Things I Just Won't Do For Work

• 105 replies
Re: Things I Just Won't Do For Work
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 10:42:45 PM »
Didn't Bush throw up on the Japanese President at a dinner?  Not that I would want to live up to that reputation.  bibibibibi
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Newbs

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 10:46:03 PM »
Prime Minister I think DS, but you're dead right.  Just finished watching that episode of the Simpsons, where Bush moves in across the road.  One of his lines is "I'll ruin you quicker than a Japanese banquet." uuuuuuuuuu

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 06:12:41 AM »
This is an on-topic area. Please.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 08:35:26 AM »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:40:59 AM by decurso »

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 08:48:47 AM »
Ahem...a wee accident there.What I meant to say in response to Con's post was this...

Amen brother. To get this back on topic it's always a good idea to find out what materials are being used. If you think they suck either get them to change up(which they won't because schools get "special" discounts for using certain books) or politley decline. I put Cambridge Young Learner, Welcome to English and Expressways 3-4(the first two are good for older beginners) in this category.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 10:58:06 PM »
Amen on "No Concept English." Terrible boring spoon-feeder books.

Thought of another one.
I won't teach without at least a ~5-minute break between classes.
A lot of the so-called training centers will try and put you into 3-4 hours of classes without any break at all, so they can maximize their profit, schedules, and utilization. They tried it at Web and we shouted 'em down...simply refused to play along until they finally backed down from it.

I just won't do this. I don't require an elaborate break, but I AM going to take 5 minutes or so between classes to smoke a cigarette, curse and grumble, and clear my head. Without this I become uncomfortable...and less effective. Once in a while a student will complain about this; I patiently explain that I am not a machine, can't go on for hours without a stop, and don't make the schedule.
If this doesn't satisfy them, they are welcome to bite me.  uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »
I will not go out to promote the school in any matter that I consider undignified. Meaning I will go out to a business and give a speaach on the importance of learning English, I will not go to the local KFC to have people gawk at me.

I will not allow course consultants to run into my office 1 minute before a demo class and change what I have planned (they tried that one last night)

I will not be subject to any kind of fine.

I won't take extra time in a class with a student who has insisted on being put in a level that isn't suitable for them (eg. beginner student in an intermediate class)
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

old34

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 04:08:28 AM »
I won't (or at least will try very hard not to) let any issues between the school, administration,and/or FAO and myself affect my obligation to my students in each and every class.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »
Very much so, o34.
But that I do for them. And for me. Not for the school...

A lot of good 'won'ts' coming up in here.
You guys been around a bit.  agagagagag

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 01:31:21 PM »
Be careful about some of the 'won't'.  I.E. teaching out of set textbooks.  If the students have bought the book, paid good money for it, and feel safer with it, for me you then have a professional responsibility to at least use it as a basis or reference.  Otherwise they've wasted money and if your students are like mine, they don
t have money to waste.  It's unfair to them.

Even if you hate the structure etc, there has to be some way you can use the material.

I have no problems with fines or penalties for breaking contracts - both ways.   Happens with every contract all over the world.  Why should it be different here?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 05:18:34 PM »
Yeah, a distinction should be made here.
I really hate "No Concept English" and think it's a terrible book, but I'll teach from it if I must. I don't expect to dictate the text.

However, I think what we're mainly talking about here is accepting a new job, not changing things once you've taken it.

I have zero respect for contract-breach fines. I don't care what it says in the contract, these things exist solely for THEIR protection, not for ours. The only way you'll ever get such a fine out of a Chinese school owner is to beat it out of him.  cbcbcbcbcb
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:27:14 PM by Raoul Duke »

babala

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 07:20:32 PM »
LE,
   When I mentioned about fines I actually wasn't thinking of the breach clause (although I don't have that in mine). I was thinking more along the lines of ridiculous fines like if you miss a class, you owe 200 RMB even though you are not paid 200 RMB per class. There are some Web schools that will fine you if you punch in 1 minute late, the fine being 50 RMB. Now if a teacher works 1 - 9 and their first class isn't until 3pm but the Web will fine them 50 RMB if they punch in at 1.01pm??? No way!
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »
This is one of my major beefs with Web International. They are the industry standard of unconscionable idiot rules and practices- fines if you're late, fines if you call in sick, no breaks, lunatic paltry "allowances" for housing and travel, and so on.

What's worse, Web clones started by opportunistic for Web staffers are popping up like toadstools after a Spring rain...and they use Web as the template for these matters. Arguing that because of these very rules Web can't keep a foreign teacher for more than 6 weeks simply evokes a moronic, slack-jawed grin of non-comprehension.

It might be understandable if these things were only aimed at teachers who abuse their privileges, but they're not. You can bring in your former appendix in a jar of formaldehyde, and Web will still assess the fine.

And start looking for the replacement teacher they know they're about to need.  ayayayayay

babala

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 08:11:17 PM »
That's true Raoul. All of the Webs I have worked at have never had that stupid fine policy or care when you punch in. That's probably why I have reamined. Where I am now, the rest of the staff punch in but not the teachers. The training centre across the street doesn't let their teachers leave during their shift. We go in and out as we please. Training centres are starting to demand more and pay less.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 11:14:55 PM »
Training centres are starting to demand more and pay less.

Indeed they are. And I think it's really important that we not let that happen.

That is indeed also one saving grace of Web...some of the outlets are relatively sane and decent. Or so I keep hearing...Suzhou Web was so-so at best.