3 months, and now am once again on a six week paid holiday.
3.Money making oppurtunities. In addition to my uni gig, I have 3 private students paying 150 an hour, have done some freelance writing, voice acting and edited two ESL text books.
4.Food. I haven't cooked a meal at home in over a year. Not only is Chinese food great, but the access to delicious Japanese, Indian, Korean, Mexican, Itallian and Thai food is far superior to most Canadian cities.(although this is mostly a Beijing thing, not a China thing).
5.OK, I gotta admit it. The girls. There I times when I think I must be dreaming...
6.All the good friends I have made here. When I finally leave, I will miss many of them more than I did friends I left back in Canada

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 02:21:08 AM »
I forgot a huge one: the emerging middle class.

The 35-and-under crowd here in Suzhou sport open minds and new ideas.  The bars are full- I don't mix with Sinos there much, myself- but so are the coffeehouses.  These folks are educated, moneyed enough to get out on the weekends, and some are supercool.  It's great to see a massive cultural movement in its infancy.

This generation will change China forever, and I love watching and in my small way contributing.  Actually, the laowai community form a fascinating culture in themselves.  The subculture of Sino-laowai scene is a third group unto itself.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 03:43:55 AM »
Honestly, I'm still not entirely sure why I came here.

Some reasons that may or may not have been jokes when considering my move to China:

1. I'm sort of an economic communist and Americans aren't allowed to travel to Cuba or North Korea. I was misled about China being communist.

2. Similar to the original #4, China holds a massive amount of American debt. I figured I'd get paid by the source of my country's money.

3. I heard fortune cookies were more accurate in China. Again, I was misled.

4. I'm from New Jersey...China couldn't possibly be THAT polluted. *cough* *cough*

5. Shits and giggles.
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 04:17:29 AM »
Ok ok. I am on a special assignment here from good ole KGB.  uuuuuuuuuu

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 12:08:10 AM »
And for my 3000th post, I'm bumping up my 1000th post thread. agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

Paul

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 03:33:49 AM »
As well as the usual reasons (for a guy, I mean), I came here to do business.

I'd heard how easy it was to make a stack of cash.  But I ran into a few problems along the way.

First, the Chinese banking system.  I met some really useful contacts online here and made, with their help, some fantastic investments in upcoming businesses abroad. I earned a fortune, ploughed it all back and earned an even bigger fortune, but for some strange reason my bank says it hasn't received the money from the Nigerian bank that deals with all these investments.  Every time I call my Nigerian partners they say they will solve the problem, but it's expensive for them to do this and I always have to send even more cash to solve the local problems over there.  Not to worry, I know it'll all get sorted out eventually.  I'm a glass-half-full person. But these bloody Chinese banks.....

Second, my B-plan, money-making scheme involved buying cheap Chinese pharmaceutical products and exporting them back home.  They are so cheap, really, I can't understand how they can produce this stuff at such a low price!
Now, the docks here are somewhat chaotic, and some kind of mishap took place.  It seems my customers got the wrong products, and I'm now facing litigation in every EU country simply because a few people got sick after taking the stuff I sent them!  How unfair is that?!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'd also heard that I could get certain, er, useful manly products here with ingredients like tigers' bits and pieces.  Now this is actually true.  I'm convinced they are working.  Every morning I wake up with some memory loss due to baijiu, but my dear wife always says to me, "Last night you just went on and on. You couldn't stop.  You always do this too much." Then she flings an empty bottle at me, which I imagine is some Chinese cultural gesture, a way of expressing admiration.

Oh yes, I almost forgot - I'm asking this on behalf of a friend: are there any Brits here who can advise me him whether it's true that the police back home stop looking for you after 6 years of skipping bail?

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 04:41:47 AM »
Paul I think you are a REALLY naughty boy. Just say that to the nice officer and he will let you off with a caution  afafafafaf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Paul

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 04:53:39 AM »
Hey Piglet,  I'm a big AA Milne fan.  Are you that piglet from my youth?

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »
I certainly am,Paul.
P has been my alter ego for about 40 years or so  ababababab
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »
I couldn't find a job in the UK where I work 14 hours a week and can live like a king.

I spend more time in bars and bed than in the classroom.

Oh and where else can you use this line "Hey mum  I have a girlfriend! Her name? erm..... Tomato"

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »
Tomato?  WTF are you doing with my fiancee!?!?!?  asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas

Hey Paul, I know a good lawyer who can sort out those Nigerian and Chinese banking issues.  Just send me some cash and I'll get him on the case. ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
Tomato?  WTF are you doing with my fiancee!?!?!?  asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas

aoaoaoaoao

Maybe Tomato is a more common name than I first suspected. Still I met someone the other day whose name was "Pee" I suggested she change the spelling but I dont think she understood why.

Mime has limitations!