Re: Camera Buying
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 06:25:57 PM »
Pretty fly little camera, Lono.

keinnon

• i/u
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »
A great site to check for camera info is: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

A good time to buy cameras is around April, just after the big industry show in Las Vegas, when all the new models come out and last year's drop in price.

Check what software comes with your camera too.  Sometimes you'll get Adobe Elements, which in itself is a good program - but then if you want you can upgrade to PhotoShop and basically pay the difference.

Make sure to check on your camera/computer compatibility: you don't want a new camera that won't interact with your old computer.

And be prepared to fall in love with photography all over again! Digital cameras have made such a difference in the photo world.
The love of truth lies at the root of much humor.
Robertson Davies

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »
As this is a thread about buying a camera, might I ask a question: my camera is broken. Three years it worked, pirated junk from Nanchang. Completely dead I need to buy a new one. Not really too concerned about the make, more the price. Lin'an is, I am told, rather expensive. Where do I go to buy a good camera in Hangzhou without being left with wu fen for the rest of the month?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 12:41:25 AM »
I know you said it's completely broken but is it truly dead. Have you tried to get it fixed. I know you have been here before Morty but sometimes we forget that what we would throw away at home you get fixed here. Low costs of labour.

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »
It already broke once in Nanchang and then it got fixed, or temporarily fixed. It's completely unresponsive, doesn't even recharge when I put it in the charger.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »
Got film??
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:40 AM »
I don't know about hangzhou for buying - those people can tell you more. BUT.. consider the internet as well as a source.  I have bought mobiles, lens and other stuff via the internet at LOW prices and they have been pretty good.

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 04:53:47 AM »
Got film??

No and no magnesium powder either....it's digital...

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »
The biggest camera trade show is Photokina, every two years in Frankfurt. It is running now; various companies are announcing new models. Look for those to turn up on the shop shelves over the next few months, or look for discounts on the older models.

dpreview.com, photo.net and other sites have details, or just search for photokina
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

chinalin

• The Great wall in winter.
    • Lin's China Travels
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 04:39:08 AM »
I have looked at the prices of cameras here in Guangdong Province, and they are more expensive, for good ones, than home in Australia.  But, my option, has been to buy, on Ebay from a dealer in Hong Kong, who ships anywhere in the world, and comes out with much better deals than either here on the mainland, or at home.
The camera I have at the moment is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3.  It is a fantastic little machine, with 10x optical zoom....good for those shots of faces too good to miss, but impossible, or too rude, go get up close to.
Previously I had a Canon.  That was a great camera with 12x zoom, but I found it too bulky and heavy for my liking, but when I bought it, you had to go bulky to get a decent zoom.  Things have changed, and my son in Australia bought it off me, and I am really happy with my much more compact model, with almost the same zoom.
If anyone would like me to dig out the name of the dealer through Hong Kong, I would be happy to do so, as both of my last two cameras have been bought from him.  He has a rating on Ebay of something like 99.8% positive.
Hope this is of use to someone.  Lin.

joe

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »
For travelling, I would have (until yesterday) recommended the Sony Cybershot series. I say until yesterday, as the lens of my Cybershot DSC-T20 vibrates, the whole camera shakes, and basically won't take a photo. I bought this on Hong Kong when they first came out, just over a year ago. After looking it up on the net, turns out there was a product recall on the very same model, with the very same problem. Unfortunately, Sony are only acknowledging select serial numbers, and guess who has a different serial number?

Though they take a relatively crisp image, (see my Hong Kong photo's) this doesn't last long. To make matters worse, it's not just this model; it seems all the cybershots have had their problems, right the way through the range...in short, steer clear.

Just thought I'd throw something in about DSLR's, in case anyone was looking into getting one. Though I'd outline the very basics, cos I was very confused when first getting into the world of DSLR's! There's loads to consider, and lots of hidden costs. Also so much to read you end up going in circles.

I'd say that my Canon 400D is a very decent camera - The one thing that surprised was that it's actually pretty small!

Although DSLR Canon bodies are pricey, it is ALL about the lens. I can take shit photos on my £400 camera by just sticking a rubbish lens on it, and equally, you could take an amazing shot with a £2,500 lens.

