Recruiter Questions

• 18 replies

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
Re: Recruiter Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 03:17:13 AM »
since we are talking about recruiters. Many years ago( ok about 2.5) when I was thinking of coming to China I found an advertisement for The China Teaching Network who's lead guy it seems is a man named Chris Lester. We did the song and dance and said my school was excited to know I was coming but he would never tell me which school it was or where it was.  aoaoaoaoao
I ain't the smartest pinguo in the tree but that never sat right with me and still doesn't. After talking with other FTs in Harbin and reading posts here I am sure it was a good call to blow them off. Has anyone here heard of or dealt with them?

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 05:14:04 AM »

The saloon's take on recruiters is pretty one sided as you can see/read!  Avoid recruiters at all cost!!!

However, and this has been my stance all along, I wouldn't put them all in the same basket.. some are pretty darn evil, and calling some of them "scum of the earth" might be an insult to the scum of the earth... but there are a few decent ones out there and I stand by my statement... I've seen it with my own eyes and I can testify that once every blue moon, there can be some good things that come out of recruiters....

Actually, now that i think about it again, forget recruiters as they are crap! That word has too much stigma attached to it by now! Let's call them headhunters if you will. By that I am referring to those outfits who are actually licensed to do what they do, have a proper office, a procedure and support staff. Those folks have made a business investment and it's usually not in their interest to screw anyone because it'll come back to haunt them.

The ones you oughta worry about are the fly-by-night smooth operators that are based out of their living room or bedroom computer, searching for a quick and easy buck... those are the ones that oughta be flogged publicly.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 09:52:56 AM »
he would never tell me which school it was or where it was.

The recruiters fear you'll go directly to the school and bypass them.
It also ties them down to delivering a specific school. Recruiters, I'm afraid, have been known to promise a school near the beach in Hainan...and then deliver you unto frigid, waterless Inner Mongolia. aaaaaaaaaa aoaoaoaoao

I've seen posts on CTN here and there on other forums. Few comments were good... oooooooooo

I am referring to those outfits who are actually licensed to do what they do, have a proper office, a procedure and support staff. Those folks have made a business investment and it's usually not in their interest to screw anyone because it'll come back to haunt them.

I wish I could agree that this was a good guide. It might help a little, but it doesn't always hold true. The notorious Frank Zhang (the most infamous weasel in China TEFL) has a nice office and a support staff...
And, remember...recruiters work for the schools, NOT for us. The schools just want a steady supply of foreign monkey-meat in front of their classes; they don't really care how many people get screwed over in the process. As long as a recruiter can produce enough chumps, their business will do just fine.
And, sadly, to paraphrase P.T. Barnum, "There's a foreign English teacher born every minute." Too many people still plunge into this uninformed and unwary... bibibibibi

Recruiters are a parasite upon our industry. Stay away from them until they are eradicated.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Schnerby

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
Recruiters ought to be stood up outside a primary school lavatory yard and made to clean them every recess. With their heads. Especially the foreigners who have crossed to the other side. Then be buggered with the toilet brush and then flushed then to a heavily unemployed suburb, say Western suburbs, Melbourne and there to be given jobs as lollipop people on the Tullamarine Freeway before working their way downward to Dante's 10th hell. Recruiters of academic flesh. There may they walk through the paddocks of stinking effluence disgorged by their former masters.

Unneccessary. Living in Melbourne's west is not a disease and I am a tad sick of hearing that it is. I know it was not your intention to offend, but please don't say things like this without thinking.

Back on topic...
When I found my job I waded through plenty of other offers, all without using a recruiter. It is work you can do yourself with little trouble and with experience you should have no issues.