I need help!

• 13 replies

babala

I need help!
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »
Lately at my school we have been taking on some short term contracts with various companies. With these contracts, I am not teaching the standard material provided by the school but instead coming up with my own lesson plans to suit that company's needs. Some may have seen my hotel thread. Now I have a new contract with a bank. They are interested in me teaching them all about the B-share market and the stock market. This is an area that I am not familiar with. Can anyone point me to an ESL website that may have materials or worksheets? Does anyone have any advice on this?
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
Re: I need help!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
Hi Babala.  Sorry, but I don't have the info you need.  I just wanted to wish you good luck with the project.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
I doubt such a site exists [hope someone can prove me wrong though]. You're better doing a search for basic info on these two topics. China Daily and Shanghai Daily run business sections, as does Beijing Weekly, all of which I found handy when teaching Foreign Trade students.
The best business English site I've come across covers lots of stuff, but not that.
http://esl.about.com/od/englishforbusinesswork/English_for_Business_Work_and_other_Special_Purposes.htm

What IS good fun is to set up teams, give them monopoly money [or small Chinese bank notes-same thing] and get them to become investor groups working the Shanghai bourse. They have to write weekly reports, statements to shareholders etc. See the capitalist heart beating within these tiny breasts!
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:24:12 PM »
See the capitalist heart beating within these tiny breasts!
How do you know they will be female students??
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

gonzo

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:49:02 PM »
Umm, two things.
One, I didn't want to identify myself as a MCP.
Two, you obviously need to get more personal with some Chinese ladies.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:54:54 PM »
Two, you obviously need to get more personal with some Chinese ladies.
Not allowed!!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:08:00 AM »
Babs, what Gonzo said.  And you'd be wise to scope out the bookstores- there's gotta be a textbook on that very subject.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

babala

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:01:12 AM »
It would be a good idea but the class is tomorrow  aoaoaoaoao
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 03:54:45 AM »
So you'll be discussing bull markets with bulls**t??? axaxaxaxax

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 04:19:43 AM »
I'm very curious to know how you went Babs.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 04:37:05 AM »
hope i'm still in time to help with this!

Class B Shares
A classification of common stock that may be accompanied by more or less voting rights than Class A shares. Although Class A shares are often thought to carry more voting rights than Class B shares, this is not always the case. Companies will often try to disguise the disadvantages associated with owning shares with less voting rights by naming those shares "Class A", and those with more voting rights "Class B".

For example, one Class A share may be accompanied by five voting rights, while one Class B share may be accompanied by only one right to vote, or vice versa. A detailed description of a company's different classes of stock is included in the company's bylaws and charter.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/05/shareclass.asp <-- The ABC of mutual funds

http://www.investopedia.com/university/stocks/ <-- stocks basics tutorial, I used when teaching Finance to Bank employees

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »
Please don't banter here.  llllllllll

Specialty subjects can be great to teach- and quite lucrative as well. However, in many areas you can't really fake it...the gig has to matched with a teacher who actually has at least some actual knowledge of the field. It reaches a point where no textbooks are likely to EVER exist for the specialty, and simply looking up definitions isn't going to qualify one to function in advanced business, technical, and other areas. If a teacher can't be provided who knows what they're doing, one maybe should consider not accepting the contract...odious though that concept may be.

I've been very lucky; my life as an easily-bored Celtic dromomanic compulsive reader has finally found a home. An MBA and 2 B.Sc degrees in the sciences/maths, plus a pathologically diverse experiential background, mean I can teach an exceptionally broad palette of subjects. However, I still turn down some work simply because I have no knowledge of the subject. (For example, I just turned down a gig teaching Cost Accounting, which thank God I only know a little about...  aaaaaaaaaa)

Another aspect of specialty subjects...it's tempting to try and chase down every field that people ask you to teach, and to provide a program to match all those fields. However, you quickly come to realize that it isn't worth it. Developing a course of study is hard, labor-intensive work...too much for something that you're probably only going to use once or twice. It's usually best to confine your efforts to fields that truly have a market and will make it worth your time and trouble.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 07:11:03 PM »
Hey guys. I'm sooooo very happy to say that the bank called to tell me that they would prefer general conversation instead of discussion about the stock market  ahahahahah

Raoul,
       I didn't find out about the stock market topic until 10 minutes before their first class here. I figured I was teaching them basic banking vocab (which I am comfortable with). This isn't a extra job. It's my school that takes the contracts and then they tell what the customer wants. For the most part it's been a nice break from teaching the usual materials I have been teaching for the last 3 or so years but I am truly glad they changed their minds on this one.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 07:22:56 PM »
A good ending!  agagagagag

If the school gets you into stuff like this, though, then let the school sweat finding you a curriculum.  cbcbcbcbcb
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)