Turns out loads of people were raving about the new 'kit' lens that comes bundled with most Canons now - as opposed to the shitty plastic ones they used to put on them. I think its called the 18-55 IS lens? Mixed reviews from what I've read, but I love it, takes a lovely sharp image.

One of the best lenses ever is called the 'nifty 50' - the f.1.8 50mm canon lens - mine cost about £50 and it is amazing, especially in low light..so it is possible to do well on the cheap...

Coming into DSLRs new, I'd definitely go with the 400D, and spend some extra cash on guaranteed sweet lens or two. Without going into how lenses operate, its hard to tell you much about lenses...

In short, the 'faster' a lens, the lower the F number, which means the 'less' light it needs to take good shots. EG f4.5 compared to f1.8 - the 1.8 can take decent shots in relative dark compared to the 4.5.
Sometimes this can make ENORMOUS price differences. The same 'zoom' lens, the 50mm, is about £60 at f.18, and about £400 at f.1.0!!

Landscapes - you need wide angle to get as much in - ie lowest zoom mm numbers - the kit lens is pretty wide at 18-55 (but remember its x1.6=28mm - normal human vision is kinda 35mm). That'd do you.

Batteries and memory cards obviously to budget for.
Canon's own battery is £60. Balls to that - I got two 'non brand' canon copies for £12 and can't tell the difference when it comes to holding charge.

Memory coming down massively. I went for several lower GB cards rather than one giant one in case of catastrophic failure and losing all photos off one card.

Unless you're prepared to pay silly money, a 'full frame' sensor camera is out of the question - you'll be getting a crop frame (mine is also crop), which means the sensor multiplies the image by 1.6 - so a 100mm lens actually zooms in at 160mm. Good for long distance, bad for wideangle - my wideangle lens on my film camera is amazing, but less wide on my digital camera, takes in way less, almost looks normal.

In short - 400D with kit lens, plus maybe a 50mm 1.8 for £60 would be pretty damn good. for under £400.

Huge review there, sorry...just got started and didn't know where to finish!

fox

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »
i suppose it all comes down to what kind of shots you want to take and what ur budget is.

I have a canon ixus which is almost 3 years old and been a joy to use, but yesterday i treated myself to one of those nikon d90s with a 18-200 lens, wow this thing rocks and will keep me busy for a long time. For travelling its obviously heavier than the ixus but then i will have a lot more fun with it.

i priced them up in hk and taobao and ended up getting one in a local store for much the same as i would have paid online. the plus is that its a local shop that will sort stuff for me during the years guarantee period, and hes a very nice guy - into his photography and invited me on a local city shoot with him some time.

regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
Help? I plan to buy a decent digital camera before I return home. What should I be looking for? I've tried searching the net but now I want advice from some 'real' people.

I want a camera that will zoom in and out, will be able to take pictures of people moving, will be able to take pictures of sun-rises and of dusk - a camera that can take good pictures.

What are people's favourite cameras? Which brands are safe to buy in China?

Whatever you get, make sure that you won't need an interpreter to operate it. Failing that, go to your local department store, check out what feels right for you, then go home to see if the instructions and owner's manual are downloadable. (Almost of the major camera makers' cameras make their owner's manuals available. The trick is in finding them.

I don't use point-and shoot cameras because they don't always allow the operator full control of the camera. (Yeah, I lug a DSLR). After you buy your camera, invest in a cheap aluminum tripod so that you can catch the low-light scenes. The tripod defeats the convenience of owning a point-and-shoot, but unfortunately, that's probably the only way you'll be able to catch those sunrises, unless you're smart enough to figure out how a P&S works.

I'm not. llllllllll
I count my blessings when I consider the plight of the boneless chicken.

ting

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
i can strongly second the opinion that the Caplio by Ricoh is excellent value, takes great pix, has super fast action, easy controls and for me, best of all, gets within 1cm of the insects and spiders i like to 'shoot'.  i bought mine in usa, on sale, about $230 with 2G memory card.  this is not my first Ricoh Caplio, the first one was stolen in Vietnam.  Ricoh spends much less on advertising compared to the 'big names' and you pay for those ads but get no better quality, imho.  try for the Caplio R7.  one year old but who needs the newest fashion?

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »
At B&H camera in the U.S. you can buy a 12 mp Olympus for USD$150.00 plus shipping.
I count my blessings when I consider the plight of the boneless chicken.