It used to be there was a canopy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:46:35 AM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

George

• My view of China
Re: Tretardation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
It used to be there was a canopy.
And there will be again.....in a couple of years. Happens all over China.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
Yep, I know.  And it's ugly all over China too.

And compared to what it was, it's appallingly ugly.  That one tree you see left in the second photo--that's a little tree.

The road was clear, the overhang was managed, trucks and buses routinely took that road to the factory at the other end, and the trees reached up to the roof tops.  Some retard gave up whatever management program they'd had in place already for what I can't imagine would be less than a decade and cut them all down instead.

Top picture, the building in the background--that's new construction replacing a crappy 2 story building recently torn down.  Guess who probably arranged what for the trees.

Actually, by way of sort-of-contrast, here's a crappy photo from last winter--the building dominates because I was trying to record the slow decay of that gigantic icicle, but you can see some of the street on the left:

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »
There's a schedule somewhere. When the schedule says it's time to prune the trees, it's time to prune the trees!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »

It's still retarded.

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:21:21 AM »
Speaking of retarded. Why the hell do they paint the bottom 3 - 4 feet of trees that industrial grey color?

George

• My view of China
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:34:54 AM »
Keeps the bugs away!

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 03:48:25 AM »
Really? People here could never give me a straight answer. I thought the paint glowed in the dark and made a good target for peeing and puking after too much baijiu.  :alcoholic: agagagagag

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 04:08:50 AM »
Stops the ants and borers.

Riz

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:36:01 AM »
Condomized trees!
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Short and funny quotes, Winston Churchill.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
A year or two ago, in Kunming, much to our dismay, they uprooted all of the beautiful, full, living trees that lined the streets in near the universities. We figured they were going to widen the roads, or perhaps re-pave the sidewalks, but no, instead they simply replanted new, smaller, scrawnier trees, in the exact same spots the old trees had been. Tretardation indeed!

Monkey King

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »
My Uni also has a tendency to viciously trim the campus tress, or even uproot them and replace them with smaller ones. 

We also have (had) a lush verdant lawn in the centre of campus, and one summer they ripped up the whole thing and re-turfed it for no apparant reason.

I think if things look a little wild (which I think looks better) someone would get accused of not doing their job...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:02:52 PM by MK »