The Bar Room > The Bar (ON-TOPIC)

The rules for living in China

(1/2) > >>

Lotus Eater:
Yesterday we had the 'chat' from the PSB re rules and regs of living in China.  Check your contracts - they will probably state somewhere that the institution has the responsibility to make sure you know them.  However this is the 1st time in 4 years that this uni has done it.  Previous one did it every semester.

There is really nothing that we don't already know, but the presentation was funny and some of the questions afterwards were funny.  2 non-English speaking PSB officers rocked up to a room full of foreigners - 11 Vietnamese, a couple of Africans, 10-11 Pakistanis - all foreign students, and 6 FTs.  The FAO provided a translator.

We basically went through visa stuff and registration of temporary accommodation first - when travelling register with the PSB in a city within 24 hours, in rural areas within 72 hours.  When staying with Chinese friends register with the nearest PSB.  This was the most interesting given that we believe the trigger for the whole thing was the visit by a Chinese friend to one of the FTs.  If we are permitted to stay with Chinese friends - then clearly Chinese friends would be permitted to stay with us!!

Then there was the normal stuff about 'no religious promotion' - and I thought the terms they put it in were interesting.  They acknowledged that at times teachers would need to introduce some beliefs to students in a classroom context, but they were clear that these were to be strictly in the role of 'things other people believe' and NOT to be expanded on as a good thing.  So the views seem to have shifted from 'no proselytising' ie actively recruiting, to a broader 'no promotion of belief systems'.  If that one is ever regulated those who come here and claim NOT to be recruiting, but merely telling people about their beliefs, or giving religion based answers when asked about their way of living could be in trouble.

Then we came to alcohol and drugs.  Anything we do under the influence will be totally our responsibility and we will have to pay full costs of any damage we may have done.  So they very clearly 'recommend no drunk".  ahahahahah ahahahahah  They gave the story of an Irish teacher here who was drunk and taken to the station where he proceeded to tear the place apart - doors, windows etc and when he sobered up had to pay for the reconstruction of the place.   ahahahahah  I'll bet the damage bill was way more than would be normally expected!

China is not a Muslim country, so people are allowed to drink.  Muslims are allowed to drink here (the Pakistanis fell about laughing!), but if they choose not to drink, then they will be respected.  bfbfbfbfbf

Driving - driving is NOT recommended in China - too dangerous.  ahahahahah ahahahahah  But you must have a license to drive.  15 days detention for driving without a license and total responsibility for any accident - your fault or not.  One FT asked how to get a license and the PSB asked him how old he was - 22 next birthday was his answer (he is clearly 60+) and he was told that the law prohibits giving licenses to people over 60.  Not a happy chappy.

You will all be pleased to know that prostitution does NOT exist in China.  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk  The room wide grin was cool.  (There are only 2 foreign women in this uni, so the room was full of guys).  However, if you go to or become a prostitute your residence visa will be immediately cancelled and you'll be deported.

There is also NO discrimination in China. aoaoaoaoao  The Africans didn't agree!

General stuff about protecting your belongings, because there are a huge number of pickpockets (they gave a number but in was in the 100,000s for Xi'an so I figured the translation was dodgy).

General stuff about checking with the PSB when you go travelling to make sure where you want to go is not closed to foreigners.  Still no specific areas given that are off limits.

Then some stuff about observing and learning Chinese customs - ie no kissing and hugging when greeting people - leads to misunderstanding and in a cited case, rape.  Shake hands instead.

Question time provided some fun - one of the Africans questioned the discrimination thing - he stated that Chinese police take the side of the Chinese crim against the foreign victim, and cited where twice he has been to the police station to complain about theft, but nothing was done.  One time he took the thief with him - who managed to buy a box of apples on the way and gave it to the officer who then said, Ok - go.  The police officers said they didn't believe this story, but also pointed out that if it was a mobile, camera or less than 1000Y stolen they really don't do anything about it, because it is too small to worry about.

An interesting meeting!

Escaped Lunatic:

--- Quote from: Lotus Eater on October 29, 2008, 01:46:20 AM ---You will all be pleased to know that prostitution does NOT exist in China.  kkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkk  The room wide grin was cool.  (There are only 2 foreign women in this uni, so the room was full of guys).  However, if you go to or become a prostitute your residence visa will be immediately cancelled and you'll be deported.

--- End quote ---

Does this mean I should turn down the offer I got to become a gigolo in Shenzhen?  ananananan ananananan ananananan

Lotus Eater:
Do you want to go home soon? ahahahahah

ericthered:
Rules??? China has rules?? Imagine that...
Of course, all the houses down Brothel Alley with the pink lights, placed strategically between restaurants are not bawdy houses but respectable massage places and the girls all wear two tea-towels on a string because they are feeling very warm....yepyepyep...

Granny Mae:

--- Quote from: Escaped Lunatic on October 29, 2008, 02:07:35 AM ---
Does this mean I should turn down the offer I got to become a gigolo in Shenzhen?  ananananan ananananan ananananan

--- End quote ---

Nah! just do what many Asian folk do here in Oz. Say,sorry, I no understand,or in this case,claim that you thought they were only talking about women as prostitutes. uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu. How else will you get enough dough to fund your interesting hobbies? afafafafaf afafafafaf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version