Things I Just Won't Do For Work

• 105 replies

Mimi

Re: Things I Just Won't Do For Work
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 08:19:44 PM »
I dislike writing on any kind of board, because my handwriting is terrible!!  But having just come off of being a desperately broke college student who would work any job just to have gas in my car and a place to live, I am not very particular.

old34

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2007, 02:44:55 AM »
Plus as an added bonus, the more you write the stronger your arm will become.

Missi, how strong is your arm? The national college baseball tournament is next week in Beijing and I've only got one pitcher and we're looking at 4 games in 5 days. bibibibibi
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »
Please be on-topic here. agagagagag
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2007, 05:56:40 AM »

*A new one is never accept a job that requires one to leave the city, even if transportation is included.

*Second, if you cancel more than once, tough shite, I am not making it up!

These two rules comes from my Saturday job. I was talked into working a company class outside of Hangzhou but was told that it was near Shaoxing. Turns out the job is way outside of town, and I am stuck riding with a young kid who drives like a complete mope and I have to be really stoned just not to strangle him.

The problem with this company is that they cancel about half of the classes. Then the boss expects us to go when they want us to go. That's BS in my opinion. We have had this class since March and still have not finished the introductary level. I told the boss that I will do it one more month and then I quit. If you want to take a job outside of town (for some reason) find out exactly how far this place is and how much time it takes to get there, then negotiate the time in the car sitting when you could be in town earning. I got the shaft on the "sitting on my ass in the car" deal.

From the Center of the Oriental Universe,杭州,

Senor

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2007, 09:10:32 AM »
I won't travel outside the city without adequate compensation.

I won't stand for students talking on their phones right in front of me in class.  If adult students answer and scuttle outside to talk, fine; they have jobs to do.  But college students better toe the line on this one.

I won't be a playmate for an uppity tutoring student who doesn't know who's boss.  Tutoring gigs pay well, but being an 8 year-old's Toby ain't worth it.

I won't have my social time pimped out.  Okay, once in a while mucky-mucks come into town and dinner is arranged on short notice; I accept that shining these guys is part of laowai's job.  But if they expect me to drop everyting and run off to some Do on a half-hour's notice, I'll check my social calendar, and if I'm spoken for, tough titties.

I will not endorse any product unless I believe in its quality.  This has actually happened; fortunately my school sympathized with me.

I will not sleep with any omre runway models just because they're related to my FAO.  I'm not a piece of meat.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 10:58:53 AM »
I will not sleep with any omre runway models just because they're related to my FAO
Yeah! Those omre models are bad news!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2007, 04:27:20 AM »
This on-topic thread has gone from the topic to kinda silly whiny stuff to just plain old banter. Please...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2007, 05:34:52 AM »
New Concept English IS bullshit, especially when it is used to teach oral Engilsh. But for basic English teaching, it's ok, it's usually ok for a Chinese teacher. Got to say that, i think NCE should have been put into fire. Just can't understand why some so-called BIG schools, such as Only Edu, keep telling their students that NCE is a magic book. Sometimes the fact that Chinese training centers keep fooling Chinese students by telling them wrong way in which English should be learned. Anyway it's easy for those centers to find a teach who can teach NCE at a very low price. Maybe that's the scecret: what they care is money, only money.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 06:08:37 AM »
I've heard reports that school owners are sometimes paid kickbacks if they select "No Concept English" for their schools.
It's not a dealbreaker for me. I'll use the bastard if forced to, but will make a lot of noise about it in the process. If a school where I'm applying mentions they use it, that school immediately drops a notch in my estimation of them.

old34

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2007, 06:28:40 AM »
Whenever a Chinese student someone asks me my opinion of New Concept English, I tell them to go look at the first page of whatever edition they have.

English edition © L. G. Alexander, 1967

Kind of negates the "New" in New Concept English. They get the point.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2007, 02:26:49 PM »
The trouble down here is that No Concept English is highly desired by the students who all think that (apart from Crazy English) it is the one to learn. No doubt that misconception is pushed along by the schols who get a good deal on purchasing & selling them at muchly inflated prices to the students.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

babala

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007, 11:18:26 PM »
Here's an issue that just came up for me. I will not accept anything less than 100 RMB an hour for teaching part-time. I have been with Web for the summer and thought I would stay on p/t as it's such an easy gig for me but they offered me 4000 RMB per month for 48 classes. Needless to say I told them what they could do with that offer.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2007, 06:32:30 PM »
I will not accept anything less than 100 RMB an hour for teaching part-time.
Where are you? My experience has been in Fujian and Zhuhai. I consider 150 normal, would interpret an offer of 100 as either a joke or a negotiating ploy. A bad one in either case.

I have taken as little as 120 for easy extra work at a school connected to my main employer and 100 for one-on-one tutoring. Not for teaching normal classes.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2007, 05:56:23 AM »
I'm with Pashley. My answering machine turns down offers under 150 per.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2007, 03:23:30 PM »
Where I am, most FEs get 50 per hour. I won't get out of bed for less than 100, and going to bump it up next offer, which makes me pretty outrageous in this area,in the deep dark south. I'm upping it to 150, but will probably take 120. That's per class, not a real hour.For other things, like advertising I'm asking for 1000 per day or 400 for an hour because they spend most of the time at dinner, or talking, or showing me around factories etc that I don't give a toss about, wasting time. So an hour is actually half a day, and a day is more than eight hours. How these people waste time.And I hate trying to do work stuffed to the gills. Why not eat AFTER work, and then can have a beer too?

What I won't do for work, well, lots of you got most of it, but the one thing not mentioned that I really won't do is dance, sing a song or otherwise leap about like a goose. I keep telling them I am an educator, not an entertainer, you got the wrong one of my mother's sons.

Twice so far, I have got up to walk off, after explaining several times that I find it insulting and demeaning and pointless. One place I went to, I went for free to just talk to high school kids who hadn't met a foreigner, and wanted me to talk to the kids, with the understanding it is like an English Corner. My wife's colleague's friend ran it so I said OK. Then I get there there is a stage, and the headmistress introduced me by microphone and said I was going to sing a song. I went no, sorry, explained again it my position. So she said, how about a dance? So I started walking away, up to my wife and her colleague, and said, "Let's go". In the end to save their various faces, I did an English corner type thingy, and refused all offers including good money to go there ever again. For any reason.

asasasasas bbbbbbbbbb

I ask you, do the Chinese teachers to that? I think not.I noticed it was just students on the stage, the teachers maintaining a quiet dignity ....

A pity, the kids were nice.

Had similar issues at another place grrrrrr.

Dancing Monkey Syndrome, and I for one won't peel bananas with my feet for the entertainment of the peasant masses.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.